shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson 2011

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The sapphires look like licorice Chiclets. $7ct gum. But the pearl tables are to drool. Good to hear your take on irradiated (or not) tourmalines.

Thanks for posting the pics, Gene.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene,
I appreciate your taking the time to take and post those pictures. Man, look at those row after row of pearls and at the price of beads only? :-o

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I brought a couple of clients to Tucson last year - two sisters. They cut a HUGE swath through that pearl place, and then found clasps at another booth. We sent everything to my stringer when I got home.

The big pearl and bead vendor just gives you plastic shopping baskets to put everything in. It's pretty wild.

Yesterday I was buying badly cut stones that will become well cut stones when I get home. Today it's picking out some rose cut diamonds for a goldsmith who doesn't come to the shows, and cruising a few of my favorite "preform" vendors to see what else might be in need of a recut.

Tonight is a group dinner for another forum.

By now, I'm starting to just itch to get cutting! We get home Sunday night, so Monday needs to be a bench day before my head explodes :)

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gene & Lisa et al,

I am interested in the prices of the demantoid garnet from either namibia or Madagascar. I know the Russian material is costly, but can you give me a price or range of prices per carat on the other material. i see vastly different prices on the internet for essentially the same looking material. Is this material scarce or are the mines still quite new ? Thanks. And yes, how are the prices on mandrin garnets--the real deal?

Annette

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's hard to put a price on stones since they are all over the place depending on the quality. I know here it's been said a million times that "color is king", and don't worry about cut, but if you roam the shows in Tucson, you will see that the fine cut stones sell for a lot more than the poorly cut ones. You'll see tables full of stones in plastic sleeves with poor quality cutting being sold for just a few dollars, then go to the next booth and see fine cuts displayed well, costing hundreds of dollars per ct, same material. There is a Russian dealer that comes mind that has really nice cuts, and prices to go with them.

So a spessarite in a plastic sleeve tossed on a table with 1000 other stones may be $50 per ct, or a fine gem could $1000 per ct.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1296769867|2842180 said:
So a spessarite in a plastic sleeve tossed on a table with 1000 other stones may be $50 per ct, or a fine gem could $1000 per ct.

But are they the same quality of color, clarity and size?

Thanks again for the photos and the feedback on the show.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tourmaline_lover|1296776577|2842285 said:

Not in all cases, but you would be surprised at the color of some of the really cheap lousy cut stones. There is a difference between a stone and a "Gem", and often the difference is what's called the "make" in the trade, and this is all about the cut. Think about what is it that creates value in a stone, it's the rarity factor. With out mentioning any names, there is a certain cutter who does fantasy type cuts, often on in expensive quartz or topaz, the same quality material you can find right down the hall from his booth selling for a few dollars per stone, yet he will get several hundred times that price, because of the rarity, and the rarity is the cut. You can find thousands of large oval citrine stones in Tucson right now, but only a few citrine that stand out because of the "make". These are the gems, because they are rare, not just because of the material or color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1296779615|2842335 said:
tourmaline_lover|1296776577|2842285 said:

Not in all cases, but you would be surprised at the color of some of the really cheap lousy cut stones. There is a difference between a stone and a "Gem", and often the difference is what's called the "make" in the trade, and this is all about the cut. Think about what is it that creates value in a stone, it's the rarity factor. With out mentioning any names, there is a certain cutter who does fantasy type cuts, often on in expensive quartz or topaz, the same quality material you can find right down the hall from his booth selling for a few dollars per stone, yet he will get several hundred times that price, because of the rarity, and the rarity is the cut. You can find thousands of large oval citrine stones in Tucson right now, but only a few citrine that stand out because of the "make". These are the gems, because they are rare, not just because of the material or color.

Yeah, I know who you're talking about. He also sells gems for $$$$$ on Gem Shopping Network.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
[quote="PrecisionGem|Not in all cases, but you would be surprised at the color of some of the really cheap lousy cut stones. There is a difference between a stone and a "Gem", and often the difference is what's called the "make" in the trade, and this is all about the cut. Think about what is it that creates value in a stone, it's the rarity factor. With out mentioning any names, there is a certain cutter who does fantasy type cuts, often on in expensive quartz or topaz, the same quality material you can find right down the hall from his booth selling for a few dollars per stone, yet he will get several hundred times that price, because of the rarity, and the rarity is the cut. You can find thousands of large oval citrine stones in Tucson right now, but only a few citrine that stand out because of the "make". These are the gems, because they are rare, not just because of the material or color.[/quote]

so the "make" is what makes it standout, what makes it a "gem" which is more than merely the cut, color, rarity of the material. the the transformation of inexpensive quartz by making it unique, desireable, and noticeable = "make"....and gem worthy because it is now rare...it has been transformed and therefore "made". interesting piece of insider lingo!

MoZo

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The word "make" is used in reference to the shape and cut, apart from the color. You may hear, "great make, and nice color on the stone..." or "I really like this make".

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to look at the rough!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Did you all see the rough on precision gems (Gene's) blog???????? :appl: :love: :love: :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1296733178|2841703 said:
The sapphires look like licorice Chiclets. $7ct gum. But the pearl tables are to drool. Good to hear your take on irradiated (or not) tourmalines.

Thanks for posting the pics, Gene.

--- Laurie

It's funny, but if those sapphires look like that after treatment, heaven knows what they looked like before (arrgghhH!)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene-

Thank you so much for taking the time you did on this thread. The pictures were great and I especially appreciate your staying around and answering questions after you posted them. You have provided the kind of education that Pricescopers sometimes complain that they do not get from vendors/professionals. Grazie.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so true and I second that sentiment AGBF! The fact that you share all this information with us is awesome, but your photographs put you in a class by yourself. I am so grateful to you for bringing it to life for me and others... :wavey:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1296880550|2843672 said:
That is so true and I second that sentiment AGBF! The fact that you share all this information with us is awesome, but your photographs put you in a class by yourself. I am so grateful to you for bringing it to life for me and others... :wavey:

A great big DITTO!

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1296740010|2841739 said:
Gene,
I appreciate your taking the time to take and post those pictures. Man, look at those row after row of pearls and at the price of beads only? :-o

Wow ~ my mouth was dribbling looking at those pearls. Price of beads ~ Me want some!! At least a whole suitcase full ~ kekeke

Thanks for sharing your trip & photos Gene! :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Gene, I was just over at your blog once again oggling your rough which looks like candy. It makes me realize, though, that by the end of the day, that must have been one hecka heavy bag of rock candy you were carrying around - do you have any idea of how many pounds of rough you brought back?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results