shape
carat
color
clarity

14kp?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bogus

Rough_Rock
has anyone seen this stamped on 14kt gold? what does it mean? is this stamp
more common now?
thanx

bogus

Rough_Rock
okay so i called a jewler and he said the p in 14kp means plum? has anyone
heard of that?
thanx

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yes. It seems to date a piece w/ this mark. Can't remember off the top of my head - or if that is the case. But, I do have a ring marked in this way that appears to be from the 40's.

bogus

Rough_Rock
actually this is a new ring. it is a aquamarine ring i saw in a jewelry store.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Veronica,

This marking relates to some odd, and now obsolete, US laws. 14 karat means that an item is 14/24 gold with the remainder being other metals. The problem comes with the rounding. 13.88/24 would be rounded to 14k under the old US law and 13k under matching British law. Obviously, this could cause some confusion, especially for US manufacturers who want to sell in Europe. European customers simply didn’t believe the marks. They started using 14kp (the p stands for plumb) to mean that it is at least 14.00/24 parts gold. The rules have actually changed to where US manufacturers are using the same rules as the rest of the world but the 14kp system of naming still lives on. For new pieces, 14k and 14kp both mean that it’s at least 14.00/24 parts gold. In older pieces 14k might contain as little as 13.51/24.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
I had asked this question awhile ago. I'm glad to have an answer.
21.gif
I have a ring my grandma made around 16 years ago with this mark.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results