shape
carat
color
clarity

which rubellite?

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
Hello,

So I've been looking into buying some more gems - nothing grand though :)

I've decide to get a "hot" pink stone and have narrowed my choices down to these 2.

1) bob kast stone : http://diamondbistro.com/category/238/Tourmaline/listings/18476/Bob-Kast-*On-Hold*-80ct-Rubellite-Tourmaline.html

2) this gem? :

So some questions:
1) Are bob kast's photos accurate? Is it possible that the stone be a bit more "hotter" in real life?
2) Will the inclusions of the second stone be just as pink lava like in real life? Or because the stones are so tiny, I wouldnt even notice them unless I look close? I love the colour, but all it is just colour with no sparkle and no lava like type of feel, then I would not put a bid in.
3) Which one would you chose-- or do you have any other stones to suggest that either under $100 if its around 6mm. I'm willing to spend more if it's bigger.. eg, If this was still available, I would have gotten it for the colour and size: http://mastercutgems.com/viewgem.php?gemid=5773&id=21965

thanks! :)

rub1.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a personal view only but I do not think of "hot pink" when I think of Rubellite. A pink tourmaline is a pink tourmaline. Rubellite is either purplish red, reddish purple or pinkish purple. So make sure you don't pay Rubellite prices if buying a pink tourmaline! (That's not a criticism of either of the vendors you've linked to but just a general observation).

I have no experience of Bob Kast's photos and whether they're accurate or not so I can't help there - sorry - but the one you're thinking about buying from him is very pretty. No.2 looks a bit too pink to me to be Rubellite but I'm sure others would disagree. It's very pretty and I'm sure the inclusions wouldn't be as obvious in real life AND it certainly fits your "hot pink" category - but do I think that's a Rubellite? Debatable. Mastercutgems in real life tend to look much better than the photos!

One thing to watch with Rubellite is that it should hold its colour in incandescent lighting and shouldn't appear muddy or brown - these are not as favoured as those that hold their colour.

BTW a good Rubellite can be fairly expensive!

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
Hi LD,

Thanks for the comment. I guess I do not mean to get a rubellite, but rather a hot pink or fuchsia stone that's decently durable, regardless of the type or name.

I think I will pass on the 2nd gemstone. I shrunk the picture down to roughly what it would look like in RL, and cant' really make out the nice "flow" of the inclusions.

I'll see if Dana has any more of the pink T in stock...

Thanks!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries. If you're looking for something durable - presumably you mean an every day stone? Then I'd steer away from Rubellite. Have you thought of Spinel? There are some incredible hot pink Mahenge Spinels to be had and that would most definitely fit the bill of hot pink! Do a search on this forum and you'll find tons and tons of examples!

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
Hi LD!

No, I do not need an everyday ring... i hope to get more stones to do some sort of rotation :twirl: but I am a klutz and dont want something too soft as I bang into things quite often.

I love the Mahenge stones, but they seem out of my budget for now.

Sorry, since I am just a noob when it comes to stones, I'm looking to spend not too much per carat unless its from a vendor that PSers recommend.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I don't know if this will help, but here is a not-very-flattering-picture of my Mahenge Spinel ring and my Bob Kast
Rubellite ("Rubellite"? )
I LOVE both. :love: :love: :love:

There is no denying the hot pinkness of that Mahenge, but I think the BK stone can hold its own
and at one tenth the price!!!! 8-)
What's not to like?

*edited to add: Boy, those colors didn't copy onto this thread very well, I guess you will need to use your imagination, sorry :???:

IMG_0123.JPG

john gem

Rough_Rock
The color of that stone is the picture is excellent.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK here is an "unglamour" picture. Actually, a part of a photo made for fun when I opened my small gem box. I did not focus on Bob's tourmaline, I did not even plan to post it here, there were spinels, chrysos, garnets, I liked the way the light was playing on them. But look at this small Bob's stone, photographed against black background, pushed in the corner, next to a very bright garnet... see how red it is? My only advise - when you decide to buy a stone from Bob, discuss it with him, his stones are all very different.

bobk111.jpg

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
thank you all for the advice and pictures :appl:

I actually received 2 small light pink Ts from him today finally and was very very satisfied with them. They turned out a bit more saturated than pictured, so now I'm really sure this stone will be fine :)

One though, when I compare it to my cc spinel, the Ts sparkle like crazy. I'm not sure if it's the cut different, but wow!

I am reallllyyyy falling in love with coloured stones :love: wish I had more $$ :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, if its a true addiction, you WILL FIND the money - who says regular meals for your family is important? New clothes and haircuts? Why, they'll just get worn out...and who needs electricity when candles are so romantic? :naughty: :naughty: :lol:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
oh wow :love: wish you didnt link that... :love: :love: :shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results