shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this OEC?

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I'm considering this OEC, but would love to get experts' opinions. The seller describes it as 1.50 ct, I/J in color, VS2 clarity. Spread is about 7.00-7.50 in diameter and 4.00mm deep, does that sound right for its carat weight? When I asked about a cert, he mentioned an insurance appraisal by a GIA gemologist, but I didn't ask too many questions about the cert. There is a 7 day return policy. He was able to send me several photos, and would be willing to sell the stone loose since I'm not a huge fan of the setting. These pictures aren't great, but I'd love to get thoughts anyone might have about this stone. Thanks so much!

6511a.JPG

6511b.JPG

6511f.JPG

MVC-033F.JPG

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
and a couple more. Thanks again!

MVC-017F.JPG

MVC-016F.JPG

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful. 4mm seems a little shallow for that size stone but you will find that OECs are all so different. The main thing is that it performs well to your eyes.

lindacat

Rough_Rock
Why don't you just buy a loose stone to start with instead of having this one removed from the ring? I hate to see such a beautiful piece of history taken apart. There are plenty of OEC loose stones for sale out there, so not sure why you are wanting to do this.
Just my opinion - and also, the stone may appear much different when not a part of this ring that it was designed for!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
lindacat|1336479190|3189964 said:
Why don't you just buy a loose stone to start with instead of having this one removed from the ring? I hate to see such a beautiful piece of history taken apart. There are plenty of OEC loose stones for sale out there, so not sure why you are wanting to do this.
Just my opinion - and also, the stone may appear much different when not a part of this ring that it was designed for!

That's very true. I was thinking of using the setting for a RHR, maybe put in a sapphire or moissanite, but when I mentioned that to the jeweler, he said he'd be willing to sell the stone loose. He also sent me a few other options including an old mine cut, but it didn't quite speak to me the way this one did. I've been perusing ebay for loose European cut stones, but haven't found anything that fits what I'm looking for. I also check out JbEG and once in a while, OWD and Ruby Lane. Any other suggestions to find loose stones?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pass pass pass pass. It has a nasty fish eye -- can you see the circle of hazy/mushy looking area that is under the outer edge of the table? I attached a photo with the bad areas circles in red. Those areas will look dark and unpleasant in person, or hazy, and will not show nice crisp on-off scintillation.There is a possibility that the stone does not show that fish eye in person, but since I can see it in most of the photos, this is one I would pass on personally.

Re setting: There is no way to know if the mount is period authentic or that the stone was its original occupant. I don't think keeping it intact is a consideration. But as I said, I would not consider this stone further anyway, so its moot ;))

nastyfisheye.png

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Dreamer!!! You definitely helped me dodge a bullet. Part of me could see the beauty, but something in me was like, this doesn't feel right.

How about this one? Also 1.5ct, GIA certed J/VVS2, but different seller.

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 10.51.42 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 10.52.12 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 10.52.25 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 10.52.42 PM.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That one shows promise and could be worth looking at. I would only consider it if the mount is one you like since it would be destroyed to remove the stone. The GIA report is a nice plus.

As a matter of personal taste, the table is lager and the crown shallower that I personally prefer, but you would need to see it in person to know your own preferences.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results