shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help With A Vintage European Cut

Patrickj

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have recieved plenty of valuable info from everyone so thank you in advance. I am interested in purchasing a vintage ring for my girlfriend which she absolutely adores, but need to make sure it's a good deal. Below are the specifics:

1.75 carat round brilliant
Old European cut in a vintage styled rose gold setting
K (looks colorless to me)
S1
Ideal cut
Depth seems ideal as it looks close to a two carat.

It retailed for $16,800 and I made an offer for 12,400 with tax included, which they accepted. I don't know much about the old mine cuts and european cuts so not sure if this is a good deal. My girlfriend saw the ring and loves it. Initially she wanted a modern halo setting but fell in love with this particular ring.

Any help, advice, suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!!
-P

Patrickj

Rough_Rock
In addition, I forgot to mention that it's EGL.

Thanks again!!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post the stats on the EGL report? I am not very knowledgeable about "ideal" for an old cut , but I know the other experts may want to know some of the stats. Also, have you seen it in person? The stats will tell you a little, your eyes will tell you a lot!

Any pics??

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We'd need a photo to comment on the stone. Basic specs would also be helpful ( depth, table, etc.).

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
It is impossible to know if that is a good deal or not without knowing the particulars of that 1.75 c diamond. If the diamond is not a good performer it might be a bad deal.

Here is a GIA K IF 1.66 cushion diamond that faces up like a 2c cushion. The faceting is lovely and I believe James Allen will supply an ASET so you can see how good of light return it has. And the price is a little over $8,000 for the stone which could be set in a rose gold antique style ring for probably around $2,000.

Just a comparison that might help you decide if you are getting a "good deal".

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-IF-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1471593.asp 1.66c K IF awesome OMC! $8,400

This August Vintage Round would be in your price range too with a AGS certification and lots of lab reports showing that it is a great performing stone.

Personally, I would go with this stone with your budget:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9273/
Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 1.76ct
Color: K
Clarity: SI2
Optical Symmetry: August Vintage
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: Medium
Lab Report: AGS
Lab Report #: 104057539003
In House: Yes
Width: 7.70mm
Length: 7.73mm
Depth: 4.78mm
Table Percentage: 53.11%
Depth Percentage: 61.80%
Crown ∠: 35.56°
Crown Depth: 16.81%
Pavilion ∠: 41.48°
Pavilion Depth: 42.67%
Policy: Lifetime Guarantee
Bank wire price: $10,560)

Maybe by comparing the ring you found to some better graded stones you can get a better idea if the ring you found is a good deal. If your GF doesn't have her heart set on an antique ring these might be better choices.

If EGL says it is K SI1 it is most likely an L/M SI2
Hope this helps.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results