shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you autoclave a diamond ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Greetings all

I work in a medical clinic with a surgical center. My boss said she had one of the surgical techs put her yellow gold/diamond ring in the autoclave instrument sterilizer in the surgery center and it made her diamond fabulously clean and sparkly. i'd like to try that because my ring has lots of nooks and crannies to clean and i find ultrasound doesnt really "do it for me". my ring is 90% platinum and diamond with bead set diamonds, so afraid to lose those in ultrasound.

does anyone know if this would be safe for me? i don't know much about the autoclave machine, i just believe they use high pressure steam to clean surgical instruments. how long would i use it for? do they get too hot and the temp would damage the metal or stones? or would it be safe?

thanks a bunch!!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I don't think autoclaving will hurt your ring, however, I don't think it will perform the type of cleaning you're after either. Autoclaving is for steam sterilization (kills bacteria, spores, etc.). Surgical instruments are cleaned or sanitized before sterilization by scrubbing with antiseptic detergents and brushes, placed into ultasonic baths, then put into the autoclave for sterilization.

The medical grade ultrasonic would do the job for you, but I understand your concern about loosening paved stones. Sorry!

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
My store is near two hospitals, I am very familiar with repairing rings after using this machine. Invisible set rings often are not done very well and have paper thin metal between the stones. The heat actually made the metal like butter. Should have been obvious, but inlaid opal was a really bad idea. Tanzanite, both halves of the stone still looked nice. Single large diamonds, no problem. Plain bands, no problem. Stainless Rolex watch bands, no problem (crystal and case should be covered), most other jewelry, stick to regular methods.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Wow so glad I asked before doing something stupid!!!

Thanks for the great answers for me!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results