color
clarity

AJS yellow sapphire question

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I remember correctly it was first called surface diffusion, bulk diffusion, then it was termed lattice diffusion and I think this is the same as Be diffusion. There are subtle differences I think but it boils down to the same thing - diffusion with foreign elements but those foreign elements have changed over time.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1330880664|3140516 said:
If I remember correctly it was first called surface diffusion, bulk diffusion, then it was termed lattice diffusion and I think this is the same as Be diffusion. There are subtle differences I think but it boils down to the same thing - diffusion with foreign elements but those foreign elements have changed over time.

Thanks LD. I was asking because some of their "lattice diffusion" sapphires are still somewhat expensive (more than I would expect a similar BE heated sapphire to be), so I was wondering if this was a different treatment of if the price of BE heated sapphires is going up. I've never purchased from AJS, but from what I've read on here, they are a respected vendor, so it just made me curious.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Boy, if they can get it in there they will diffuse anything!
One reason (though not the only) they are respected is because they disclose upfront without being asked, the treatment status and its extent of their stones. I have bought from ajs and will again. Still I would not buy one of those diffused stones for a tenth of those prices, but really I wouldn't buy a diffused stone at all.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Yes it means that the crystal lattice has been diffused with foreign elements - this isn't always Beryllium, other elements can be used.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it fascinating what these treatments are. As Pandora says, its lattice diffusion of the crystal structure. Just stop and think about that for a minute. It means fundamentally changing the nature of the stone sufficiently to allow foreign matter to "become one" with the stone, kinda like when Jeff Goldblum in his whatever machine accidentally gets crossed with a fly in the movie of the same name. :-o :o :knockout:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is for all intents and purposes, a diffused stone. Diffusion has greatly improved over the years from an outside only colour to one that now permeates evenly throughout the stone. Different minerals are used achieve various colour on different gemstone types. I definitely appreciate AJS being upfront with disclosure of treatment which adds to their respectability. While I probably will never purchase a diffused stone, I have no hesitancy of buying from AJS because of their honesty.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1330913603|3140811 said:
Yes, it is for all intents and purposes, a diffused stone. Diffusion has greatly improved over the years from an outside only colour to one that now permeates evenly throughout the stone. Different minerals are used achieve various colour on different gemstone types. I definitely appreciate AJS being upfront with disclosure of treatment which adds to their respectability. While I probably will never purchase a diffused stone, I have no hesitancy of buying from AJS because of their honesty.

I second that!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all of the educational responses, I suspected as much, but wanted to confirm. I wasn't at all disparaging AJS, in fact, the only reason I even took note of the prices was the fact that they are a respected vendor.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1330913603|3140811 said:

Definitely, I have absolutely no problem with vendors that sell diffused stones, as long as they disclose it. Good for them!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
colorluvr|1330880069|3140512 said:
http://www.ajsgem.com/yellow-sapphire-gemstone-sapphire-2046340416.html

I see several of their yellow sapphires state: "Treatment: Heated/Lattice diffusion

Is this a different treatment from BE heating, or just another way of saying it? I tried to find some info on their site but couldn't.

Thanks!
Several? I see most of them have lattice diffusion on the AJS sight. It would be nice to see a few more w/out. I didn't look through every yellow sapphire, but I looked through quite a few and saw just one with heat only.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I suspect diffusion until proved otherwise with most yellow and orange sapphires with good colour and saturation.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1330958209|3141035 said:
colorluvr|1330880069|3140512 said:
http://www.ajsgem.com/yellow-sapphire-gemstone-sapphire-2046340416.html

I see several of their yellow sapphires state: "Treatment: Heated/Lattice diffusion

Is this a different treatment from BE heating, or just another way of saying it? I tried to find some info on their site but couldn't.

Thanks!
Several? I see most of them have lattice diffusion on the AJS sight. It would be nice to see a few more w/out. I didn't look through every yellow sapphire, but I looked through quite a few and saw just one with heat only.

The majority of oranges, yellows and padparadscha coloured sapphires are diffused I'm afraid. This is because nature when it produces those colours, makes them very pastel like. Diffusing gives them a better saturation and they become more popular.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results