shape
carat
color
clarity

How did I do? (take two)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jason32803

Rough_Rock
OK.. I posted the specs on the ring I bought for my girl friend and everyone seemed less-then-impressed. I''m not going to give the love of my life a diamond that you people aren''t impressed with.. so I went back to the store and got another one.

Forget about the price. (who can put a price on happiness?) What about this one?

Shape: round
Measurments: 6.38-6.44 x 3.93
size: 1 carat
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Medium to Thick, Faceted
Cutlet: none

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very good

Clarity: VS1
Color: F
Florecence: None

I''ll post a picture of it when I get a chance.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where's the rest of the numbers?

jason32803

Rough_Rock
I have a GIA cert.. thats all I have!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Hard to tell with the info you posted, but it seems a little fat around the middle.

What specs are you asking them to meet and what are they telling you about the stone?

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
Your stone sounds great and she'll love it!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Can't really tell without crown and pavilion angles. Ask your vendor to run a Sarin report for this stone and post that information.

From what you have, it's smaller than I'd want for a 1 ct. stone. A really well cut 1 ct. should be right around 6.5mm in diameter, this one falls short of that, probably because the weight is hidden in the thick girdle.

Try to stay within the thin-medium range for the girdle. You might also want to see if your vendor can bring in a stone with an AGS cert -AGS will provide the missing numbers if your vendor cannot run a Sarin on the diamond.

If you're looking for perfection (sounds like you really want the best of the best) - I probably wouldn't settle for this stone, unless you don't mind it facing up slightly smaller, AND unless the missing numbers turn out to be really cherry.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/23/2004 9:08:49 AM jason32803 wrote:

OK..
What about this one?

Shape: round
Measurments: 6.38-6.44 x 3.93
size: 1 carat
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Medium to Thick, Faceted
Cutlet: none

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very good

Clarity: VS1

I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance.----------------

Hi, Jason: There isn't enough data here - need crown and pavilion angles.

However.....I'd personally pass on this stone. It lacks the diameter that a 1 ct. stone should have, and I can't see paying for the thick girdle.

Maybe it would be easier if you post your budget...then we can perhaps help find a few decent candidates in your range.

jason32803

Rough_Rock
I told them that I want it to fit into an ideal cut category.. that is has to be colorless.. VS2 or better..

I agree that the girdle may be a little bit thick, but it dosen't look small as far as I can tell. I looked at it next to other 1 carat diamonds.

THANKS BLUEMAN! Your telling me what I really want to hear...

I'll see about that Sarin report..

I'm actually done diamond shopping. The stone is really nice looking. Clear as a bell and plenty of sparkle. The GIA cert will impress her, she won't know what the diameter should be, but she knows about the other numbers and I think they stack up.

AS far as budget goes, I blew past that with the first diamond!
22.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
No offense to Blueman33 -but personally I'd trust the advice of someone like aljdewey who's been around here longer over someone who's a relative newcomer (as far as I can tell) to diamonds.

But, if it's about hearing what you wanted to hear, rather than the truth... And if you trust your vendor without the information to confirm for yourself what you're getting, that's definitely your choice too. I'd just hate to pay "ideal" prices for something that might not be.

In any case, if it looks pretty to you, and you don't mind possibly overpaying for it, I guess that's all that matters. Good luck with the proposal!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
people are strange. they come here to p.s to get advice and the regular posters here give them the right direction. yet somehow somewhere, they still make a wrong turn. this particular stone obviously has too much weight in the girdle. and is the only reason it make the 1 ct weight.

Jason :take quaeritur & aljedwey's advice.

jason32803

Rough_Rock
I don't see how the extra thickness in the girdle would make the diamond meet 1 carat.. I see that is makes the diamond look a little (very little in my opinon) smaller.

I appreciate everyone's advice, and it is the reason that went and found this stone rather then the original one I had for her.. fact is, I really love this diamond. It is exactly what I need. It will make her very happy.

Look for pictures in another post if I can figure out how to get a decent picture of it with my digital camera.

Thanks again.

reena

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/24/2004 1:42:31 AM vtigger86 wrote:

people are strange. they come here to p.s to get advice and the regular posters here give them the right direction. yet somehow somewhere, they still make a wrong turn.
Jason :take quaeritur & aljedwey's advice.
----------------

i second that.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 9/24/2004 9:08:49 AM jason32803 wrote:

I don't see how the extra thickness in the girdle would make the diamond meet 1 carat.. I see that is makes the diamond look a little (very little in my opinon) smaller.

----------------

Exaclty, you have a diamond that looks smaller than a well cut 1 carat stone, yet the extra weight in the girdle makes it weigh 1 carat so they can charge you the extra premium for a one carat stone. It's like buying an expensive steak at the butcher and having them charge you for the styrofoam tray it sits on. Only in this case the $/lb or $/carat goes up quite a bit at the magic 1 c mark.

Since you asked, I would personally pass on this stone unless what's more improtant to you is the 1 carat number and a stone that looks like one less than 1 carat. I wouldn't pay the permium to have the number on a piece of paper. But, if your're happy with it then go for it.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Except for the spread, a med-thick girdle has it's benefits for stability.

jason32803

Rough_Rock
Here is another diamond with similar stats.. what would be the word on this one?

Round
6.39-6.42X 3.99
Polish: Ideal
Sym: Ideal

Clarity: VS2
Carate: 1.00

Depth: 62.3%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 35.1%
Pavillion Angle: 40.9%
Girdle: Med to Slightly Thick
Cutlet: None

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
It's a little deep.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
You know, if you've already purchased the diamond, like it, think your intended will like it and feel like you've gotten a good price it really doesn't matter what we think around here. Like the others said it's hard without crown and pavilion angles to give an accurate opinion but a lot of diamond buying is just looking at the stone and seeing if it "grabs" you.

There are some beautiful diamonds that really shouldn't be according to the numbers but alas, they are anyway.

Congratulations on your purchase and your engagement!

How's that for being what you wanted to hear.
2.gif

jason32803

Rough_Rock
Pearcrazy,

Yes! That is what I want to hear..
1.gif

I think I posted in the wrong area.. I was really looking for the "pat on the back" thread.

reena

Ideal_Rock
then try SMTR--but we'll want to see pictures!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/24/2004 10:25:26 AM jason32803 wrote:

Here is another diamond with similar stats..

----------------

Ok. How about THIS. You do not mention the price, but the "ideals" on the cert usually come at a premium with little showing for them. I'd rather see more of the stone than numbers alone... and this once comes with the Ideal Scope signature in tow.

I know PS is good to ease the pressure on this critical shopping as much as for buying diamonds. the ring is the easy part
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/24/2004 9:22:23 AM noobie wrote:

----------------
On 9/24/2004 9:08:49 AM jason32803 wrote:

----------------

Exaclty, you have a diamond that looks smaller than a well cut 1 carat stone, yet the extra weight in the girdle makes it weigh 1 carat so they can charge you the extra premium for a one carat stone. It's like buying an expensive steak at the butcher and having them charge you for the styrofoam tray it sits on. Only in this case the $/lb or $/carat goes up quite a bit at the magic 1 c mark.

Since you asked, I would personally pass on this stone unless what's more improtant to you is the 1 carat number and a stone that looks like one less than 1 carat. I wouldn't pay the permium to have the number on a piece of paper. But, if your're happy with it then go for it.
----------------

Noobie
i think this is more of a case were the butcher didn't trim off the extra fat.
9.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
He's already got the ring in his possession and I think he's planning on keeping it. He's posted a picture over on SMTR and I must say that it looks lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results