shape
carat
color
clarity

Oooh Registering!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Whew!

I had no idea how exhausted I would be after registering! We only went to two places, but we spent nearly three hours at Neiman Marcus just narrowing down crystal and china. It is so fun and I think we picked out some great things. We did go back the next day and delete a few things (like a Waterford covered butter dish?!) because it's hard not to be greedy.

Where are you all registering? I thought this thread might be a good place to share the deals that different stores give when you register. At Pottery Barn they give 10% off anything on your registry starting the day after your wedding. We are going to register for a couch the night before the wedding so that we can get the discount later, without apppearing as though we're asking for our guests to buy us one!

Neiman's had impeccable customer service, as you would expect. Waterford cost the same there as it did at Dillards or Macys, but the people and service are far better. The guy who helped us was extremely helpful and knowledgable. I'm so pleased with the china pattern we picked, and he helped us see how versatile it could be.

I'm trying to decide between Dillards and Macys-- I know Dillards offers the same policy as PB, but I don't know much about Macy's yet.

What about you guys?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought- I'm not sure where you and all of your guests live, but Dillard's isn't everywhere. Macy's is much better known and there's more likely to be one where any of your guests may live.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1311005896|2971447 said:
Just a thought- I'm not sure where you and all of your guests live, but Dillard's isn't everywhere. Macy's is much better known and there's more likely to be one where any of your guests may live.

Funny! Around here it's harder to find a Macy's than a Dillard's!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1311006407|2971455 said:

You must be on the east coast?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1311007817|2971471 said:

Nope, Texas and Oklahoma. Macy's are definitely not impossible to find, but there seems to be a Dillards every 30 miles.

Where are you registering?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1311008051|2971472 said:
amc80|1311007817|2971471 said:

Nope, Texas and Oklahoma. Macy's are definitely not impossible to find, but there seems to be a Dillards every 30 miles.

Where are you registering?

Hmm, interesting. We aren't registering. But if we were it would probably be at Macy's and Williams Sonoma.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
We registered at BB&B and on Amazon.com. I HIGHLY recommend the latter. Especially if you have lots of out of town guests, or you're not getting married near where you live. Guests have to ship the gifts this way, and what better place to ship them than *straight to your door*?!?! :bigsmile: It prevented us from having to bring a bunch of gifts home half way across the country on an airplane, or from having to ship them back or return and re-buy when we got home. And obviously the variety can't be beat!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1311009625|2971508 said:
We registered at BB&B and on Amazon.com. I HIGHLY recommend the latter. Especially if you have lots of out of town guests, or you're not getting married near where you live. Guests have to ship the gifts this way, and what better place to ship them than *straight to your door*?!?! :bigsmile: It prevented us from having to bring a bunch of gifts home half way across the country on an airplane, or from having to ship them back or return and re-buy when we got home. And obviously the variety can't be beat!

I have a friend who registered on amazon and I thought it was such a great idea. Plus the prices are usually better than what you can find in store. The shipping thing is a great point. That's one reason we aren't registering...not only will everyone be traveling, but we will have zero time after the wedding to deal with gifts, since we are all immediately going to the cruise ports.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I would have registered on Amazon as well if we hadn't been planning to move post-wedding with no set new address yet. We ended up registering at a local home furnishings place that stored the stuff for us until we had an apartment and were ready to have the things delivered.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Department stores will deliver to you as well. It's usually on option when checking out, right? They can either ship it to you, your parents, wheverever you choose-- or they can opt to have it shipped to themselves.

My sister had loads of gifts sent directly from PB and BB&B to my parent's house.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
OUpeargirl|1311023077|2971667 said:
Department stores will deliver to you as well. It's usually on option when checking out, right? They can either ship it to you, your parents, wheverever you choose-- or they can opt to have it shipped to themselves.

My sister had loads of gifts sent directly from PB and BB&B to my parent's house.
Yes, but no free shipping under $99!

I registered at Macy's and Amazon - dishware and crystal from the former, pots and pans (plus assorted odds and ends) from the latter. It was pretty evenly split where people bought from. We didn't do fine china (I already have a set).

