shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone here wear clip earrings???

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I am a slight oddity as I don't have pierced ears. I would like to start an earring project. Does anyone have any recommendations for suppliers of semi-mount clip-on earrings? I also would be willing to convert them, if I knew where or how to find the materials to do so...

Thanks!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi erinl
I am sure you are not as clumsy or careless as I am

If i were to have some clip on earrings made, I would use
the least expensive stones (or no stones) I could find, NEVER something that I love.
I would be asking for trouble.
when even the most secure of my hoop earrings
can work themselves out, drop off and get lost, ;( ;( ;(

I have lost an earring that had a security stopper on it !
I have lost a screw back post earring.
I have lost a leverback.
I don't know what I do, but it's bad.
Clip earrings for me, would be a disaster !

Most people do better than me....
I hope you are one of them!!! :))

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I believe I have seen parts in the Stuller catalog at my goldsmith's shop. I don't wear clips, I think they pinch, though I have read that if properly adjusted they can be comfortable to wear. I don't remember where I read that though! I suppose there are adjustable clips and non-adjustable clips.

I'm sure you have your reasons for not piercing, and I am not saying that you should.. but if you have considered it and decided not to...it wasn't very painful for me (I'm in my 40s). I got a second piercing on both ears last year just so that I could wear a pair of diamond studs made from stones from my mother's wedding band. It took awhile for them to heal, but I'm glad I did. Now I enjoy swapping a pair of studs into the second hole and often wear hoops in the first ones.

Laura

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Erini: I would suggest that before you undertake a project, go out and and get a pair of clip-ons to see if you like how they feel. There are different types, but I think the basic premise is that they stay on by squeezing your earlobe and I can't imagine that'd be comfortable. Maybe so, but before you devote $$ to a project, you might want to find out.

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

I do not wear clip on earrings, I found they gave me really bad headaches. (There are probably some pressure points they were tweaking.)

Here is a site containing the findings for clip on earrings. See if any tickle your fancy:

http://www.crazy4clipons.com/cat_clip_earrings_findings.cfm

ooo~Shiny- I've had good luck with the rubber backs on earrings. They seem to grab on better than some other stoppers. Have you had any luck with those?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried clip earrings once in the past and didn’t find them too comfortable. My mother cannot have her ears pierced for various reasons although she tried, so she wears a type modified screwback earrings as shown below. Please ignore the rest and you'll see how the earring on the right was made to fit unpierced ears.
Proportion4.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, my grandmother gave me a pair of screwback earrings like that. They are made for nonpierced ears and have the flat gold piece which locks the earring to the ear. Found them to be very comfortable actually though I have pierced ears.

I generally don't see clip ons much anymore, but maybe something like a screwback could be made by a jeweler possibly? I wouldn't know about them being mass produced unfortunately.

-A

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I will second Arcadian that the screwback style is quite comfortable. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 26 and would wear that style of clip - they were way more comfortable than traditional clip which hurt my ears when left on too long.

Here's a picture I found that shows them pretty well.

k9screwback.jpg

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all of the advice. I wore clip-on earrings for my wedding--they were white gold and diamond, an elongated diamond shape, and they were the type that sit entirely on the ear. They were actually very comfortable and I wore them all day and they did not hurt at all. I have had some other clip ons in my day that were not so comfortable to be sure!

Both of my sisters were bridesmaids and neither have pierced ears either, so for their bridesmaid present I bought them some dangle earrings from the same jeweler. The jeweler from whom I purchased these earrings was able to convert them to screwbacks. One of my sisters later wore them for her own wedding (which made me really happy) and my other sister wears them on dressier occasions.

I may just find some pierced earring semi-mounts and have them converted. i don't plan on using any incredibly expensive stones, I would also hate to lose an expensive stone! I do not wear earrings for anything other than special dressy occasions.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkle-magpie--thanks for the link--that is very helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results