shape
carat
color
clarity

POLL: Please vote on settings for red spinel

Please choose your favorite setting, or suggest one below.

• 1. 5 stone with vertically oriented baguettes.

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • 2. 3 stone with horizontal baguettes.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • 3. 3 stone with half moons.

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • 4. Faux 3 stone with multiple mounted baguettes.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 5. Something else suggested.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am struggling to choose a setting for a 2 ct red spinel that is between a stop light red and a rose red (red with a very slight purple). My ring size is 4.25, and the spinel's dimensions are 8.4 x 6.4 mm. I've posted 2 pictures below from the vendor, one which I darkened to better represent the true color.

After much thought, I love the red color, and enjoy looking at the pavilion because it has a good crystal (flawless with a loupe), but it is a tiny bit on the dark side for me, so I am trying to avoid anything that darkens the stone. Any way I can help the color be a little more true red? I would like to wear this with a milgrained eternity band with round brilliant diamonds. I love Art Deco. Please vote on your favorite setting with any comments. I am open to any suggestions! Thank you for helping a very nervous PSer! :wavey:

2.02spinel_CF002161_dark.jpg

2.02ct Red Spinel.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Re: Please vote on settings for red spinel

Here are the 4 settings. The last three have rubies in them, and my spinel's color in between the 1st and 2nd ruby. The 3rd cabochon is much more purple than mine:

rotham_1_2carats_1165_detail.jpg

weston_1_33carats-wm6780i.jpg

purseblog_ruby_halfmoons.jpg

elogedurouge_sothebys_45424256.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I vote the first one. It's gorgeous!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
#4 followd by #3.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted the half moons.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a half-moon voter too. Classic with a vintage wink, and minimal metal getting in the way of the gorgeous colour. Can't wait to see what you decide! :twirl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Half moons. The whole shape of the 3 stones together is very nice & they compliment the oval beautifully.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I voted #1 with the vertical baguettes. I love that deco look, and almost mounted my mahenge that way!! Unique and classy.

My second choice would be the half moons. Beautiful, formal, and you can't go wrong this way.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I picked the half moons. I just love the look of an oval with half moons.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Athenaworth, movie zombie, crasu, natsplat, JewelFreak, uppy, Kismet, thank you for your votes and comments. It looks like the half moons are winning.

Is it possible to find step cut half moons? What about french cut rectangles instead of the baguettes for number 1?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I like 1 and 4!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like #1 if the baguettes were prong set, and not bezeled, and I love #4. Both have Art Deco appeal to me.

#2 and #3, while pretty, are more common.

Check out Leon's site for more ideas.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1320760806|3056785 said:
Athenaworth, movie zombie, crasu, natsplat, JewelFreak, uppy, Kismet, thank you for your votes and comments. It looks like the half moons are winning.

Is it possible to find step cut half moons? What about french cut rectangles instead of the baguettes for number 1?
Step cut half moons are called Cadillac Cut. Search and you can find them. Tres chic!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here's the mock up of my mahenge with the graduated baguettes. Mount by Leon.

mahenge bags.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I voted half moons! I think that setting is stunning! However, I would go with double claw prongs.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for the first setting!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL, Uppy, Loveinbloom, Sarahbear (love your bracelet) and Zoe for your votes and feedback. TL, I like the uniqueness of the 2 settings also. I'm wondering if if baguettes will be sparkly enough.

Uppy, your mock up looks delicious. That hot pink looks good enough to eat. Did you get your swirly ring?

Loveinbloom, I like the crescents also. I didn't realize there could be such a different in half moons. I'm always learning on PS.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both the modified Art Deco inspired double baguette setting with prongs and also the half moons. The complement the oval shape very well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results