If you have a Macy's card, you get 5% back from everything purchased for you and 10% back from anything you purchased, plus 10% off to fill out your registry after the wedding. I loved getting that gift card in the mail! I also have found Macy's has the best sales, so that was a definite bonus as well.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We registered at Macy's and Crate & Barrel. We didn't have any problems with either one. I could easily move into C&B, so it was hard not to put everything I saw on our registry, but I managed a little self-control. :bigsmile: Even though the closest C&B is about 45-60 minutes from us (and a lot of our guests), online ordering (and updating our registry) was easy-peasy.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We did Williams Sonoma and Amazon.com. We ended up going with WS because that's the only place we could find the flatware we wanted and we were really happy with their customer service. They offered 10% off after the wedding as well. Amazon was a little limited on the customer service and you didn't get the discount, but they had such a wide range of stuff that it worked out great.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I only registered at Bed Beth & Beyond, as they have everything there that I need and have good customer service. I registered 58 items. Highest price was something for 200.00$. The registry is only for my bridal shower, I am not registering for my wedding.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I HATE Macy's. They change the prices on things so quickly. And they don't always offer the registry items the same discounts unless your guests ask and all kinds of other little things. We registered there but after a few huge errors we just didn't give out the registry and registered at Bed Bath and Beyond (same items as Macy's same price better website) and Crate and Barrel.

I would do Neiman's over BBB (their service has gotten worse since Linen's and Things closed and their shipping prices are now outrageous!).

But I loved Crate and Barrel. They were great and we love their furniture. Everyone got us small appliances and gift cards. We returned a bunch of stuff and out it together with the gift cards and bought furniture instead of a lot of little things so it worked out.

Don't register for knives. No one buys them for you.

I do wish I'd registered at Williams Sonoma. I discovered their furniture after the wedding, but it is TO DIE FOR. Seriously. Check out their furniture.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1311045801|2971926 said:

My mom told me the same exact thing!

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
I really love hearing everyone's input. I haven't the slightest clue where to register, so this is great... :appl:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
FI and I already live together and will have lived together just the two of us in our own (rented) house for 1 1/2 years by the wedding. I feel like we have all our needs and don't have the space or desire for any wants.

But we do love traveling and doing fun things together but just aren't going to have the money in the foreseeable future to do much travel because we'll be saving for a house - were keeping the wedding low budget and my parents are helping so we can buy a house ASAP.

So, I'm wanting to make a really good Honeymoon registry for fun things people can pay for us to do on our honeymoon; theme park tickets, a meal in a nice restaurant, cocktails at a swim up bar, kayaking etc which people can buy online with photos and links to the activities and so on. I then want to make sure we have a photo taken of us doing each of these things and then when we get back turn the photos into postcards or thank you cards and send them to the relevant people telling them about the activity and thanking them for giving us a great time on our honeymoon. Of course people can still buy traditional or no gifts at all if they prefer.

To me this dosen't feel tacky because I'm not asking for money and wouldn't, but do you guys think this is OK? As a guest would you be on board with this or would it rub you the wrong way?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1311047360|2971943 said:
We got an awesome knife set!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1311063246|2972030 said:
FI and I already live together and will have lived together just the two of us in our own (rented) house for 1 1/2 years by the wedding. I feel like we have all our needs and don't have the space or desire for any wants.

But we do love traveling and doing fun things together but just aren't going to have the money in the foreseeable future to do much travel because we'll be saving for a house - were keeping the wedding low budget and my parents are helping so we can buy a house ASAP.

So, I'm wanting to make a really good Honeymoon registry for fun things people can pay for us to do on our honeymoon; theme park tickets, a meal in a nice restaurant, cocktails at a swim up bar, kayaking etc which people can buy online with photos and links to the activities and so on. I then want to make sure we have a photo taken of us doing each of these things and then when we get back turn the photos into postcards or thank you cards and send them to the relevant people telling them about the activity and thanking them for giving us a great time on our honeymoon. Of course people can still buy traditional or no gifts at all if they prefer.

To me this dosen't feel tacky because I'm not asking for money and wouldn't, but do you guys think this is OK? As a guest would you be on board with this or would it rub you the wrong way?

FutureGirl, I LOVE honeymoon registries! Friends of ours did one b/c they got PADI certified (SCUBA) on their honeymoon and we contirbuted funds to that in lieu of a physical gift. IMO, once in a lifetime experiences and memories are way better gifts than blenders and towels! Not tacky at all...ESPECIALLY if you go to all the extra lengths that you are...taking the time to list individual activities, and making plans to thank people for those particular activities. The only time I have issues with HM registries is when people just basically say "give us $25, $50, or $100 to put toward our honeymoon." At least put in SOME effort...at that point it just feels like I'm buying them a gift card...and I HATE resorting to buying people gift cards!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1311075968|2972099 said:
4ever|1311063246|2972030 said:

FutureGirl, I LOVE honeymoon registries! Friends of ours did one b/c they got PADI certified (SCUBA) on their honeymoon and we contirbuted funds to that in lieu of a physical gift. IMO, once in a lifetime experiences and memories are way better gifts than blenders and towels! Not tacky at all...ESPECIALLY if you go to all the extra lengths that you are...taking the time to list individual activities, and making plans to thank people for those particular activities. The only time I have issues with HM registries is when people just basically say "give us $25, $50, or $100 to put toward our honeymoon." At least put in SOME effort...at that point it just feels like I'm buying them a gift card...and I HATE resorting to buying people gift cards!

