shape
carat
color
clarity

did your parents throw you a party when...

Haven|1335970029|3185662 said:
So many of you are so lucky that your parents paid for college.

I own that I was very lucky. I didn't have to take out loans and didn't have to work except summers. I was lucky that my grandparents could afford it. I was lucky it was at a time when college didn't cost what it does today. I look at the "landscape" of admissions and costs today and it's overwhelming. I'm truly grateful that my grandparents did that for me. I'm grateful that I had every opportunity I could have had. And I met SO because we were both students. This is off topic but he was such a sweetheart last night. He was in such a positive, wonderful, loving mood. It was a big morale boost for both of us. I'm still kind of walking on air. Ok, I'll stop before I make anyone want to throw up. :D

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
No party. I got a really nice watch, though, and I still wear it 8 years later.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I'm not into graduation parties. I just finished up my second degree...went out to dinner with my parents and then out to the bars with my friends to celebrate. Good enough for me! I did get a nice gift from the husband.

I remember after HS SO many people had graduation parties that it was actually kind of annoying and not fun anymore.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Parents took me (and my sister) out to eat at a restaurant right after HS graduation. They didn't tell us about it ahead of time and I was actually not happy about it at the time because a bunch of people I knew were talking about doing something right afterwards, but I had to leave because they made a reservation. Not as appreciative as I should have been :tongue: .
Nothing for college (mom came to ceremony, Dad did not), parents didn't plan to attend my PhD graduation ceremony so I blew it off as well. However my parents paid for my college anything that was not covered by my scholarship, so definitely not complaining!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Imdanny|1335980529|3185812 said:
isaku5|1335974404|3185722 said:
The crowning glory, though, was after we came back home my favourite aunt sent a card with a lovely letter and it was addressed to Jane Doe BA

I like that! :))

My favorite aunt used to send me cards addressed to "Master Danny" when I was a kid.

This is actually one of my pet peeves, that BA as an academic title can only be used after your name.

I Am Danny, BA

I am so jealous (well, not really because he earned it but still) of my best friend from college who is now "Dr. So and So".

That's a title I would like to have. But I'm done with school. I could never go back to school at this stage. Sigh. :saint:

When you were a kid, it was perfectly correct to call you master. It is an outdated male version of miss and it was used until the young man was in his mid teens. It was in use in the mid 19th century but I am not sure when it died out. You can see it in use in the Bronte sisters' novels, in Dickens and I believe there is a few instances in Jane Austen (Persuasion and Mansfield Park).

That is my useless knowledge of the day.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1335969909|3185657 said:
Yep, and yep. My sister also. My brother got one for HS but he graduated in December from College (a semester early) so he just never got around to the party. He's been out for like 3 years now, but since he just bought a house we might throw a housewarming party / belated college grad party for him.
I guess I should mention that my brother is in the process of his Masters, my sister and I both have them, and she is about to start her doctorate. For our Masters we just had a fancy meal, no party. Our grandparents gave us money as a gift as did our parents, but no one else in the families were involved.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HS graduation was a smallish (20 people or so -- just family) gathering in our back yard for cake --- and that was only because my grandmother insisted (my mother couldn't tell a woman dying of cancer that she couldn't have a celebration...). When my brother graduated, there wasn't anything.

I'll let you know about college in a few quarters!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My youngest son graduates from college this Sunday!!! Yippee, I will be rich!!! No party, no gifts. Will will go wherever he wants for dinner.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No party. We did go out to lunch after the graduation ceremony, I don't remember anything about it, it was just lunch. No gift either. But I didn't expect anything at all either. My Law School graduation got a party and an expensive gift (that I didn't want). It was nice. Graduating college isn't really seen as much of an achievement in my family, it's like graduating highschool or junior high. Just what you do. (I'm not saying I agree with that viewpoint I'm just explaining it). My parents did pay for college though, and I paid for law school. Law school was the only educational achievement my family celebrated.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No parties, though had they offered I likely would have declined as its not really my thing and all of my family lives overseas anyways. I'm graduating medical school in 10 days, which is also mothers day, so I'm sure we'll go out to dinner.

