shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncut garnet necklace???? Added better pics..

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock
My g-ma passed on some of her unworn jewelry to me at Christmas because she knows I'm a jewelry nut. She has worked in a jewelry store part time for years and is best friends with the owner, she has some "interesting" pieces. One of the sets she said gave me she said was uncut garnets, she is over 80 and gets confused, so I'm not sure if this is what they are or not, but they are unique. I'm going to try to add a picture it looks black in the picture but in real life its a pretty merlot color what do you guys think?

photo.jpg

garnet.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Re: Uncut garnet necklace????

Yup, they look like they've been tumbled and turned into briolettes so I wouldn't really describe them as un-cut. Such a nice family heirloom to have.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

they look cabbed or rounded...certainly not facet cut. but they are not "rough" by any means.

and i like the "merlot" look of such a set. i doubt anyone could get a great picture but i'd love to see one as i have a gut feeling this is a lovely set.

MoZo

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I think you should take a better photo. From the photo you posted they look like peppercorns

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock

I will try and take another better picture I'm using my Iphone so I only have so much I can do, what exactly are we looking for to tell if they are peppercorns vs garnets?

teddybearmommy

Rough_Rock

Here I got a better picture.

garnet.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I bet it's really lovely in person. All the stones appear to be the same size which suggests they were cut somehow into sphers. Are they sperical or are they flat multi-sided. Some of the Victorian bohenian garnet designs did use garnet crystals, in abundance, so it is possible.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had a camera at hand, I'd post a very simple necklace, only it is a single string. They were sold in abundance in Russia in mid-80 es and came from India. Together with Indian skirts and dresses made of finest cloth - I am sure you saw them here, too. There were also tumbled almandine strings, amethyst strings, purses studded with white onyx and what not. They are pretty sturdy, and I am surprised at the quality of the thread. Mine is more of a historic value to me although the beads could be used for smaller pendants. Old ivory or coral carving pendants look nice on it.

To answer your question, they are, 95%, real. It just made no sense to imitate these stones. I have not checked them but if anyone wants a definite answer, I have a much larger tumbled almandine from another string that came loose and I can check it, that is, if I find it. (Last time I saw it in a laundry basket, courtesy of my dearest son).

P.S. and by the way, the color of these garnets is lovely. It is less dark than it comes out in photographs.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, they look like bohemian garnets...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto! They look like Bohemian garnets to me, which have been cabbed and polished.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
'Halo' Kitty!|1294697179|2819182 said:
juicy pomegranate seeds!

you are so right! yum!

MoZo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results