shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendants, sliding or fixed?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I am making this pendant for my sister for Xmas. The setting will be tighter and the front edge will roll over (inward) which will also constitute the bezel. Should I attach a bale to the top so it can slide on the chain or should the chain be attached directly like those Tiffany sparklers?

ampend.jpg

ampend1.jpg

ampend2.jpg

ampend3.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I'm usually all for a fixed pendant, but on this one, I'm gonna say slider!

OMG it's gonna be fab VL!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I vote for fixed, to keep the line as clean as possible. That's from someone who usually likes the versatility of separate pendants.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Difficult choice. I like to mix and match my chains so like the idea of a bail that clips on/off OR you can thread a chain through. So my preference would be a slider.

Pros of a slider are that it moves on the neck and so doesn't end up to one side as it usually rotates back down to the middle.

Pros of a fixed pendant are that it very rarely tips or twirls if the bale is placed correctly.

Cons of a slider are that it does move (some people don't like that).

Cons of a fixed pendant is that it's less versatile.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
slider. can you put the bale down beind the stone a bit so it "floats" or would it turn on the chain too much?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1324602336|3087158 said:
slider. can you put the bale down beind the stone a bit so it "floats" or would it turn on the chain too much?

If you can put the bale behind, that would be the best of both worlds for me. Clean, but versatile.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I prefer sliders since it will generally stay centered, whereas fixed pendants generally end up travelling up my neck. And, I like to mix and match chains as well, depending on the length I need for the sweater/blouse/shirt neckline of the day.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
The clean lines you are showcasing look like a slider in my opinion. Does the recipient have a preference? It will be gorgeous no matter what!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Cool pendant, VL! I don't have any suggestions regarding bale or fixed, but was wondering about the back of the pendant. It looks very rounded, which would make the pendant tip, but I know the design is still in progress. Please post pics when you're finished - would love to see it!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Well Ive been frantic working on this all day, trying to get the setting to fit the stone perfectly. I keep trying to imagine how the pendent will hang from any bale and still face forward. In all my mental experiments it either flops stone downward or at lest to the side. So I am now thinking that it really wants to be a ring. Let me know what you think.

ampendbez1.jpg

ampendbez2.jpg

ampendbez3.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

ampendring1.jpg

ampendring2.jpg

ampendring5.jpg

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks good as a ring, do you have the correct finger size?

It's a little different but how about putting the bail on the pointy end of the bezel so that it hangs like a bell, you still will get a nice glimpse of the cab from the side. It could be like a Xmas bell.

You could also make a piece of gently curved tube for the bail, if you solder it fixed to the bezel you wouldn't have any problems with the pendant falling forward or flopping side to side.

It's looking good, I like the hand hammered look!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote is still with the pendant and I like idea of the bell approach - very unique, goes well with the hammered finish and perfect for christmas. The "peekaboo" cabochon is a very cool concept! :bigsmile:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How did this project go? I love the ring and I think it would showcase the deep cab a lot more than a pendant.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For ease of construction and balance of the pendant, it'll be great as a fixed pendant. That said, I prefer a slider because the fixed style pendant always ends up halfway up my neck and I'm constantly having to adjust the chain to allow the pendant to sit in its proper location. Sure, it'll be just as nice as a ring but how high does it sit?

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
What did you end up doing with this? I would be interested to see a picture of the finished piece. =)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because of your pointed bottom (!) the pendant will tip and flip. The way around it is to position 2 bales (hidden and just behind the top of the gem at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock that a chain can slide through and over the top. It will still tip forward because of the pointed bum but if you could level the back off, the tipping forward will be minimised. Alternatively, put a flat plate on the back (which might look like a design element anyway and put the bales on that in the same way as described already.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results