I graduate a year early from college and decided not to walk since I didn't know most of that years class, so my parents weren't around during graduation time anyways. I promised I'd walk at my med school one lol.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
No party, but they did give me a nice gift consisting of a check large enough to pay back all my student loans. :))

DH and I got married 3 weeks later, and my parents then threw me a very nice party and we got lots of gifts then. :bigsmile:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No and No. They came late to graduation and got an air kiss as they left for the airport.

I was surrounded by so many friends and their familie's plus my husbands family that it was all good..

codymanning1126

Rough_Rock
No, have a dinner in a great restaurant. But i feel that's also warm in our heart. :))

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
LOL, I still use 'Master John Smith' if I'm sending letters or cards or invitations to a boy under the age of 16... I'm old-fashioned and a stickler for Correct Form though. :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1336008510|3186214 said:
No party. We did go out to lunch after the graduation ceremony, I don't remember anything about it, it was just lunch. No gift either. But I didn't expect anything at all either. My Law School graduation got a party and an expensive gift (that I didn't want). It was nice. Graduating college isn't really seen as much of an achievement in my family, it's like graduating highschool or junior high. Just what you do. (I'm not saying I agree with that viewpoint I'm just explaining it). My parents did pay for college though, and I paid for law school. Law school was the only educational achievement my family celebrated.
My dad kind of thought the same of college, that it was expected. We didn't really get a choice, and we were expected to work simultaneously (except my brother per terms of his scholarship). My mom quit school to work and have kids, and went back later to finish when we were older. She was very proud of herself for that, and my dad was very proud that his hard work and schooling afforded her that "luxury". If any of my cousins didn't go right to college, they put themselves through later. I do know that my dad and his one sister are the only ones of his siblings that have been through school, and she through her doctorate with two masters, and he through his masters. All of my mom's siblings are engineers with varying levels of degrees, Bachelors and up. She got her bachelors when she went back. My parents, esp my dad, was particularly proud that he paid for our schooling, though my brother got a full ride with scholarships for sports and grades. He worked his butt off as a kid and teen to pay for his private schooling and college, and he wanted us to be well educated. In my field, I am well beyond "over educated" but because I got an advanced degrees I am now able to corrupt the minds of childre...er...teach all grades.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I paid for my own college. I was in my thirties, and nope, no party.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1335993169|3186011 said:
Imdanny|1335980529|3185812 said:
isaku5|1335974404|3185722 said:
The crowning glory, though, was after we came back home my favourite aunt sent a card with a lovely letter and it was addressed to Jane Doe BA

I like that! :))

My favorite aunt used to send me cards addressed to "Master Danny" when I was a kid.

This is actually one of my pet peeves, that BA as an academic title can only be used after your name.

I Am Danny, BA

I am so jealous (well, not really because he earned it but still) of my best friend from college who is now "Dr. So and So".

That's a title I would like to have. But I'm done with school. I could never go back to school at this stage. Sigh. :saint:

When you were a kid, it was perfectly correct to call you master. It is an outdated male version of miss and it was used until the young man was in his mid teens. It was in use in the mid 19th century but I am not sure when it died out. You can see it in use in the Bronte sisters' novels, in Dickens and I believe there is a few instances in Jane Austen (Persuasion and Mansfield Park).

That is my useless knowledge of the day.
People still use master to address young boys! For example, our wedding invites were addressed to "Master Young Boy" for all of the boys on our guest list who were 13 and younger. Miss Young Girl for the young ladies, of course.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. My mother paid for my graduation photograph. My father paid for a dinner at Swiss Chalet.

