shape
carat
color
clarity

Did anyone here get laser eye surgery?

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I've been considering laser eye surgery for years now, but so far I've been too chicken to do it because I have thin corneas and a strong astigmatism. (plus the money part). Now that I've been told I can't wear contacts anymore, I'm considering laser again, figuring that there should have been advances in technology over that past few years, right?
I know 4 people who had it done. The two that did PRK love the results and of the two that did LASIK, one is happy with the results and the other had complications and has reading glasses, driving glasses, computer glasses, etc.

So.... All this to ask, did any of you get laser eye surgery, did you have any complications, and are you happy with the results? Would you even consider laser?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Like you, I was nervous to get surgery for many, many years. Now I'm mad at myself for not getting it sooner. I had LASIK in August 2008. I also had severe astigmatism and because of that, my contacts were not fitting properly and causing serious irritation, so much so that I could only wear glasses. I couldn't deal with that so I got the surgery. I went with someone highly recommended by my eye doc. It was $3300 but that included the procedure, medications, and a lifetime of free "touchups" if I ever needed them. A day after surgery I was seeing 20/20, and three day after surgery I could see 20/15 and my astigmatism was corrected. My only complication is that nighttime driving always seems kind of dark for me. Not that I can't see, but it's not my favorite thing to do. It really is a minor inconvenience though compared to the benefits. With eye surgery, you get what you pay for, so choose a doctor that has a great reputation, not the one that's cheapest. You don't want to skimp on something as valuable as your eyes.

Good luck!! I hope you go through with it because it was one of the best decisions I've ever, ever made!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I had mine (Lasik) done several years ago. Absolutely no complications. I'd worn glasses/contacts for over 20 years, and now I don't even think about it. It was expensive (it is pricey here in Australia) but it was the best money I ever spent.

My husband had his done a couple of years ago, he sad some minor problems in the first couple of days with swelling in his eyelids, but he has puffy eyes anyway. Otherwise, his vision is perfect now as well.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had PRK and was happy with the results (except my night vision got MUCH worse) but now, 10 years later I need glasses again. I was too young and should have waited until I was older. My sister and SIL got LASIKs, also both currently wear glasses. My dad got LASIK and still has perfect vision (which is why I relate the success to his age). I don't think I would get tweaked b/c I do know people with too many side effects (like halos which would drive me insane).

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
DH and I both had it about 10 years ago. I am 20/20 in my right eye, and 20/25 in my left.

I do wear reading glasses, but at 48 it is inevitable.

My husband does not need reading glasses,but he does wear glasses, just to drive at night. His doctor undercorrected one eye, in order to stave off the need for reading glasses (monovision). He says that he would prefer to have his distance vision perfect, and use the reading glasses.

Neither of us have had any complications.

Good Luck!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I had LASIK three years ago. It's amazing. Best thing I ever did. Do it immediately! :))

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I can't say that I'm not scared about this... I only have one pair of eyes, but I REALLY hate wearing glasses!

It's good to hear all the real answers about how long the results lasted and the side effects like halos and night vision problems.

Thanks for the replies!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my eyes corrected in January. I got mono vision since I'd been wearing bifocals and didn't want to deal with reading glasses. I had thought the mono vision would be like the blended contact lenses I used to wear - where the "reading" eye was optimized for near sight but still had some distance correction. That's not the case - the reading eye is for reading only and doesn't contribute at all to distance vision. This hasn't caused me any problems, but I think I will look into getting glasses to add some distance vision to that eye for driving only. At my age, every little bit of vision helps when driving, especially at night. So I will end up with at least one pair of glasses for driving.

I also have pretty bad astigmatism and as you've probably figured out, I need near and far-sight correction. (My distance vision was in the 500- 600/20 range.) The very best correction I ever had was when I could wear bifocal gas-permeable hard lenses. Once that option went away I was left with glasses, which didn't offer nearly the same quality of correction. Add to that the fact that I never got used to wearing glasses, I felt they limited my jewlry options, and that I was starting to get pain where the glasses rested on the bridge of my nose. The lasik has resulted in great correction for both distance vision and reading-distance work. The one thing I regret is that I did lose my some of my near-near vision (you know, when you take off your glasses and can see things that you hold very near your eyes very clearly?). A bit of it has come back - I can now read the fine print on most OTC medicine packaging - but I've taken to carrying a 10X loupe in my purse so I can read hallmarks on jewelry, etc. :wink2: Halos at night were a huge problem for the first few weeks and I was scared that they'd never go away and that I had limited my mobility by opting for the surgery. That problem has subsided a lot, and I suspect the halos are no worse now than they would have been if I'd been driving with glasses without anti-reflective coating.

Good luck!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I had LASIK in 2005 and I had a postive experience with the surgery and recovery. But, unfortunately, I'm one of the low percentage for whom the surgery was not permanant. My eyesight was something like 20/200 pre-surgery, and immediately afterwards was 20/20. But now, almost 7 years later, it's deteriorated to where I wear glasses or contacts full-time again. It's nowhere near as bad as before (something like 20/50 or 20/60 now?) but not what I expected getting the surgery. The place I got it will offer a lifetime guarantee and will do a second touchup surgery, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get that done because I have dry eyes as a result of the surgery, which would interfere with healing from a second surgery so they won't go forward with it. My situation is definitely not the norm (they said something like <5% require a second surgery) but just worth knowing and asking about when you go in for a consult. Good luck!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
best thing i've ever done. get a few consultations with a few different clinics running, and go with whom you feel the most comfortable with! only they can tell you if you're an ideal candidate or not : ) good luck! and i hope you'll enjoy your new eyes as much as i do!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
stephb0lt|1332256414|3152762 said:
I had LASIK in 2005 and I had a postive experience with the surgery and recovery. But, unfortunately, I'm one of the low percentage for whom the surgery was not permanant. My eyesight was something like 20/200 pre-surgery, and immediately afterwards was 20/20. But now, almost 7 years later, it's deteriorated to where I wear glasses or contacts full-time again. It's nowhere near as bad as before (something like 20/50 or 20/60 now?) but not what I expected getting the surgery. The place I got it will offer a lifetime guarantee and will do a second touchup surgery, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get that done because I have dry eyes as a result of the surgery, which would interfere with healing from a second surgery so they won't go forward with it. My situation is definitely not the norm (they said something like <5% require a second surgery) but just worth knowing and asking about when you go in for a consult. Good luck!

I bet it is higher than that. I know several people who now need glasses (myself included). I actually only know one person that still has perfect vision.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I had Lasix in 2001. I had a pretty bad astigmatism and don't think it was completely corrected, because I find myself sometimes squinting to read small print now. I also hate driving at night because the head lights look like halos. That being said, I do have some "good eye days" as I call them, where everything is perfectly crisp and clear, usually after I've had a very refreshing night of sleep. I don't regret it for a minute. My vision was horrible before, and not having to deal with contacts and/or glasses has been a godsend!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1332264380|3152892 said:

I bet it is higher than that. I know several people who now need glasses (myself included). I actually only know one person that still has perfect vision.

How long has it been since your surgery? My doctor did say that I will almost certainly need reading glasses "down the road" in my 40's and 50's, but I was 24 when I got the surgery so the thought of even 20 years without contacts or glasses made it far worth it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1332296294|3153242 said:
Tacori E-ring|1332264380|3152892 said:

How long has it been since your surgery? My doctor did say that I will almost certainly need reading glasses "down the road" in my 40's and 50's, but I was 24 when I got the surgery so the thought of even 20 years without contacts or glasses made it far worth it.

10 years ago. I am in my early 30s.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results