shape
carat
color
clarity

Negotiating at Niwaka?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sfox

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am pretty set on buying an engagement ring from Niwaka (Japanese jewelry chain, with a branch in NYC) as my girlfriend and I both really love their rings. Based on the pricing guidelines I''ve seen on this site as well as others, their diamonds do seem to be on the high (high!) end.

I was wondering if anyone has tried negotiating at Niwaka? I know it won''t hurt to try, but I want to see if anyone has had success there before I give it a shot. It seems like their prices are set in Japan (the salesperson was looking at a catalog with prices given in Yen for various specs) and I''m not sure how much leeway there is for negotiating. If anyone out there is familiar with Japanese culture, is negotiating something that is done in Japanese jewelry stores in general?

Thanks for any replies. This is a great forum!

Steve

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jewelry
Since landing in Soho in 2000, Niwaka—the Tiffany of Japan—has developed a loyal following. Its rings are the ultimate symbol of femininity, elegance, and prestige. The sleek designs come only in white or yellow gold or platinum, but there are plenty to choose from, and you can even design your own. Prices begin at $300 for a simple yellow gold band and top out at $13,000 for a one-carat diamond engagement ring with platinum setting.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This above was published about Niwaka.... With that sort of standing, I'd say start saving up the money to pay the asking price....

I did look at their designs. Some are unique, but many are very ordinary. The ordinary ones you could buy elsewhere or possibly make to order for less, but they would not be authentic Niwaka.... The unusual items were different and very Japanese in feeling. A certain charm and appeal, but I can't say I understand their very complex culture.

knavin

Rough_Rock
I was at Niwaka just yeaterday. I find the prices for diamonds to be steep when compared to Blue Nile. For example the diamonds they carry a 1.09 carat with a color rating of F, SI1, ideal cut is priced for about $12000. A similar diamond at blue Nile is about $8,000. I haven't approched them with this as yet, but am thinking about it. It did not seem like you can bargain at this store but I will make an attempt to find out why their diamonds are so much more expensive. But I do love their rings and regardless I may just suck it up and get a Niwaka ring. Good luck

AlwaysLearning

Rough_Rock
If you're considering Niwaka, consider getting your own diamond and paying their ($1500) setting penalty. This will likely save a considerable amount of money as well as complete flexibility over the stone (which you will have to purchase sigh unseen). See my experiences here.

bling

Shiny_Rock
Do they have a website? I would like to see some of their designs.. thanks!
read.gif
appl.gif
9.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
thanks!
naughty.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
wow, the rings are very unique and pretty. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results