shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advise on vacationing in Italy!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think there might have been a thread about vactioning in Italy several months (if not years ago), but I can't seem to find it. So any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been to Italy but it was about 10 years ago and I was only in Rome. This time DH and I are going in May for 9 days (can't leave the kids any longer then that) and plan on hitting all the major cities. Would love advise from any PSers are places to stay, eat, travel too etc.

I should also mention that we are going with 2 other couples- not sure if that matters with your recommendations.

TIA!

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock
The Amalfi coast is fabulous. There is a hotel there called The San Pietro that is set into the side of a cliff overlooking the sea. I would strongly suggest Venice as well.I love Italy and have been there about 7 times as my husband is Italian. Let me have some time to consult with him and I will post some more recommendations tomorrow !

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I have been to Rome, Venice and Sicily (as well as Pompeii/Amalfi Coast).

Personally, I love Rome and Venice since you can walk everywhere and wear yourself out all day, and then enjoy a slow, leisurely dinner and just relax and take romantic strolls at night. DH and I were in Rome this past summer and we stayed at the Albergo Cesari. Wonderfully located and reasonably priced. I can't recall where I stayed in Venice as it was quite a few years ago. I do remember that Venice essentially shuts down for the night after everyone has taken their gondola ride and enjoyed a late meal. :twirl:

Also spent a day in Sicily, which was great. The food there is amazing. Would definitely recommend at least a day trip to Pompeii. So well preserved and unlike anything you'll ever see.

My sister spent this past summer studying abroad in Rome, but she spent a weekend in Florence and said it was, by far, her favorite part of the summer. I look forward to what JanetJoan's husband has to say! I'd love to get the advice of a local for our next trip there.

Ahhh, gelato. Is there anything better?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
We did the typical Rome, Florence and Venice route with a day trip to Pompeii (really wanted to go to Sicily, but the ferry schedule didn't work out). I really loved all of the cities and they were all very "walkable", which was fantastic. We spent the most time in Rome, which I would advise because there is just so much to see and it's more spread out.

I think Florence was actually my favorite city--we took a walking tour and then took the Rick Steves walking tour later in the evening after dinner. We stayed at a really cute boutique hotel in Florence--I need to get the name of it. My husband planned this trip as a surprise, so I have none of the hotel info.

Venice was gorgeous as well. I do wish we had more time to drive along the Amalfi Coast, that would have been really nice.

No matter where you go, you will have an amazing time!! And 9 days is a good amount of time to go so you can see a few cities!

Tali

Rough_Rock
check on accessibility of the Amalfi coast. There were big mud slide that washed out several roads this winter. Love the area, if you can get to it.
Siena and Florence are favorites for me. I'd personally rather spend more time in a couple of places than trying to hit several in a short time.

Parzifal

Rough_Rock
I have been in Italy in 2010, and I most liked Capri and Anacapri. Anacapri - the upper part of Capri island - I think, is the place, which is must be visited in Capri. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results