shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy thread with toddlers 12-36 months

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hunter is now 21 months and he is in the thick of the "fun times" for sure! He talks up a storm, has many two word "sentences" and said his first three-word sentence this week -- "I see you!" when playing peekaboo. And he started not wanting to go to sleep at night :rolleyes: We had to use CIO again if you can imagine. Worked though thank goodness.

We have been basically following a lot of what TGal mentioned in her post. He is not quite ready for choices, but I still offer them sometimes. And we pick our battles because if we say "No" to something then we force ourselves to follow through no matter how annoying the consequence. A couple times I have been sorry that I set a limit or a rule because then I had to follow through 8) but we are making ourselves do it.

We have not used a time out yet, as so far our methods below seem to work pretty well:

1) Always get down to his level and make eye contact when I am speaking to him about a "no" or a rule
2) Never ever give him what he wants when he screams and whines and tantrums. We make him ask using his words if it is something acceptable to have. If he wants something he cannot have, we just let him writh around and cry and try not to really bug him much while he does it.
3) Avoid positive reinforcement for any bad behaviour at all costs. We help each other see when we might inadvertently be doing this one.
4) His sleep times are sacred and he always goes to bed at the same time and napes in his bed at the same time, no matter what (except ewhen travelling and it is harder). Sleep = more manageable kiddo.

Sometimes the tantrum thing can be complicated when he will transition from tantrum to trying to calm down, and when he is in the latter stage sometimes he likes to come have a hug to help him calm down. So far we are trying to make him come semi-calmly away from his tantrum before giving him that hug, and we will talk about something else as we hug him or do some other activity while we hug him, but I am not totally sure on this one... we don't want the hugs to be a reward for a tantrum, but on the other hand learning emotional regulation is hard and if he needs a little physical contact to accomplish it, is that bad? Not sure...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiery Hunter has really wide feet too! He often likes the walk on his toes, and skip, and gallop. Funny walks are his thing. I think it is normal. Wide feet run in our family, so I am not surprised. There is a brand of shoe called "Jack and Lily" that is great for wide feet.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1289851801|2767013 said:
Hunter is now 21 months and he is in the thick of the "fun times" for sure! He talks up a storm, has many two word "sentences" and said his first three-word sentence this week -- "I see you!" when playing peekaboo. And he started not wanting to go to sleep at night :rolleyes: We had to use CIO again if you can imagine. Worked though thank goodness.

We have been basically following a lot of what TGal mentioned in her post. He is not quite ready for choices, but I still offer them sometimes. And we pick our battles because if we say "No" to something then we force ourselves to follow through no matter how annoying the consequence. A couple times I have been sorry that I set a limit or a rule because then I had to follow through 8) but we are making ourselves do it.

We have not used a time out yet, as so far our methods below seem to work pretty well:

1) Always get down to his level and make eye contact when I am speaking to him about a "no" or a rule
2) Never ever give him what he wants when he screams and whines and tantrums. We make him ask using his words if it is something acceptable to have. If he wants something he cannot have, we just let him writh around and cry and try not to really bug him much while he does it.
3) Avoid positive reinforcement for any bad behaviour at all costs. We help each other see when we might inadvertently be doing this one.
4) His sleep times are sacred and he always goes to bed at the same time and napes in his bed at the same time, no matter what (except ewhen travelling and it is harder). Sleep = more manageable kiddo.

Sometimes the tantrum thing can be complicated when he will transition from tantrum to trying to calm down, and when he is in the latter stage sometimes he likes to come have a hug to help him calm down. So far we are trying to make him come semi-calmly away from his tantrum before giving him that hug, and we will talk about something else as we hug him or do some other activity while we hug him, but I am not totally sure on this one... we don't want the hugs to be a reward for a tantrum, but on the other hand learning emotional regulation is hard and if he needs a little physical contact to accomplish it, is that bad? Not sure...

Dreamer, if I start to see some effort on the coming down of an emotional outburst, I'm OK with giving a hug to Amelia. We haven't had an issue with it. But we do make her look us in the eye and confirm she is on the downslope before giving her that hug. I've been there having a crazy clinging tantrumy toddler and I am not OK with freakish screaming human calf glue. But sometimes a hug is all they need to make their way down to level ground. I give a hug and move on.

Funny about the eye contact thing. I always make sure we have eye contact too. Not sure why though...I guess I want look her in the eye and see if things register. Now when she speaks to me, she'll sometimes cup my chin and get me to look her square in the eye. Fun times. ::)

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
hi mamas!! just wanted to pop in and say hi. been so busy lately with the boys i have had no PS time.

anyways, i was posting because i had to share my excitement! had a gender scan today at 17w5d and baby is a GIRL!!! after my 2 boys, who i love dearly and adore to death, i was dying for a little girl. DH and i are over the moon. and she looked so adorable although i am a bit biased.

i will try harder to keep up with the thread. off to give the boys their bath before bed.

take care mommies!!! hope all the kids are doing well also!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS Puffy! I'm thrilled for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1289878273|2767698 said:
CONGRATS Puffy! I'm thrilled for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yippee! I am thrilled too!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
congrats Puffy--she will be one lucky little lady with two awesome big brothers and super mom!

lili

Ideal_Rock
Aww....congrats Puffy.
I'm so happy for you and your boys!
She'll definitely be spoiled by everyone.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
puffy, congrats on your girl!! I am thrilled for you too! how wonderful!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Puffy! How fun!

