shape
carat
color
clarity

Doug is finished cutting my black spinel!!

btrsweet5747

Rough_Rock
I am so excited- he found a piece of rough that was an odd shape and ended up getting a BEAUTIFUL 11.7mm square cushion out of it. As he described it (and it's so true)-- it's STUNNING! As soon as I get to work, I will post pics for everyone. Thanks again to all of you- my first experience with this couldn't have been better. Now I just can't wait to get it in my hands! :bigsmile:

btrsweet5747

Rough_Rock
OK- here you go! Isn't it beautiful??? Sorry for the large pics- I haven't resized them yet... :)

Frontal view.jpg

Girdle view.jpg

Left Facing view.jpg

Right Facing view.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
sweet! i can't wait to see the finished ring!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The cut is just mouthwatering! Yike, it's beautiful. Can't wait to see it set.

T

talamasca

Oooo it's lovely :love:

Really looking forward to RL pics and the finished ring :D

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Oo, how gorgeous! The stone looks so velvety. Looking forward to seeing your progress :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He did a great polishing job on that stone, looks exactly like a black diamond with the high polish and the luster. Beautiful shape too!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL|1319729777|3048739 said:
He did a great polishing job on that stone, looks exactly like a black diamond with the high polish and the luster. Beautiful shape too!

agreed.

black spinel is vastly underrated, imo. it does not have the look of other spinel and must be appreciated for its own qualities.....it does not "sparkle" like a diamond, for instance, but does have the "velvet" look of a sapphire.

yes, please, real life pictures when you receive the stone!

btrsweet5747

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone! He is simply amazing- it is way better than I could have imagined. It does have a great shine to it, and I can't wait until I get it! :D

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, big and beautiful! Congrats!!!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty and so unusual looking at the same time! Can't wait to see it in the ring! Yum.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very chic!

cheers--Sharon

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Great luster! That's why I love spinels.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, how are you planning on setting it?

btrsweet5747

Rough_Rock
Well, Doug sent me some more pics, so I thought I would share. He sent it off a couple of days ago, but this should get me through until I get it... :naughty:

And I will also include a shot of a setting I like. I want it to be pave- sort of like the Vera Wang, but without the diamonds on the prongs. I like the Whiteflash one as well. I want to keep it as thin as 2mm or so, but I've heard that those are hard to keep the diamonds from falling out of. And then I would love to have two tiny pave bands with more black spinel shanking the e-ring on both sides. What do you think? Too much?

Hand shot5.jpg

Hand shot4.jpg

Hand shot2.jpg

Hand shot1.jpg

btrsweet5747

Rough_Rock
And here's a couple of settings I like...the first is from Amorediamonds and the second is the Whiteflash pave.

Amorediamonds pave cushion.jpg

micropave cushion setting side.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Now that is a snazzy stone. Very cool! Two thumbs up..

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, the luster on that stone is so neat! I think surrounded by pave it'll look amazing (and looks amazing on it's own, too!)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
an australian spinel but by an austrailian: how could you go wrong? liking what i see in those recent photos doug sent. nice size!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, should look great in pave!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to show you a link to the "Black Orlov" black diamond in its mount. Your stone reminds me a great deal of it. The quality of precision faceting and polish is even more important on opaque stones because you can see every facet meet better, and the luster is more important. He did a great job.
http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/blackorlovdiamond.html

kt

Shiny_Rock
Holy cow that is going to be one heck of a cool looking ring between the contrast of the black and white/diamonds!!! I've never seen a spinel like that so thanks for sharing!!

btrsweet5747

Rough_Rock
Wow- that Black Orlov diamond is serious!! I just hope that my stone does look even somewhat close to that. :bigsmile:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Wow :love: What a beautiful and unusual stone! I can't wait to see photos of it set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results