shape
carat
color
clarity

Silly question...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you double space or single space after a period? Many moons ago, I was taught to double space and I can't kick the habit, as I understand single space is pretty much what's the way to go these days? I looked up the rules and there seems to be all kinds of info on this stuff.

I'm not sure I can kick the double space habit. So the question is, do you double space or single space? And did you learn to type on a typewriter or a computer?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Double space after a full stop and I learned on a 'pooter.

But I don't use correct formatting on PS, I type quickly and post quickly.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was taught to double space. Back in the 80's when we learned on a real typewriter. :lol:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From learning to type on a typewriter, it's always been my understanding that there should be two spaces after a period. I'm not aware of any change to this practice.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
A single space after a full stop is correct.

The double space originated in the days of typewriters when two spaces were required after a sentence to make for ease of reading. Now, your computer automatically inserts an extra space after a period, so it is no longer necessary.

Here's an old Q&A from the Purdue OWL on the subject:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/purdueowlnews/550

I learned to type on a typewriter, and then had to adjust the habit in college at my composition professor's insistence. It was an easy habit to kick, if you're really interested in doing so.

I *believe* that your double spacing doesn't even register online, so when you use two spaces after a period in a post for PS, for example, it only shows up as one space when it is actually posted, anyway. All that spacing for nothing!

ETA: I believe some style guides still call for the use of two spaces, but they are in the minority nowadays.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I learned double space on a computer in California. However, either is correct as long as you're consistent. I actually only do single space now that I'm not in the world of academia. At work, single space is the only way accepted.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Testing to see if the double spacing is ignored online:
Double space. Single space. Double space. Single space. No more space.

ETA: ^The double spaces were eliminated.^

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I do double spaces, and learned to type on a computer.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I double space. Apparently, according to my DH, after each period, I pound pound on the space bar rather than lightly tap. Not sure why. Maybe it's because I'm such an incredibly fast typist. lol (j/k)

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1290103271|2771456 said:

And THIS is why I love you so!

I was taught on a computer as well, and double space after a period was mandatory for us. I kicked that habit as soon as I graduated from high school! I think it's archaic.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just noticed that. I wasn't even paying attention. Imagine how much time would be saved by retraining one's self to single space!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1290103480|2771463 said:

And THIS is why I love you so!

I was taught on a computer as well, and double space after a period was mandatory for us. I kicked that habit as soon as I graduated from high school! I think it's archaic.
:bigsmile: :wink2: ::) ;))

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1290103074|2771448 said:
A single space after a full stop is correct.

The double space originated in the days of typewriters when two spaces were required after a sentence to make for ease of reading. Now, your computer automatically inserts an extra space after a period, so it is no longer necessary.

Here's an old Q&A from the Purdue OWL on the subject:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/purdueowlnews/550

I learned to type on a typewriter, and then had to adjust the habit in college at my composition professor's insistence. It was an easy habit to kick, if you're really interested in doing so.

I *believe* that your double spacing doesn't even register online, so when you use two spaces after a period in a post for PS, for example, it only shows up as one space when it is actually posted, anyway. All that spacing for nothing!

ETA: I believe some style guides still call for the use of two spaces, but they are in the minority nowadays.

That makes sense.

I used to work in the legal world and double spacing after a full stop was required.

(This is my 5th attempt at posting, damned preview!)

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I always single space after a period. It is how I was taught. I only double space when an essay requires it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
It warms my heart that this topic is moving so fast.
It makes me feel hope for the future of written communication.
:appl: :)) :love: :sun:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Boy the stuff you learn on PS!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1290103740|2771473 said:

Do you think it will bring back handwritten notes and cursive? ::)

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I learned to type on a typewriter so I continue to double space after a period. I also put the requisite 3 spaces between state and zip code but I may be the only one who does that--not sure if those rules have changed!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
curlygirl|1290104058|2771485 said:
I learned to type on a typewriter so I continue to double space after a period. I also put the requisite 3 spaces between state and zip code but I may be the only one who does that--not sure if those rules have changed!