Sure seemed like a much bigger deal to graduate from university, in MY mind, than it did in anyone elses apparently!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
No and no. Hardly a congrats, save my two sweet sisters! I was in my late 20's, a young Mom and "parentless" when I graduated from University. No one really cared but me! But I was very proud of my accomplishment (and know my Mom would have been too!) :bigsmile:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Elementary school: yes good old Italian family gathering
High School :yes same as above and I got lots of savings bonds!
College: no because i was getting married the next weekend and that was party enough!!
Masters degree: no but they gifted me money, I was married by then so hubby and kids threw me a party!!
BUT my parents helped throw a huge party to celebrate end of Chemo in 1995. Lots of friends and family it was cool.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
My family and SO and I went out for an informal dinner after my graduation, and my grandparents/parents together gave me a lovely Longines watch. Which i love and still wear (6 or so years on). But it wasnt a big deal, i think in Australia going to university is just the done thing for middle-class kids. My Masters graduation would have warranted another dinner im sure but i was overseas and missed it.

I too was lucky enough to have my grandparents pay for my undergrad degree which was such a gift, though of course in Australia they're not so expensive! i guess im also lucky im an only grandchild on one side of the family =)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elisateach|1336140394|3187401 said:
College: no because i was getting married the next weekend and that was party enough!!
Masters degree: no but they gifted me money, I was married by then so hubby and kids threw me a party!!
BUT my parents helped throw a huge party to celebrate end of Chemo in 1995. Lots of friends and family it was cool.

Oh my!!! Congrats for being 17 years cancer free (I'm hoping you ARE 17 years in remission??) Yes indeed! That is probably worth celebrating more than any other accomplishment. Stay healthy Elisateach!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1336149669|3187553 said:
Elisateach|1336140394|3187401 said:

Oh my!!! Congrats for being 17 years cancer free (I'm hoping you ARE 17 years in remission??) Yes indeed! That is probably worth celebrating more than any other accomplishment. Stay healthy Elisateach!

Enerchi,
YES!! I am a 17 year stage 2 Breast Cancer survivor!!! :appl: Thank you for asking! We celebrate March 1 every year as that was my surgery day, and again Sept 30th!! It was really weird hearing my oncologist tell me 7 years ago... good bye go away and never come back!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
4ever|1335943615|3185516 said:
No and no. My parents paid my tuition fees, that was gift enough.

This. The thought never even crossed my mind...of course, they were also busy saving for a couple of weddings! ;))

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
For HS, I had a party and got some lovely jewelry and monetary gifts.
For undergrad, we went out to lunch, no party but I got diamond studs from my parents.
For grad school, we went out for dinner and my parents gave me money toward Lasik surgery. It was literally the shining moment in my graduate school experience, which was clouded with a cancer diagnosis and some other stuff that happened to make it not a great memory in my life. But, it's over and I got through so now to use my degree. ;))

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
No, as I am not really the partying type and I graduated college a year earlier than I planned. I finished my degree requirements and I had planned to stay another year to get my teacher certification and take some graduate classes. However, I was head over heels in love,and I decided to follow my SO to Philly for his fellowship. Probably should have had a party - I graduated Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude.

i did get a few gifts though.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
No. We did that when I graduated from high school. IMHO graduation parties are for teens, not adults.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1336092352|3187033 said:
I paid for my own college. I was in my thirties, and nope, no party.

Good job, Holly! You rock! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes they threw me a party and yes I got gifts.
Like, a party in our house where my mother served chicken and potato salad that she made and they showed photos and I got some envelopes with $10 or $25 in them (it was 1979). It was very low key.
and I was grateful.
Unlike my eldest son who is now 27 and phoned up last week complaining about the catered party that we gave him when he graduated from college. Two years later when he came back from the Peace corps we gave him a car. He isn't complaining about the car yet but he sure was complaining about the party (6 years ago) and talking about what we should when he graduates from grad school differently.
Kicker--He isn't in grad school and doesn't look likely to be in grad school any time soon.
Greedy and entitled--what can I say?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results