shape
carat
color
clarity

Which CS with yellow gold

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
With the increasing popularity of yellow gold, I am wondering, which color gems do you think look best in yellow gold?

I prefer medium/medium dark saturation, with no brown tones. Blue sapphires, and hot pink sapphires/tourmalines are my favorites. What about you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like warmed coloured stones in yellow gold; anything with an orange or yellow undertone and purple stones. So yellow sapphires, mali garnets, spessartites, amethyst, chysoberyls are all great with yellow gold. Certain shades of blue/violet, red and green stones are also amped up by yellow gold.

Precurious,
Do you mean you like a medium to medium toned stone or something with medium saturation?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1330697195|3139088 said:
With the increasing popularity of yellow gold, I am wondering, which color gems do you think look best in yellow gold?

I prefer medium/medium dark saturation, with no brown tones. Blue sapphires, and hot pink sapphires/tourmalines are my favorites. What about you?

I like almost all stones in yellow gold. It's a very neutral metal and doesn't wash out gems like white gold does. Rose gold isn't my favorite for warm stones, but yellow gold is. Rubies, sapphires, emeralds all look great in yellow gold (especially high karat).

anythingorange

Rough_Rock
Chrono and TL:

I'm curious...both of you stated that you like orange stones in yellow gold, but you both have Spessartites in white gold (platinum?). Can you tell me how/why you decided to go with white gold rather than yellow gold?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went with platinum because the saturation of the orange was so strong that having a white metal did not detract from the saturation. I have a pair of slightly yellowish orange spessarites that I set in yellow gold which plays down any brown tint it might have.

anythingorange

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono! I'm going to start a new thread to ask another related question (don't want to threadjack).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1330701401|3139134 said:
I went with platinum because the saturation of the orange was so strong that having a white metal did not detract from the saturation. I have a pair of slightly yellowish orange spessarites that I set in yellow gold which plays down any brown tint it might have.

I have the same reason I chose white metal for my most saturated spess. I have some yellowish orange spessartites that I set in yellow gold for the same reason as Chrono.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I meant medium/medium dark saturation. I like more saturated stones in yellow gold, with the exception of yellow colored stones, of which I like pale yellow in yellow gold.

I also like vivid stones (like spess, red stones with no brown undertone, blue sapphires, in white gold. For less saturated stones, I tend to like white gold or rose gold.

EDIT: Thanks, Chrono for the correction and TL for the explanation. Yes, I must mean tone. Can you tell I am still a noob after being on here for quit a while?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1330719202|3139405 said:
Chrono, I meant medium/medium dark saturation. I like more saturated stones in yellow gold, with the exception of yellow colored stones, of which I like pale yellow in yellow gold.

Preg,
There is no such thing as medium/medium dark saturation, are you talking about tone instead? Tone is a variable of lightness/darkness in a gem. Saturation is the strength of the hue, which can also be inhibitied by too light or too dark tone.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I wish I liked yellow gold more. I inherited a lot of pieces, and my husband has given me all yellow gold. Sigh.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgetting tone/saturation etc for a minute - nearly all colours look good in yellow gold.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Rubies!! But I'm also fond of yellow diamonds in yellow gold and recently amethysts ( opposites on the color wheel? ). I think those deep purple amethysts not only look good in yellow gold but also rose gold.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don't like yellow gold .... NOTHING looks good in yellow gold. (At least in my case.)

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to strongly dislike yellow gold, especially higher carat. However, since joining PS, I have definitely been warming up to it, and plan to set my orangy-red Mahenge spinel in 18K yellow gold, as per PS recommendations. I held the stone up to 18K yellow gold at my jeweller's, and got positively giddy! I like spessartites better in yellow gold, too, especially those on the yellower side, as Chrono and TL say.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1330747005|3139734 said:
If you don't like yellow gold .... NOTHING looks good in yellow gold. (At least in my case.)

This is kind of what I'm afraid of. I reset my ering diamond in a custom yellow gold setting (to match my wedding band), thinking that I didn't like the original setting because of the style. Unfortunately, I think the reason why I don't like either the new or old settings is the use of yellow gold! Ugh. Hence, I need to find something to do with it...sounds like I need to go to Intergem and try different stones with it in person. No more online guessing for me on this one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results