shape
carat
color
clarity

DCD and comparing diamonds over the phone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rleejones

Rough_Rock

Hello Everyone, thank you so much for all of the help. Today I spoke with DCD on the phone and I found them to be wonderful over the phone. Seeing how this is my first purchase though, I wanted a second opinion on how the conversation went.

The diamond I purchased is below. What do you think? DCD swore up and down that you could not see the inclusions from three inches away and from all angles. They also compared it to three other diamonds that had peaked my interest while I was on the phone. Three of four people liked it more than a comparable VS2. We will see. I''m a bit concerned about the girdle and inclusions that can be seen with the naked eye, but I figured it was worth shipping in and taking a look at.

Here is the link to the one I purchased and the link to the main one they compared it with. Any comments? Jim on the phone asked three other people in the office and they voted on the SI2 over the VS2. Interesting Huh?

My purchase
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=7093576
Comparable Diamond
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=7311717

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
I think DCD is a very honest company. If they say it's the better stone, I'm sure it is -- especially since the other stone costs more. I bet its eyeclean if they say it is.

My one concern would be an SI2 princess with a very thin girdle. If you are serious about the stone once you get it, take it to an independant appraiser and ask about the risk of chipping. Princess cuts are known to chip... so this would be my primary concern with this stone.

DCD is great because if it turns out not to be right for you, they cover return shipping... So you really can't go wrong by giving it a try. I hope it works out for you!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations on your purchase!! i know you''ve looked at alot of diamonds, i hope you finally found what you wanted!! make sure to let us know! (and post pics!!)

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
Well, you got a larger stone for less! AWESOME!!!! I think it looks lovely!!! Great choice!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
hi -i can see why they recommended the si2--its got much less depth and a great table for a princess resulting in bigger , and more appropriate, dimensions. Inclusions are only "bad" if they are distracting or otherwise problematic-------other than that they keep the price down and id rather have a lower clarity , better cut any day. In addition, brilliant cut stones can handle lower clarity much better as the scintillation and faceting can camouflage the inclusions--unlike step cut stones.

The stone you are getting sounds like a terrifc choice

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know. I see you already ordered it.

But, I am a little skeptical that this can be eye clean. If it is eye clean, it would be because of it''s location... However those inclusions are easily visible in the photograph. That cloud and crystal in the center looks like it could potentially be visible to the eye...

Let us know how it turns out.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My look at the stone seems like it could be eye-clean. We all notice different things, but sometimes people mistakenly see shadows or facets as if they are inclusions. The only real answer is to carefully examine the diamond under reasonably normal lighting and see what YOU see in it.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
As David said--dont get too hung up on a picture magnified a zillion times.................when you see it place it in the groove between your ring finger and hold it away from you and then up close. DId you get a little fake stone holder that you can use to "try" the stone on with?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased from Jim at DCD before, and he was honest when he could see inclusions in stones. I ended up with 2 SI2s (rounds) from him, and they are beautiful. It will depend on your eyes and what you see, but I think it is definitely worth a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results