shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC or Tranny...which one to keep?

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Really an odd twist here. I have always envied those that just drop into a shop and trip over a huge beautiful old diamond.
Yesterday, I was with the kids and stopped in to look at settings in a second hand jewelry shop. I was telling them my story and what I was doing with my current stone and they brought out this MAGNIFICENT ring! The jeweler kept referring to it as an OMC. I tried to explain what I, in my short 11 months of oogling these things, thought it really was.

Either way, I couldn't pass it up. Here's why, #1, it is big. #2 it is beautiful, #3 (and the real kicker) it is almost the exact same dimensions as my OEC.

My OEC (per EGL prelim report) is
2.43 ct
8.8 x 8.5 x 4.94
J, VS1

This Transitional cut (per the appraisal that came with the ring) is
2.56 (est)
8.8 x 8.6 x 5.34
M, VVS2

Currently the jeweler is re-shanking the ring and checking prongs, etc. So I don't have any really good photos of the facet structure of the transitional. However, I got some on my Iphone yesterday and did my best. It would not behave (kept flashing me :naughty: ) but I will get some good ones in a couple of days when the ring is returned to me.

Now, I have ONE diamond too many. Would love to hear thoughts. Not sure if this is allowed, but I have to thank Erica for coaching me with this. I think she was just as excited as I was about this find! She is awesome and has offered to switch stones for me if I decide to keep the OEC.

Thanks in advance!

***moderators, if this belongs in another thread, let me know. I just wasn't sure (between this and RockyTalky****

handshot transitional.jpg

closeup transitional.jpg

side view transitional.jpg

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Here are pics of the OEC. I know I already shared these in the Old cuts...please sign in thread, but I thought it would help to have them here for comparison.

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

kefira

Shiny_Rock
How cool that you got to live the dream of tripping over a gorgeous old stone. =) I do have to say though, that I am in love with your OEC for sure. That is one beautiful rock! It's hard to make a call about which to keep (at least, from where I sit), until you have equal quality pictures of the transitional. I think it will come down to which one really pleases your eyes more. I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it's definitely personal preference, but I like the ring. I kept wondering why on earth you'd sell your gorgeous OEC, but now I know. Congratulations on an awesome find!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
kefira and SparklyOEC thanks for the congrats! I thought about it and "envious" sounds harsh. More like, I expected to see a unicorn before being one of those that makes a big find (after so much lack of luck when I lost my original ering). :o

I do agree. I need pics of the facets. Hopefully within the next couple of days. I also want to see its personality. I really don't now much about transitional cuts. From what I understand, they have lower crowns and larger tables smaller culets. I have seen it in every light except sunlight. In indirect light the OEC almost glows and throws rainbows of whatever color is around it, the tranny flashes more white light, but I haven't looked long enough to see if there are colors too.
I also know the origins of the OEC and it belonged to a couple that traveled the world (the charm of the old stone is as attractive to me as well)
If I talk long enough, it sounds like I am biased. I am pretty neutral. The easy and more convenient thing to do is leave an original stone and setting together. I just need to spend some time with it I suppose.

If anyone owns an OEC and Trans. cut, I would love to hear anything I am missing.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
That was fast. Got the ring today! Here is a pic that shows the faceting. The appraisal says OMB but I still think transitional. There is more tint to it and it is reflecting the camera- definitely hard to capture. But very similar. I looked at it thru a loop and it looks like the diamond has been sitting in a box somewhere.
I guess this one is going to be on me. If exactly the same, I would pick the OEC just because of the story behind it....

DSC_0191.JPG

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal choice would be the OEC, it is a gorgeous stone. It is a higher color although I would be fine with the M as I own one myself. I am sure it's going to be a tough choice.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the setting on your new one, but the faceting on the OEC is divine! :love: :love:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I loooooove your OEC, so that is my vote :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does not look like a transitional to me in that last photo. There is a clear open culet, and the faceting looks like a OEC/EC. Maybe a later cut. The lower crown and larger table are not solely indicative of being a transitional as I am sure you know.

