shape
carat
color
clarity

cavity on princess girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovesquares

Rough_Rock
hello All,

What do you think about a princess cut stone w/ what appear as two small "cavities" on a "medium" girdle (not located where it would be covered by a V-prong). H/SI1 and reportedly eye-clean. Any thoughts?

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Eek. I''m no expert, but I''d avoid cavities on any girdle which apart from the corners on a princess is the most susceptible part of the diamond to damage. I''d be worried that I''d accidentally smack one of those cavities just the wrong way and suddenly be missing a chunk of diamond.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I know I''m not an expert but having cavaties in a diamond doesn''t seem like something a person would want. I don''t know if that will weaken the stone but I would still be afraid to smack the diamond the wrong way and damage it.
23.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"cavity" sounds bad... but you mention there are two.. and perhaps these are not the only inclusionsin the SI, so we are speaking of something so small that not only is impossible to see, but you may not even pick up by touch (you now, tip of fingernail over girdle).

On medium girdle these most likely not have any durability implications whatsoever.

Seeing the plot and, sure, the diamond would clarify these, but until better info than the verbal description is available, I would rather think these are two inclusions that no one will ever see. Not bad news at all.

There was a good example around here of this type of inclusion. Let me see if I can track it down.
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The face of the beast.... cavity on girdle !
2.gif

The pic comes from Good Old Gold and does not have a scale published, but the huge wall under the inclusion is actually one upper girdle facet.

CGJSI2.jpg

lovesquares

Rough_Rock
I''ll see if I can get the GIA certificate on here. Its an online vendor, so I can''t go to see the stone. The GIA certificate lists the "cavity" last. I think the order was feather, crystal, cavity.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I might consider buying it if these were not visible to the naked eye and the price was right.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2004 332 PM
Author: lovesquares
I think the order was feather, crystal, cavity.
Post the link... or PM it. The order of those words does not mean anything.

lovesquares

Rough_Rock
I can''t get the GIA certificate to upload here, but I don''t think even if I was able that you could see the cavity on your computuer screens.

I had someone look at the actual cert. Apparently the cavity is NOT on the girdle, it''s actually a smaller than SI1-size cavity on the pavillion side in the corner. (I can''t see it even when I enlarge the cert on-line.)
Is that a concern during setting, even if the cavity sounds small?

The stone is H/SI1, medium girdle, 3+ carats.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2004 6:37:58 PM
Author: lovesquares

Is that a concern during setting, even if the cavity sounds small?
Not likely. Almost certainly not, I would say. You can always show the stone to a jeweler during the return period. Even beter - if the seller will set the stone, no more concerns on this side - it is his responsability to keep the stone in one piece. Otherwise, I bet they will tell you
2.gif
before paying for the damage!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results