shape
carat
color
clarity

First Step of My Jewelry Journey

KarenFe

Rough_Rock
I am new here and relatively new at nice jewelry. I have decided that this is my "Year of the Jewels" but am also realizing it might need to be extended another year or two after this year in order to fill my desired "starter" collection.

First off I pulled out a ring my dad got for me in Columbia probably about 15 or 20 years ago. I know nothing about it and am hoping someone might offer a little information - like a ballpark on how much it *might* be valued. I realize it's all speculation since it's based on a picture. I haven't worn the ring much at all because I wouldn't necessarily choose a heart shaped cabochon emerald ring but now that I'm older, I kind of like the quirkiness of it.

I also had this ring made for me and just got it a week or two ago. I wanted an aquamarine and had it put in a classic yet modern setting. The aquamarine is 7x6mm and has a beautiful blue color to it. It is made with white gold.

I don't know if I'm completely ready to continue to buy gems and have them set later since, but I did do it with my aquamarine, so I know that's a good first step.

Thanks for letting me ramble and post. This site is wonderful and I have completely neglected my duties of the day while going through post after post. There's a lot to learn!

2011_02_04_Rings13.jpg

2011_03_10_Aquamarine Ring13-2.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ! I am a learner too, and I am happy to see new stones and jewelry !!!

You are sporting two of my very favorites !!!!!
Emerald and Aquamarine :love: :love: :love:
I love your Emerald Cabochon and the Aquamarine is a stunning color !
Thank you for sharing!!!!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi KarenFe!

I too have some quirky rings that were bought for me or passed down to me that I would have never chosen for myself, but now I wear everyday. Be careful posting though... the forums get addictive very quickly :mrgreen:

I really like the emerald heart! And the rest of your pieces are classic.

Happy reading and welcome.

KarenFe

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies oooShiney and maebelle. I appreciate your comments.

I can tell that the forum can get addicting.... and quickly. Just reading the threads has my eyes sparkling and me telling dh I need more rings. Speaking of dh, I noticed I am not wearing my wedding rings in either of these pictures. When at home, I don't wear any rings at all. I find it annoying to get water under them, have them flip around on my finger, and they get banged a lot. When I do have any rings on at home I tend to just sit around and look pretty and nothing gets done.

Here is a closer up of my aquamarine. It's actually really hard to photograph with it's unique setting.

Thanks for looking!

2011_03_10_Aquamarine Ring6-2.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dig the setting on your aqua a lot!

I don't wear my rings at home either..it feels funny.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Love your aqua! And I'm another one who takes my rings off as soon as I get home.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I take my rings off if I cook, wash dishes or do housework, but otherwise I leave them on !
I really like that Aqua setting, it shows that stone off to perfection!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm also a learner. Though I've collected for a long time, I've refined my skills since I've been here. There's always something to learn when it comes to gems. I feel like if you're interested, you'll always learn something, because no one knows everything!

I take my jewelry off as soon as I get home. I really don't like having it on around the house (I sure do like looking at it though!!) :bigsmile:

-A

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
The aqua ring is serene, and beautifully photographed. Thanks for sharing.

KarenFe

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the kind comments about my new aqua ring. I love it and when I'm wearing it, I always find myself admiring it.

As for my photography - thanks! I taught myself photography and enjoy taking pictures.

I'm wondering if most people here buy their gems and keep a little (or big) stash of them as a collection or do most of you turn them into rings or other jewelry fairly quickly? And.... how many gems are in your collections? I wonder where this journey is going to take me. :love:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the Land of Bling! :wavey: I'm glad you've found us!

I love your cabochon Emerald. It's very unusual and I would most definitely wear that. I really like its quirkiness and the fact that you're highly unlikely to see anybody else with one. Just be careful with it won't you?

Your aqua is also pretty and a very unusual setting - it's sort of like an illusion/bezel setting mixture! Did you design it?

You asked where your journey is likely to take you? Errrrr, well, to having an empty purse most of the time! But wow, you'll sure look pretty! It's pretty addictive and I keep asking myself (after more than 20 years of collecting - I started young ;)) ) when I'm going to stop and there's no sign of it at the moment. Although in all honesty, I have slowed down and got a lot more picky!!!

KarenFe

Rough_Rock
I'm glad I found you too, but I'm not so sure my husband is. ;-)

I had my ring designed by a seller on etsy. I had purchased a band from them last year so was a repeat customer. They helped me find a stone (through their supplier) and I approved it based on some information and pictures. Then I told them that I wanted a more "traditional" setting (pronged) but based on a bezel ring http://www.etsy.com/listing/62997909/exquisite-dark-cornflower-blue-sapphire they had for sale on their site. My ring really shines! I am pleased all around with them.

Thanks!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
KarenFe|1300540648|2875145 said:
Thanks for the kind comments about my new aqua ring. I love it and when I'm wearing it, I always find myself admiring it.

As for my photography - thanks! I taught myself photography and enjoy taking pictures.

I'm wondering if most people here buy their gems and keep a little (or big) stash of them as a collection or do most of you turn them into rings or other jewelry fairly quickly? And.... how many gems are in your collections? I wonder where this journey is going to take me. :love:

I don't know about others here, but I bought my first 3 gems totally intending to have them set.
I lurked here for awhile and tried to base my purchases on what I had learned.
I did have those first 3 set, and I love them,
but
Somehow I woke up one day and I found myself with a little "collection" of stones that I almost enjoy more than the set ones.
Pretty funny, I think ! :sun:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous emerald! I do not think the shape matters, at least not any longer, because these stones are so rare and expensive these days.

I am not an aqua girl, so can't comment on aquamarine, but it looks saturated!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your rings. I am a sucker for hearts. Your aqua is very classy looking and a nice color.

I also take off my rings when I am doing anything around the house and usually leave them off after I have dishes done. They get their "bath" and put back in the jewelry box.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results