shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone want to play, "Guess That Stone!"??

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now that CS's have become a full-blown obsession in a matter of only 2 short weeks, it got me digging around in the stuff I already had. I've had this ring for a while. It was my grandma's alternative to a class ring so I place it around the late 40's. I was told that it was a certain type of stone that I won't disclose because I'm sure I'll get made fun of, but now that I've started dealing with CS, I don't really have a clue what it is.

Anywho, it's almost always purple, but there are times when it's blue green (I've tried getting photos of that) and it has some red fire to it. It doesn't change color dramatically like I've seen here sometimes, but there are some color shifts. It has a chip on it, but my grandma was a scrapper and I'm pretty sure she wore it in more than one fight, so I don't know if the chip can attest to its hardness.

Anywho, take a stab. Hell, it may be synthetic. I've just always been slightly curious, but now the monster is in full effect, so I'm really curious. I know that you can't tell me definitively, but it would be fun to get some ideas.

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6572.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks a lot like synthetic color change corundum.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It does!!!! I bet you're right!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1300849057|2877869 said:
It looks a lot like synthetic color change corundum.

Ditto:
1. The distinct and complete blue to purple change
2. The cost
3. The extreme clarity and size
4. The time frame fits, plus these are typically used in class rings.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Most likely you all are correct, specifically, Vanadium doped synthetic corundum. She was a scrapper to chip that! Best regards, Lee

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Syn Sapphire. I love you're scrappy granny and her brass knuckle ring!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would you guys reset it? In a way I don't want to for sentimental reasons, but I never wear it the way it is.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
IMO, nope. I'm a not a big fan of synthetic actually (but I'm guilty though of buying a lab. blue sapph once! haha :bigsmile: ) I really like the setting. I'd put something natural in it like an antique cushion cut JXR amethyst.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A twin sister of my synthetic color change sapphires.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand the sentimentality; I’m that way where if it has a strong emotional connection, I’m sappy enough to leave it as it is, setting, stone and all, even if I never wear it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results