carat
color
clarity

Good Family Dogs

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17 said:
I'm loving all these lab pics! Deb and ksinger, your doggies just make me melt!

The feeling is mutual, I assure you, junebug. I have wanted to reach into the picture and get my hands on Cowboy's soft muzzle! It looks so tempting to touch!!!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen said:
Zoe said:
I know labs are great dogs but what about retrievers? I'm surprised that no one's mentioned them yet. I haven't owned one, so I can't speak from personal experience, but all of the retrievers I've known have been fabulous dogs and GREAT with kids/families.

Labs are retrievers ;)) Unless you mean golden retrievers? They're also fantastic kid dogs! I actually prefer them - labs can be extremely hyperactive and goldens tend to be a bit more mellow.

Oops -- sorry! Yeah, I meant goldens.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, Deb, I've read through the whole thread but I must have forgotten that you mentioned goldens a while back.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to throw in to the ring my recommendations for family-friendly dogs. While I think labs are great family pets, if you don't have the space/energy for one, or you don't want to deal with the massive shedding, I would look into either a Shih Tzu or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

I have owned 3 Shih Tzu's and they are fabulous, friendly, non-shedding, low maintenance (as long as you keep their hair short) dogs. You don't have any of the snapping like some other breeds and they are generally non obsessive barking, like some of the other smaller dogs. Again, everything is based on training, but I found they were pretty easy to train and get along with pretty much everyone. They do have a bit of a little dog complex, so they will bark/act aggressive toward bigger dogs, but I think that is too be expected with smaller dogs. Otherwise, they are lap dogs who are exceedingly affectionate and don't need a huge yard or too much exercise.

I have not owned a Cavalier yet, but I think that is what our next dog will be, once we move into a proper house. I have heard that they are excellent family dogs with no major medical issues. They are also slighty bigger than Shih Tzu's, which I think would be good for younger kids. They are supposed to be very sweet and loyal, and pretty easy to train.

Just my 2 cents...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
dcgator said:
I have not owned a Cavalier yet, but I think that is what our next dog will be, once we move into a proper house. I have heard that they are excellent family dogs with no major medical issues. They are also slighty bigger than Shih Tzu's, which I think would be good for younger kids. They are supposed to be very sweet and loyal, and pretty easy to train.

Just my 2 cents...

While I think Cavs are amazing amazing dogs, I wanted to throw out that they have one of the highest incidences of medical issues of any purebred. If you're thinking of getting one, I would only go through the most reputable of breeders and do a lot of research on hereditary conditions first. One of the more common is a condition where the skull is too small for the brain - it's not fixable and as you can imagine is extremely painful. It's very sad that they have so many health issues, as they're incredibly sweet dogs and I think have more of a laid back "big dog" personality than the majority of little yappy dogs.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Elrohwen said:
dcgator said:

Just my 2 cents...

While I think Cavs are amazing amazing dogs, I wanted to throw out that they have one of the highest incidences of medical issues of any purebred. If you're thinking of getting one, I would only go through the most reputable of breeders and do a lot of research on hereditary conditions first. One of the more common is a condition where the skull is too small for the brain - it's not fixable and as you can imagine is extremely painful. It's very sad that they have so many health issues, as they're incredibly sweet dogs and I think have more of a laid back "big dog" personality than the majority of little yappy dogs.

I did quite a bit of breed research the past several months and came across this many times. They're increasing quite quickly in popularity too so I'd imagine this is only going to get worse with bad breeders looking to make a buck.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen said:
dcgator said:

Just my 2 cents...

I know this thread is nearly dead at this point, but wanted to second Elrohwhen on this. Sorry to keep "ditto"ing you!

CKCSs also have a serious condition called heart mitral valve disease (MVD) which I read on cavalierhealth.org afflicts over half of CKCSs by he age of 5 and nearlly ALL of them by age 10. It's the leading cause of death within the breed, which is terribly sad. I would have a very hard time choosing a breed which is nearly guaranteed to come with heart issues.