I have to say, I love honeymoon registries, too! Two of my friends are like you and your FI, 4ever - they've been living together for years, and had everything they wanted. They're not the type to have crystal or fine china, but one of the things they were looking forward to the most was actually traveling together and taking a honeymoon. I loved being able to contribute to that.

I think you're going to get people that think it's weird, and people that are very enthusiastic about it. At the end of the day, though, I would hope people would rather get you a gift you'd like instead of something they deem "appropriate" or "traditional" (and I'd be thrilled to get a picture of you doing whatever activity I got you, assuming it wasn't a couple's massage ;-) )

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
asymons412|1311049609|2971957 said:
I really love hearing everyone's input. I haven't the slightest clue where to register, so this is great... :appl:

Yeah! Every store has different policies. Macy's does free shipping if you spend $99. Dillard's and Neiman's offer free shipping no matter what. Macy's offers that 5% incentive, Pottery Barn and Dillard's give you 10% off after the wedding to complete your registry.

I love Crate and Barrel, but their current colors are a little too modern for what I want. And I'm still debating if BB&B is a good place to go.. Part of me loves how practical it would be, but I want more towel color options, cute napkin rings, etc.

Ultimately, I think it's best to shop around and see who carries the things you like. I really wanted a few Juliska pieces, and I also am obsessed with my Anna Weatherly china, so Neiman's was the only national department store where I could find both.

Choices, choices, choices! It makes my head hurt!

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I just signed up for a site that allows me to pick items from all over the place. We have a lot of stuff we'll use for a while, so we don't need new things. We just need some of the basics and random stuff like a drill. Since we want more like 1 item from places like that, I decided to go that route. I hope it doesn't make people mad.

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
mscushion|1311069421|2972049 said:
Autumnovember|1311047360|2971943 said:
We got an awesome knife set!

We got a great knife set too! But then one of my friends told me she was going to buy it, but then she saw somewhere that giving knives for a present is bad luck or something; like it'll "sever the union". Eh, I don't believe in that stuff.

We only registered at BB&B for the engagement party, but I'm going to look into somewhere else for the shower. Physical gifts at the wedding aren't the norm around here, it's almost always cash.

My FI's boss did a registry at BB&B and Macy's, but she put some of the same items on each. So then she had to monitor it and if someone bought her like a place at BB&B, she had to go and remove it from Macy's, so it was a pain.

Good thing about BB&B is you get the "20% an item" coupons in the mail all the time and they take expired ones. We just bought our dinnerware (before they discontinued it on us!) and the coupon specifically said not for use on Nautica, but they let us use it anyways.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
CourtLynB|1311108221|2972471 said:
We only registered at BB&B for the engagement party, but I'm going to look into somewhere else for the shower. Physical gifts at the wedding aren't the norm around here, it's almost always cash.

Good to know about BB&B! But, question, is it typical to register for an engagement party as well as the shower and the wedding? Our engagement party is in December, and to be honest, I didn't even realize that people give engagement gifts until we received a few cards in the mail!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I think registering at amazon is a great idea. We had a ton of gifts brought directly to our wedding and I wish people would have sent them to our house. Purchasing from amazon can eliminate that. I'd also consider BBB...they have a pretty generous return policy

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
asymons412 said:
CourtLynB|1311108221|2972471 said:

Good to know about BB&B! But, question, is it typical to register for an engagement party as well as the shower and the wedding? Our engagement party is in December, and to be honest, I didn't even realize that people give engagement gifts until we received a few cards in the mail!

Well, I think it depends on the area. Since my FI and I have been together, we've attended 3 other engagement parties and at each one they had registered. Gifts are pretty much expected and we always bought off the registry (usuaslly nice wine glasses). We didn't put the registry cards in with the invitations, but when people asked we'd tell them where we were registered. Plus we're also in the process of buying a house, so people have actually been buying us stuff off the registry for other events, like birthdays.

If it means anything, I'm on Long Island, NY and weddings can get pretty crazy and over the top out here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results