LOL Curly! You were a good student, because I didn't even know what was a RULE!!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1290103893|2771478 said:

You know, a lot of people tell me it's too much effort to write cursive, but I find printing takes more. With cursive, the writing flows. But when I print, I have to lift my hand after every letter. So what gives? :confused:

I love hand-written notes. *swoon* Dear hubby knows this and writes me sweet notes on every special occasion. On our one year wedding anniversary he began a journal that documents all his favourite moments and memories with me :love:

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1290104173|2771489 said:

You know, a lot of people tell me it's too much effort to write cursive, but I find printing takes more. With cursive, the writing flows. But when I print, I have to lift my hand after every letter. So what gives? :confused:

I love hand-written notes. *swoon* Dear hubby knows this and writes me sweet notes on every special occasion. On our one year wedding anniversary he began a journal that documents all his favourite moments and memories with me :love:

Do they even TEACH cursive anymore?

I'm a sucker for a hand-written note as well. When DH was courting me, he sent me a card with a hand-written note in it EVERY DAY for months. :love: I've saved all of them. I'm also a huge fan of hand-written thank you notes and I still do them and write them for my children now but I plan on getting them into the habit when they can actually write! ;))

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1290104173|2771489 said:

Oh, so do I. The journal he created for you sounds amazing. What a wonderful gift.
DH and I exchange handwritten notes as gifts for birthdays and holidays.

TGal--I wish. My composition students have to write a handwritten, timed essay for their exit exam and some of them are terrified because they have such poor handwriting.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
It took a while for me to kick the habit but I don't double space anymore.

I still write in cursive! All of my notes are in cursive. I also still take notes and do written outlines. I cannot write anything for work without doing a handwritten outline first.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Curly, I actually don't know if they teach it, but I will be teaching Amelia if they don't.

And yes, handwritten notes between husband and wife is a wonderful thing. TGuy and I do this for all key occasions...most of the time it's no gifts...just something handwritten.

I don't feel like it was that long ago when I went to college (I started in 90 and graduated in 94) but back then, as an English major, we were allowed to turn in papers HANDWRITTEN for some professors!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

I will never be able to kick my double spacing habit because it's been ingrained in me for far too long (typewriter days) but I try to be in correct form if I can, so it's good to know that even though I continue to hit the space bar twice after a period, it doesn't show up here.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, cursive is still taught!

My kids have been at a few different schools and it varies by grade, but my 4th grader knows it and can read/write it and my 2nd grader is practicing it.

FWIW, my kids' school hugely emphasizes good handwritten skills. They handwrite all their work and their report cards include grades for their skill level.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1290104717|2771513 said:
Curly, I actually don't know if they teach it, but I will be teaching Amelia if they don't.

And yes, handwritten notes between husband and wife is a wonderful thing. TGuy and I do this for all key occasions...most of the time it's no gifts...just something handwritten.

I don't feel like it was that long ago when I went to college (I started in 90 and graduated in 94) but back then, as an English major, we were allowed to turn in papers HANDWRITTEN for some professors!
So were we! I was an English major from 1998 to 2002, and even then we were allowed to submit handwritten papers.

When I was in law school in 2003 we had the option of writing our test responses by hand, or on computer. I opted to write them by hand.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I took a journalism class in high school 8 or 9 years ago, and was taught to double space. I just feel weird not doing it!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1290105445|2771532 said:
TravelingGal|1290104717|2771513 said:

So were we! I was an English major from 1998 to 2002, and even then we were allowed to submit handwritten papers.

When I was in law school in 2003 we had the option of writing our test responses by hand, or on computer. I opted to write them by hand.

Really? Wow...but computers were in full force by then. Interesting! I would have thought that stopped in the 90s...but maybe laptops weren't very affordable until later?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was taught to double space. I was then retaught single space when I was in Art School. Font designs no longer require two spaces plus it ruins the typographical look ::) I always single space. APA keeps changing their mind. I think they always will to see new manuals. :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results