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
thanks mommies!!

so birthday planning has officially begun. DH's bday is in 2 weeks and so is B's then we have N's bday in 1 month. december is a very busy month. all my boys' bdays and the holidays. but it'll definitely be a fun month. and we're off to disneyworld right after B's bday and come back right before N's 1st bday. FUN!!!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone!! Hope you are all doing well!

Dreamer~Big congrats lady!!

Puffy~Yay for baby girl! So exciting!!

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Puffy congrats on a GIRL!!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Puffy, congrats on your girl!

So I met with T's daycare teacher (briefly) this morning. She said the only concern she has is that Tessa does not express her feelings. (Whaaat?) If a kid takes a toy away from you, for example, she will just let them and not tell them how she feels so the teacher is working with her on expressing her feelings using words. I was kinda shocked b/c passive is NOT one of the things I thought my girl was. If anything I expected HER to be the bully. Haha. Just goes to show you how different they are than at home. I have MADE the decision to put her in full time starting in August. It's the right thing to do. She will be almost 4 and as much as I will miss her, there will be less stress knowing she is taken care of for up to 12 hours a day.

I realized today I totally forgot T's doctor's appointment yesterday! I felt horrible when I called. Her 3 year shots are postponed for another week.

I am so tired today. My FB friends know about my latest MIL drama. I only got 7 hours of sleep (which is NOT enough for me) so I am hoping this pepsi I am drinking will perk me up for my class presentation tonight. Right now I can barely see straight. Can't believe the semester is almost over.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, congratulations PUFFY!!!!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya ladies!

Ok so I know it's been forever since I've posted as it took me ten minutes to remember my password! :errrr:

Been MIA due to work. Bleh meh feh me.

So first things first: HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to TESSA! :appl: :appl: :appl: Can't believe she's THREE!

Congrats to DREAMER! :appl: I figured you'd show up knocked up pretty soon when you started lurking/commenting on the TTC/preggo thread more! ;)) Now how old is Hunter? And how old will he be when Baby Dreamer shows up?

and CONGRATS to PUFFY! :appl: So excited for your little girl!

Such exciting news around here! Wish I was around to post more, but life is just busy right now, as I know it is for everyone. But I try to jump in and at least catch up around here.

AFM- We just had O's pictures taken, finally. He did surprisingly well. Other than that, he's just happily trucking along like toddlers do. We went through a few weeks of major crying ALL. THE. TIME (frustration, telling him no, temper tantrums) which is totally normal, I know. Luckily he seems back to his happy self after 2 weeks. I swear he is the easiest baby, I don't deserve it and I FEAR the karma that will slap me upside the head if I dare go for another! :o

Ok now that I've said that, he obviously will turn into a devil child to teach me a lesson.

What else? He's still super skinny, but he eats anything and everything, so I've stopped worrying about it. Still only has 4 teeth. Very scared of when all of those teeth are going to come in. At once? Eek.

Hope everyone is doing well. THANKSGIVING is next week, WHERE did the time go?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks China. I cannot believe I have a 3 year old either!

So we were studying attachment theory this week and the good news is Tessa is securely attached. It was interesting to learn the difference between secure and insecure attachment. T crying or being upset when I leave her is a sign of SECURE attachment so instead of feeling guilty or sad, I will feel proud that I have done my job well. Another sign, which T has and I am sure so do your children, is showing empathy to others.

Gotta finish a paper. Hope everyone is having a great day!!!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
puffy, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! So excited for you to finally have your little girl! Welcome to team pink!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need some mom sympathy!

Hunter has been sick one and off for like three weeks and in that time has only been able to go to daycare like 3 times! :errrr: Just your basical colds one after another, but I am exhausted all the time and he is clingly and maniacal and whining/crying all.the.time. I think maybe 50% is illness and the other half just toddlers.

GAD please let this phase pass before baby number two comes along or I might just run away and join the circus! It would be more relaxing ;))

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Awww poor Hunter and momma! When they have colds it's the worst! Make sure you don't get sick too. Having a cold while pregnant sucks.

Speaking of mom sympathy :cheeky:

I've been meaning to send you an email but don't know how to. It's FB related. I don't know how to be discreet without sounding like a weird stalker :cheeky:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
You've got my sympathy dreamer. When Amelia started daycare, she was sick every week for the first EIGHT weeks. I thought I was going to go crazy.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the sympathy.

I am also not having a good time this winter health wise. I have been sick back to back for almost 6 weeks now! Finally getting over my 3rd cold in a row. Knock wood is keeps, I cannot handle another illness.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
:devil:

babydogcrate.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
To clarify 8) HUnter loves to play in the dog crate and I thought pictures with the gate closed would be really cute. But the second I closed it he started crying! I snapped a picture before rescuing him. He was not traumatized :cheeky: still loves to play in it.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
HAHA Dreamer that photo is hilarious!! You and Blen have the funniest pictures. I love them!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good to hear dreamer, because for a second I thought you took my "cage" idea seriously!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, how did you all manage time outs with kids under 2 years? I think we might need something like that for Hunter, but am not sure what to do exactly. I know you all have talked about it before, but rehashing would be really helpful.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, how old is Hunter now? I started Time Outs with Amelia at 20 months and used a "cage."

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
shopping cart covers are on sale for $3 at BRU.com.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results