shape
carat
color
clarity

Things to do/see/eat in San Francisco?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I just booked flights to San Fran for 4 days in June for our first anniversary. Any suggestions of things to do/see? Places to eat? Recommendations for good jewelry shops? :bigsmile:

I know someone just recently posted a similar thread but I can not find it for the life of me so please feel free to copy the link here if you know it....

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been a couple of times - we had dinner at the red door and really enjoyed it. I also love to have clam chowder in a bread bowl down by the water (where you can see the sea lions sunbathing too).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Ugh,I had a whole post that got eaten. So the quick version-

Fisherman's Wharf (be sure to get clam chowder in a bread bowl)
Pier 39
Alcatraz (pay extra for the audio tour, it's worth it)
Ghirardelli Square
Chinatown
Ride bikes/walk across the Golden Gate Bridge
Ride a cable car
The ferry building (you can walk from Ghirardelli square all the way down to the ferry building...it would be an all day thing, but you'd be able to check out Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 on the way)

My friends, who have lived in SF for 10 years, just did a segway tour of the city and said it was amazing.

Tons of places to eat. Do you like garlic? Check out The Stinking Rose.

Feel free to ask any more questions. I go to SF all the time!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Grand Cafe' in the theatre district close to Union Square is my favorite.
The Slanted Door at the wharf is amazing. Make reservations!
Breakfast at Sears.. It's awesome. There will be a wait. Also, close to Union Square.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
If you like pizza, Blondie's pizza on Powell St.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here you go Stargurl78 - I am hoping that we can get here at the end of June while we will already be on that side of the continent in Las Vegas! The debate is between going to east coast New Brunswick for a friends wedding, or extending our vacation and exploring the Pacific coast a bit... This will be our 27th anniversary - congratulations on your up coming anniversary and wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness together! :halo:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/june-road-trip-lv-to-san-luis-obispo-monterey-san-fran.171478/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/june-road-trip-lv-to-san-luis-obispo-monterey-san-fran.171478/[/URL]

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Dotties for breakfast!

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I live in San Francisco. I think amc covered all the touristy stuff. Alcatraz is really cool, so is Golden Gate Park with the DeYoung and Academy of Sciences, and the bridge itself. If you are there on Thurs night, go to the Nightlife event at the Academy of Sciences. I also think walking around some of the hoods is fun like the Mission, Hayes Valley, Filmore, Castro, etc... If you go to the mission see Mission Dolores and grab a bottle of wine and some snacks to eat in Dolores Park.

Food...well this is a city you can go crazy with all the choices and amaziness. I have a friend who eats out every single day and still has not covered every place he there is. I have a list of several hundred restaurants only half which I have been to while living here for 6 years. Some restaurants I would recommend for out of towners are:
Brenda's, Dottie's and Mama's for breakfast. All have a long wait so try to get there early or go on a weekday.
Ike's in the castro for an orgasmic sandwich
Foreign Cinema, Zuni Cafe, Limon Rotisserie, and Nopa (ressies book up a month in advance on weekends) for dinner
The best pastries are at Tartine and you could have lunch next door at Pizza Delfina. I totally second whoever said Gialina!
Best ice cream Humphry Slocombe and Bi-rite (try the salted carmel!)
If you like coffee, try blue bottle. It is served at a lot of cafes.

SF is very famous for it's twist on local, organic, grassfed beef, etc...cuisine. Try to go to restaurants that serve that. Also, yelp is your friend. Maybe try searching by most reviewed as well as best to see what are must tries.

If you could get specific on what you two like in terms of type of cuisine, atmosphere, preferences... best beer? best cocktails, seafood, etc...I would be happy to suggest.

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
Van Craynesy is in SF?! Does anyone know if they have a showroom or appointment only?
I absolutely do not need more jewelry at the moment but I love to look! :naughty:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all SO much for your suggestions! I'm definitely going to look into all of these things. And I didn't realize Lang Antiques was in San Francisco :naughty:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
stargurl78|1328880617|3123109 said:
Thank you all SO much for your suggestions! I'm definitely going to look into all of these things. And I didn't realize Lang Antiques was in San Francisco :naughty:

I got to visit Lang's a couple of years ago...my DH was in SF on a business trip for a week and I tagged along. I had no idea though, that our hotel was literally 2 blocks from Lang's!!! I was so excited when I found that out! I spent quite a bit of time drooling over their collection!

Enjoy your anniversary trip!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Don't forget the winding road!!

Also, you might check to see if the art museum has anything cool going on. I got to see Picasso's work while I was there.

Ghiradelli is a must.

Fisherman's wharf.

Unfortunately I don't remember the names of where we ate.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have to do Lang's; these is also a jewelry store that has a vintage section called http://shreve.com/

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
There are so many great suggestions! I live in the Bay Area and will be writing some of these restaurant suggestions down.

