shape
carat
color
clarity

I want to change the side stones. Opinions?

melave

Shiny_Rock
HI all

I bought this ring of DB. I really like it, though it is not my usual style :)

The trillion diamonds are not that flash, though i knew that when i bought it. So i was thinking of changing them out for coloured stones

So......... a few questions

The stones are small, i measured with my verniers, and (including the prongs as i couldn't work out how to measure without them) one is 4.15 x 4.5mm, the other is 3.85x4.40mm roughly, these verniers are not the best :)

Is it possible to get small trillions coloured stones?

Should i ask someone to cut them for me and who do you recommend?

And what type of stones? I don't want sapphires, i was thinking either black spinel or maybe something green?
The centre stone is a strange one. It looks a light brown in some light, then white in others. so i am not sure what would look good

Final question, is it worth it? should i just leave it the way it is?

thanks in advance

IMAG1216.jpg

IMAG1206.jpg

ring.jpg

Hi melave - Haa haa I was just about to suggest sapphires. I know you said you wanted anything other than sapph, BUT I can't help but envision some nice vivid blues (not the deeper variety). Actually, I can see a lot of different stones working well in that ring... rubies would be quite a kick... maybe even pink spinel (or, again, don't hit me - pink sapphire). If you're looking for green, maybe consider tsavorite, chrome diop, or chrome tourm? I don't think emerald would provide the flash you're in search of. Personally, the black wouldn't be my thing, as I would want to liven it up and not necessarily deepen it with an opaque, but that's all a matter of taste. I'm sure there has to be somebody who can help you find, cut, and set the new stones. I'm not sure I can be of any help to you in that department, but I'm hoping another PSer can come through on a recommendation.

It's tough to say whether it will be worth it for you. I've upgraded/overhauled rings in the past and been very pleased with the result. I recently upgraded a paraiba ring and, man, I'm over the moon about it. I purchased the ring several years ago before I really knew what to look for in the stone (and before I could afford a fine one). But I loved the diamonds and wanted to keep the mounting, so I set out in search of a new stone. Personally, I might take a chance here, but everyone is different. I can see what you mean about the lack of "flash" in the side stones, but I do think the ring is gorgeous as-is. Perhaps you might just want to consider upgrading the diamonds? You can't ever go wrong with that. But if you do decide to add color, I think you have a lot of options depending on your budget. Good luck and let us know what you end up choosing! :sun:

~Autumn

melave

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply Autumn

I know sapphires would look lovely, but i don't know, maybe i was just wanting something a bit different. what colour sapphire were you thinking?

the reason i was thinking black spinel was because of this ring, which i am in love with (i will never be able to afford it). I know its enamel, but i figured i could get close to the look with black spinels

http://www.rubylane.com/item/603337-RL1282/Vintage-Deco-2-57ct-Diamond

I definately want to change to a colour stone. I think, for me, it's just a bit too much diamonds, which i didn't think i would ever hear myself say :)

I was thinking rubies as well as i have this one in my wish list. i love the colour, but rubies are hard to find natural aren't they? there are a lot of synthetics about.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390037223876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

budget, well that's a hard one. Definitely under $1000 but i also don't think i paid a lot for the ring, so maybe i shouldn't put too much money into the stones. Could i get some good stones for under say $400?

too many choices i think :)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is lovely and I can see coloured trilliants being a wonderful addition. :love:

I think I'm with AINE in that I wouldn't go for black on this ring, though I love the one you linked to - I think a colour would give you more pleasure in the long run. The first question seems to be "which colour".

Start perhaps refining the stone and colour on a site such as GemSelect http://www.gemselect.com/group/gems...&c_4=on&c_9=on&c_1=on&c_7=on&c_0506=on&s_5=on though be aware that many of their stones are poorly cut with gaping windows unfortunately.

However once you've narrowed things down a bit, then it's a lot easier to approach one of the cutters on the "pinned" list and see if they have something in their inventory that would fit the bill. Or try some judicious eBay searching for pairs.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be honest and say that I'm not convinced having coloured stones on the sides will look right - but could be convinced!

How about black diamonds instead of spinel? Or, because the middle stone has some yellow/brown tints, how about light brown diamonds? Not sure how easy they would be to source though.

Edit: Just had a very quick look - have found citrine, peridot, amethyst, lots of white diamonds but struggling to find anything black or brown (discounting the citrine of course)

melave

Shiny_Rock
Hi

thanks for the replies :)

Starzin thanks for the link. i am actually liking the Tsavs! I think they would look nice with this setting. i did a search on ebay and only a pair of tanzanites came up which i am not in love with.

LD i really respect your opinion, so why do you think coloured stones won't look right? will it be too busy you think? or is it the centre diamond that is causing the issue?

I showed the ring to my OH and he thinks the side stones look like indicators!! :) so i am thinking orange colours may be out of the question :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
melave|1329430487|3127624 said:
I showed the ring to my OH and he thinks the side stones look like indicators!! :) so i am thinking orange colours may be out of the question :)

:lol: God bless our OH's - don't you love their honesty!

If you add coloured sides and have a white(is) centre stone, the eye is automatically drawn to the sides especially if the contrast is great (ie light centre / darkish or vibrant sides). Also the fact there are halos makes me pause. How about getting some red or blue or green card and cut it out in the same size trilliant and place them on top of the sides. That will give you a "feel" of how the ring will look when multicoloured and whether you like it or not.

I see very few rings where the balance of coloured outers and pale inners work. There are some but it's a real art to getting it right.

You may have more luck using paler trilliants but it'll be a challenge finding them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what your budget is, but fancy yellows would be awesome, and you can get irradiated yellow diamonds if you can't afford natural color. They're still earth mined, but irradiated to yellow color, and can be quite pretty and much more affordable than natural fancy yellows. Very pretty ring, you were lucky to get that for a good price!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Prepare for a shock... I would also go the coloured diamond route.

If I was to use coloured stones I would go for something more pastel in colour, the strong shades would pull attention away from the centre too much.

melave

Shiny_Rock
hi all

thanks for the replies

Oh i was hoping something vibrant would look ok as i am not really into the pastels :(

I think trying to find diamonds to fit might be a bit hard as well, i thought at least with coloured stones it would be easier to get cut to size. Maybe i should just scrap the setting and start fresh?

i was hoping with vibrant stones it would sort of look like this
http://www.rubylane.com/item/571649-100-00120/Art-Deco-Diamond-Ring
or this
http://www.rubylane.com/item/307969-R2998/Gorgeous-Diamond-Pink-Sapphire-Engagement

but it sounds like it will end up looking like this then yeh?
http://www.rubylane.com/item/571649-200-00207/Art-Deco-Diamond-Sapphire-Ring
( no offense to anyone who likes this one)

I think i will go get some coloured paper as suggested, and see what it will look like

thanks for your help :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG your link http://www.rubylane.com/item/571649-200-00207/Art-Deco-Diamond-Sapphire-Ring had me seriously chuckling! This looks like some weird sort of bug!

I don't think yours would look as extreme but I also don't think it would look like the others you like and have linked to because the proportions are different. In those, the centre stone is proportionally much larger than in your ring.

Please don't scrap the setting. I like it very much! Try the coloured paper trick and if you like the look then go for it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results