shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone here likes included stones?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. It just so happens that often inclusions scatter the light and give this "halo" effect that I like so much. My Namibian spessartite and the spessartite from Lloliondo cut by Gene both have it. TL bought a spinel with inclusions and it is beautiful. Now this last discussion about included spinels in STCI's thread...

GIA textbooks state that clarity is very important. But on the next page, I read that Kashmir sapphires are famed because of their sleepiness... I would like to know what collectioners think.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm....

well, I buy what I like. Thats probably not the answer your looking for huh? lol I don't buy textbook stones because I'm not a textbook type person. I'm too weird for allthat.

At any rate, there are some stones where inclusions are prized, like the silk in kashmir sapphires of course as well as the horsetail inclusions in russian dematoids.

Inclusions can indeed be beautiful and interesting and give a stone some hella spark and personality. They can also make a stone that may otherwise be very pretty not so pretty. Just depends on what the inclusion is I guess. But for the most part, they bring stones that if perfect would be out of reach for many within reach, as long as they don't mind a few birthmarks here and there.

Inclusions are much more heavily graded down in type I stones, than say type II and III.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an easy question to answer because it varies.
1. In general, I like my gemstones eye clean BUT…
2. Sometimes, an interesting inclusion or inclusions make for an interesting stone, like rutilated quartz or growth lines in corundum and the like
3. Certain varieties of gemstones are also highly included and sometimes those inclusions add to character, like jardin in emeralds as long as they are not too distracting

In terms of inclusions in eye clean gems, I agree that microscopic inclusions scatter the light wonderfully, as in the rutile silk in sapphires, sugars in Loliondo spessartites and many more. Having some (and the right type of) inclusions in eye clean stones is also a good thing to identify that it is natural and not synthetic.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1297170033|2846472 said:
Not an easy question to answer because it varies.
1. In general, I like my gemstones eye clean BUT…
2. Sometimes, an interesting inclusion or inclusions make for an interesting stone, like rutilated quartz or growth lines in corundum and the like
3. Certain varieties of gemstones are also highly included and sometimes those inclusions add to character, like jardin in emeralds as long as they are not too distracting

In terms of inclusions in eye clean gems, I agree that microscopic inclusions scatter the light wonderfully, as in the rutile silk in sapphires, sugars in Loliondo spessartites and many more. Having some (and the right type of) inclusions in eye clean stones is also a good thing to identify that it is natural and not synthetic.
if i may add-i lv the inclusions in some of the demantoid garnets, the grow crystals in certain spinels, & the perticular inclusions in some alexandrite & columbia emerald-steve...

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I like inclusions, especially in a very clear stone. I am thinking of rubies and emeralds, in particular. My favorite stone was a pear shaped emerald, and it had a sort of tea dreg shaped and colored inclusion. Alas, I lost the stone! I love the inclusions in my ruby. I much prefer a clear stone with excellent color and inclusions to any other concession to fit my budget.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1297148430|2846387 said:
I do. It just so happens that often inclusions scatter the light and give this "halo" effect that I like so much. My Namibian spessartite and the spessartite from Lloliondo cut by Gene both have it. TL bought a spinel with inclusions and it is beautiful. Now this last discussion about included spinels in STCI's thread...

GIA textbooks state that clarity is very important. But on the next page, I read that Kashmir sapphires are famed because of their sleepiness... I would like to know what collectioners think.

I think all my spinels have inclusions (eye visible and non-eye visible) because there is so much synthetic material on the market, when I see a bubble or negative crystal inclusion, or silk, I feel that is a comfort. I like inclusions on some gems because certain kinds of inclusions are indicative of natural material and/or untreated material (but not always). I also like inclusions because it sometimes allows you to buy good color at a lower cost than if it were flawless. Truth be told, I actually do not like any flawless material, and if I did buy a flawles stone, it would have to come with a lab report. Synthetics have inclusions too, but typically, they are often very clean and crystal, especially spinels. Microscopic inclusions that are not eye visible, but througout the stone can help to avoid extinction as well, and give a glowy effect as in sleepy material.

Therefore, I think inclusions have a lot going for them, and I actually welcome them in gems.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we only bought what text books say then our collections would be significantly smaller!

Buy what you like, not what you're told you should like. It's incredibly important that you love a stone - it may not be the best in the world BUT it will be to you.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes, if they are not too distracting. They are often interesting and cool, but sometimes can make a stone look kinda homely. I like the ones that give character.

Laura

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
I agree that it depends, but yes I like them. Here are two included stones that were only a couple of dollars each. They could be considered ugly, but there's also something earthy and elemental about them. They seem a little more "wild" than their flawless cousins.

IMGP0776.JPG

IMGP0788.JPG

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think some inclutions can make a stone ugly and make the cut look awful, but to me it looks beautiful in cabs. Citrine is probably my favourite, it can make some stunning rainbows!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P1030257.jpg

this one is REALLY included with a big arse window but was purchased as a specimen stone. TL has the only other one I've seen on this board.

I've seen the deeper purple ones in person, they're really gorgeous but very pricey.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1297264459|2847575 said:
P1030257.jpg

this one is REALLY included with a big arse window but was purchased as a specimen stone. TL has the only other one I've seen on this board.

I've seen the deeper purple ones in person, they're really gorgeous but very pricey.

-A

Tan has a Mozambique violet cuprian for sale right now. It's around 4 carats, and he wants $5500 for it. It has some eye visible needles. I'm glad I got mine a long time ago (with a GIT memo). I guess these violet cuprians can be very pricey, depending on where you get them, inclusions and all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results