Fisherman's Wharf was not my favorite. It was really really commercial/touristy. Almost reminded me of Disneyworld/land- a manufactured atmosphere. Didn't really feel that authentic or like something someone who lives in SF would do/see. Just my 2 cents.

One to add to the list:
Tartine Bakery in Mission. Really really really great bread pudding and other pastries. Their sandwiches are also great.

If you're into cocktail bars- Rickhouse (on Kearney, Financial District) and Comstock Saloon (North Beach) are great. Rickhouse has got to be my favorite place to get a cocktail ever.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1328907965|3123478 said:
you have to do Lang's; these is also a jewelry store that has a vintage section called http://shreve.com/
i go there to drool on their watches.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Clairitek|1328910154|3123505 said:
There are so many great suggestions! I live in the Bay Area and will be writing some of these restaurant suggestions down.

Fisherman's Wharf was not my favorite. It was really really commercial/touristy. Almost reminded me of Disneyworld/land- a manufactured atmosphere. Didn't really feel that authentic or like something someone who lives in SF would do/see. Just my 2 cents.

One to add to the list:
Tartine Bakery in Mission. Really really really great bread pudding and other pastries. Their sandwiches are also great.

If you're into cocktail bars- Rickhouse (on Kearney, Financial District) and Comstock Saloon (North Beach) are great. Rickhouse has got to be my favorite place to get a cocktail ever.

Claritek, I am learning we have a lot in common recently. I read on another thread that you are a mechanical engineer...as am I.

Thanks for the Rickhouse suggestion. I had never heard of it until you mentioned it and yelped it and it looks great! Since you are a cocktail girl and in case you haven't already been to these places, you should check out Rye, Alembic, and Romolo 15. I also sometimes take out of towners to Bourbon Branch because of the unique speakeasy theme and great cucumber gimlets.

I agree with you about Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39. I usually tell guests how to get there and then meet them after for a drink if they want to go. It is really touristy.

greenteabiscuit

Rough_Rock
I went to all-souffle restaurant called Cafe Jacqueline. It was very interesting - everything on their menu is souffle.
I liked Tony's pizza Napoletana in Little Italy.. Especially their Meatball Gigante and their most popular pizza. I think it's called New Yorker. I also had their award winning margherita pizza but it wasn't that tasty. I am into bold, rich flavours.

Segway tour is a must!!!!!!!!!

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock
Tartine for brunch or lunch: http://www.tartinebakery.com/

Boulevard for dinner: http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com/

If you plan to go to Napa:
Redd for dinner: http://www.reddnapavalley.com/description.html
French Laundry for dinner (you must book in advance!): http://frenchlaundry.com/

Wineries:
- Newton: http://www.newtonvineyard.com/age-verification/index.php?url=/
- Duckhorn: http://www.duckhorn.com/
- Shafer: http://www.shafervineyards.com/
- Opus One: http://en.opusonewinery.com/
- to name a few ...

Have a wonderful time!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for all these great suggestions!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
nkarma|1328918928|3123624 said:
Clairitek|1328910154|3123505 said:

One to add to the list:

Claritek, I am learning we have a lot in common recently. I read on another thread that you are a mechanical engineer...as am I.

Thanks for the Rickhouse suggestion. I had never heard of it until you mentioned it and yelped it and it looks great! Since you are a cocktail girl and in case you haven't already been to these places, you should check out Rye, Alembic, and Romolo 15. I also sometimes take out of towners to Bourbon Branch because of the unique speakeasy theme and great cucumber gimlets.

I agree with you about Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39. I usually tell guests how to get there and then meet them after for a drink if they want to go. It is really touristy.

Sorry for the threadjack!

Bourbon and Branch was one of the places I was going to suggest but I couldnt come up with the name! We've been there as well (they're run by the same restaurant group as Rickhouse) and really liked it. I've never experienced their entire cocktail menu though, only been to the library. If you go to Rickhouse I highly suggest going on a Saturday night, arrive at about 630/645 before they open up the back room. Get a drink at the front bar and then lurk near the back area of the front bar. When they open the back room, get a seat at the back bar and watch them make cocktails. The guy who normally works back where is named Dan and he's great. Then ask for their FULL menu, its in a binder and about 12 pages long!

Thanks for the other suggestions! We've been meaning to try Alembic for a while! I went to Comstock Saloon on Friday for the first time. LIked it but I prefer Rickhouse (and its closer to BART).

If you ever want to get in touch I have a few listings up on DB right now! :wink2:

/end threadjack

I saw someone suggested a Segway Tour and I honestly think I want to try that before I move away from the area! It does look really fun.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was the one who just posted a similar thread. Search under my topics :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results