I have newfoundlands, which are notoriously dysplastic, so I do understand the woes of health issues with purebred dogs. Even going over health clearances of the lineage with a fine-tooth comb doesn't guarantee a healhy dog. I've had both of my dogs radiographed multiple times (1 year and 2 years) to ensure they are showing no signs of dysplasia. Choosing a breed with your eyes wide open is important.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
NEL, I'm happy to be ditto-ed by someone who knows so much about dogs! :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that we are about to take the leap and buy the Newfoundland about which we have been thinking (and I have been posting). I started with research through the Newfoundland organization and by getting lists of their recommended breeders. In the end, instead of going with a new litter of puppies that one breeder had-the mother had only four puppies-we decided to take an older male dog that the breeder had decided she was going to let go. He is still, really, a puppy himself, but not small any longer! He is now 16 months and at his full size at 120 lbs., putting him on the small side for a male. My daughter really didn't want to go through puppyhood with a dog, so although I would have enjoyed it, it was unnecessary. The dog is for her and she chose the breed. So if she wanted this dog, this is going to be it. The dog will be coming to us on a trial basis, however. The breeder wants her dogs to be happy!

He has been an outdoor dog because the breeder wants her dogs to develop muscle and get a lot of exercise, but he has been put in a crate at times. He has had no obedience training and is not housebroken. So we will have our hands full. Luckily, we are not novices. I have adopted before (although I will be buying in this case). I know that there is a a period of adjustment that must be expected. I will try to stay tuned in to the dog's needs as he changes environments, because I know it will be traumatic for him to leave his home and his pack.

If all goes well, he should be coming home to Connecticut this week.

Deb/AGBF

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Nevermind, posting on other thread!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, NEL. I think you hit the nail on the head as to the reason that the breeder is willing to give up the dog. He stopped growing and she said that getting him to champion status would be a long slog, something she had just gone through with another of her dogs and wasn't really ready to try to do again. She has two adolescent males now and she says that the pedigree of the other one is more useful to her. (The other one is being raised under the same conditions if we had wanted him.)

Would you mind moving this discussion to the thread I started in Hangout so that all the discussion could be in one thread? I will put a link to that thread here in case anyone else comes upon this thread!

Thank you for your help!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/it-looks-promising.154627/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/it-looks-promising.154627/[/URL]

Deb

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Deb, I just posted in your other thread, so I deleted this post. I don't have any concerns at this point--I think you're adopting from a breeder with a kennel, that's all. Some of the "bigger" breeders do that--I was just wanting to make sure :)

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I'd get a mutt from the shelter. I've had several and I tend to gravitate toward lab mixes. My full blooded black lab came from a terrific kennel but he has numerous health issues that seem to be typical of purebred dogs. If you're looking for a dog that is good with kids the folks at the shelter will help you find one.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also vote for a mixed-breed dog. The two sweetest dogs I've ever known was our dog Tyler, a black lab mix, and Betty, our chow/golden mix dog.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1294177759|2814255 said:
I also vote for a mixed-breed dog. The two sweetest dogs I've ever known was our dog Tyler, a black lab mix, and Betty, our chow/golden mix dog.

I totally agree. I've likely voted in the past for beagles, but when faced with the reality that there are so many mixes in shelters and so many loving mixes out there, please adopt instead. Some patience and willingness to learn on the owner's part goes SO far, and can bring so many years of utter happiness to a family who is willing to just be patient for a few months' of training. And people out there will help you train! You aren't in it alone when you adopt!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Poor baby.. :D

bull-terrier-pit-bull-extreme.jpg

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Just have to say in defense of the German Shepard- I was really surprised to see many people consider them agressive and the studies that say so too because it has been so far outside my family's experience. Our shepard is now ten, but ever since he came home as a puppy he has ADORED kids. We have 12 acres of wooded property and we taught him to find each of the kids in the woods if we gave him a piece of their clothing to sniff first. He has never had trouble bonding with new people- scratch behind his ears and he'll love you forever. He does take his job of securing the house and yard very seriously- he just can't stand those pesky deer in his yard :lol: ! But we have never ever had an instance of aggression from him.

There are breed tendencies- my border collie mix definitely 'herds' the other dogs- but generally dogs wish to please and they want to know how they can make you happy! This is where the training kicks in. I have been thrilled with the Clicker Training Method, we have a wonderful trainer in our area with whom I did puppy obedience, and every dog in the class learned to behave themselves quickly and with obvious enjoyment regardless of breed. I highly recommend this kind of positive reinforcement training program- it's been a lifesaver for us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clicker_training

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results