shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you believe it's real opal?

stci

Ideal_Rock
How to know if those stone are real opals?

opalring.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Look at them with a loupe. Almost all synthetic opals have a honeycomb or lizard skin like pattern to them. Glass fakes have to be contained and bezel set with closed back to make them look like anything close to opal. Small white opals like those shown are not very expensive, so there's little reason to use fakes or simulants. I'd hate to say they're real from a picture, but they sure do look like it.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Michael. Problem is this item is on Internet and I can't loop it.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
They look just like the opal necklace my DH got me as a wedding gift. It's real, but not expensive.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with Michael that I normally hesitate to say whether something is (a) or (b) from a photo but in this instance, white opals with only a gentle display of colour are not expensive and therefore it's likely this is real. The opals could be doublets or triplets though and so might be worth asking the seller whether he/she knows.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would cost more to invest into imitating white opals. The brooch is pretty, though, and will be seen if you plan to wear it, especially on black/darker material. If the price is right, I'd buy it.

stci

Ideal_Rock
It's not a brooch Crasru it's a ring.

Seller said the little stone in center are diamond. I suppose they don't use diamond with immitation opals.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
My guess is real. The fake ones have way too much color play.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
stci|1292701056|2800450 said:
It's not a brooch Crasru it's a ring.

Seller said the little stone in center are diamond. I suppose they don't use diamond with immitation opals.

Are you sure they are real diamonds?

stci

Ideal_Rock
The seller said it's diamond tested by a good jeweler. You have doubt? Why?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a strong possibility of the opals being real because they do not show a lot of colour play. It still could be a doublet or triplet and just because they are set with diamonds do not necessarily mean that they are real. Many stones in the Art Deco era were synthetics that are set with real diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results