color
clarity

Hello advice on setting a stone

Camille_Abigail

Rough_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 2 carat stone can run the gamut in terms of dimensions so it would be great if you can actually measure the setting to get an exact millimeter measurement. With a bezel setting, there is less leeway in the fit.

Camille_Abigail

Rough_Rock
hmmm I'll find my tape measure soon and check...thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A tape measurement is not precise enough – please use electronic calipers if you have it, otherwise bring it to a jeweler to have it measured.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That tourmaline has a very dark "C" axis and I have a feeling that it may be MUCH darker in hand than in those images. As for fitting to a bezel, may I suggest that you send the ring to your favorite cutter in order to have a stone cut which fits. Measuring with a tape or even calipers probably won't work, since you need several accurate dimensions around the perimeter of the stone, across both sides as well as both corners is a minimum and you could still have difficulties if the pavilion is quite deep or has extra steep break facets. With a bezel there is very little wiggle room for size and if the stone doesn't fit then it just won't work at all. How about a picture of your ring showing the bezel?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to expand on something that Chrono said earlier ............ you mentioned you wanted a 2ct stone. Just so you know, a 2ct Tourmaline (for example) will measure differently to a 2ct Diamond etc. A 2ct Sapphire will be different again. That's why people are asking for specific measurements of your setting. Then, you can compare the measurements to a stone (irrespective of what type of stone it is). So go by measurements and not carat weight - it's much easier!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Camille_Abigail|1296678486|2840957 said:
I'm new to here and I'm interested in replacing a stone in a setting I already have. It's a legacy repro with a bezel. I know the stone in it now has to be smashed and that's ok with me. I'm just nervous buying a new stone and hoping it fits. The ring has a 2 ct cushion stone in it now. I was seeing with some of your opinions would this stone fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-12ct-Top-Notch-RARE-Cushion-Bluish-Green-Tourmaline-/330431844772?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item4cef45d1a4

I am not a jeweler so take this with a grain of salt. It seems like this could be a pretty tricky endeavor because the bezel will have to be cut off or the edges of the bezel will have to be opened somehow to put the new stone in. Good luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results