I am confused. You wanted to sell your OEC because you could not find a mount you like, it was too deep or stood off the hand too much. Did you buy this new one because you love the mount and it was a good price? I assume you can resell one of both stones for a profit? Am I correct the decision is which stone to set into the mount you like and keep, the other to be sold?

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D, I am glad you posted. I actually didn't know transitionals didn't have an open culet. My knowledge is very limited and I only know what I have been able to read online and on PS in a very limited time.

My stone is lighter in color. But also it is more shallow. I am also unsure that this is an M. The stone is so not photogenic but in real life, I can barely see a tint (face up) when looking for it against the white gold. It faces up extremely white except in pics or under florescent lighting.

It is a confusing story because I have learned my preferences and dislikes as I have gone. I bought the stone and the french cuts with the intention on doing a custom setting. I learned that I am very picky about settings. My old ring had a wider base and a carat center, so I had to readjust what my comfort zone was with a larger stone. When I tried on solitaire settings with a small base, the ring sat like a tea cup on my bony fingers and would move too much North to south. Also, I was really self conscious about knocking it/catching it on something. Not comfortable. At first I thought it was a height issue, then diamond size issue, then realized I just needed the right setting.

My eyes were also bigger than my pocketbook. I bought the diamond and fc's and had no idea how much it would cost for a setting (that I liked). I made the decision to sell the OEC and french cuts to start over. Its been a long journey and I figured it was just easier to shop for a ring with cash in my pocket rather than make what I had fit (and settle for a setting I was not happy with). I had tried this and had not done a very good job. I found a setting that SS quoted a price to recreate for me and was going to buy a center stone for it from JbEG after the sale of my OEC---staying in budget this time.

Then this ring showed up. Love the setting. Although I wanted platinum, I love it and it is incredibly understated and comfortable. The question now is which stone to sell. The OEC at JbEG has a larger culet and thicker girdle and may be lighter in color. The M color is an estimation and I have found that unless its certified (by whatever place one chooses) it is tough to compare. The clarity I have seen with my own eyes and both stones are clear as a bell.

Sorry for repeating myself here. I was hoping there was some technical issue that someone would chime in with that would sway me one way or another. The truth is, I am fortunate to have two beautiful stones that are the same size and I get to choose. I am thinking about having the ring shipped to Erica to have her take a look. I trust her and she can give me a technical comparison----maybe??? We will probably get a cert on it as well.

Anyway, long story. Its a headache. I overthink things

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I got it ;)) And I agree about solitaires with small bases. I am not a fan either and much prefer a ring where the basket is integrated into the shank and is wider to allow a closer fit to the finger. Actually, I personally really like the setting your OEC came in, that is a style I enjoy.

Transitional is a broad term that refers to basically any stone cut later in the period prior to the modern RB. They typically come from the 30-40s. They can have culets, I should not have made that seem like a hard rule. They can have high crowns and low crowns, big tables and small, their pavilions can be like older ECs and they can be like modern RBs. Basically, they show a mix of cut characteristics. I can't tell from your photos what that diamond is, but it does not look like an OMB. It doesn't scream Tranny *to me* but I would need more photos.

Since you already bought it and this is not an issue of its value, then I would just USE YOUR EYES woman! :bigsmile: Which diamond do you prefer the appearance of? No one else's opinion matters in this case. Only yours. So which do *you* like?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I love the OEC. The tranny is a bit messy, and looks a lot more tinted than the OEC.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again. Yes, I do think the important and most difficult task of finding the right setting has been done. I mailed the ring off today to Erica so I can compare side by side video. I also want her to look at it and tell me what she thinks. I appreciate the feedback, but I just couldn't get the concrete feedback I was looking for from the bad pics I was able to take. I used to think "this diamond just won't behave for the camera" meant "I have a really poor quality/performing diamond that you will love in person b/c it is sparkly."
NOT true. I understand the frustration now of a diamond that will not take a good photo. :-o

My friends who have seen both like the 2nd one better. (Sigh) Good shake up- wake up Dreamer_D. Use my eyes! :tongue: :) I will do the best I can and hopefully have a thread in SMTB soon!

Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results