shape
carat
color
clarity

I color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maryam

Rough_Rock
Hello there,

I am looking at an I color SI1, ACA RB. I am worried that it will be too yellow, as I had never considered getting a stone below an H. What do you think? Should I worry?

Maryam

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
From the top you have no worries, unless you have fine tuned your eyes for diamond color. I just got my g/f an AGS ideal cut diamond pendant that is "I". It looks incredibly white from the top. Constant comments about how white it is from people. Many have not seen the beauty of an ideal. Now when I see it from the side (like when it flips on her neck, I can see a very slight tint). So the moral of the story, from the top you will probably look just fine (better than your average H for sure) and from the side you may notice. You have to decide if the side view warrants a lower color.

Maryam

Rough_Rock
Oh that is reassuring. The setting that I am getting will not raise the stone up so much - so I don't think that the sides will be so noticeable.

Maybe an I is good from a bang for the buck perspective. But still ACA or similar in order to get a good performing stone.

Thanks for advice.

mm

reena

Ideal_Rock
wonka, does this mean you proposed?!?!

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Hehehe...not yet.

She got her earrings and pendant, but not the ring. That is to come sometime in Oct-Dec.

I love her dearly and is the most wonderful girl I ever met. However, we have only been together 7 mos. right now, so I was sort of waiting it out just a bit to add a little more time. I know it sounds stupid, but I don't want the world to think we are nuts.

reena

Ideal_Rock
it doesnt sound stupid to me

and the holidays are a great time to get engaged!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/18/2004 11:03:41 AM wonka27 wrote:

Hehehe...not yet.

I know it sounds stupid, but I don't want the world to think we are nuts.----------------

Who cares what the world thinks! We were engaged within 7 months. And, you know how long our relationship has lasted. I say begin your life sooner rather than later.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
An "I" color is near colorless. I was with a jeweler who put in a white card GIA F color, G color, and I color. Three diamonds. Could not tell the color difference. Nor could my companion, nor could another unrelated person in the store. I asked the jeweler if he could tell the difference and he said after 26 years he can tell the difference but most people can't, and he cannot tell a color grade difference by looking at the face, but by looking at the side against white.

The Tiffany standard is down to I and VS2. I think it is a good standard.

There was one 'I' color stone that I looked at which had a slight color, but none of the other 20 something stones had any visible color. That stone was suspect.

my $.02

Maryam

Rough_Rock
Wow! That's impressive. Okay, I think I am just about there with this I stone. I only wish it were bigger!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I went with an "I" and couldn't be happier. My stone is a princess and over 3 cts, so I was told by several people on this forum that my stone would look yellow. There have been 2-3 times since I've had it that my stone has looked a little warm in color, but 99% of the time it's extremely white (and people ask all the time if my stone is a D/E/F in color!). Because you're getting a RB, you should have no problem!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
EDITTED TO ADD: PLEASE DO NOT USE MY PHOTOS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

This is my 2.28 ct. rb, which is I color (GIA). I can't see any yellow in it at all.

weddingring1.jpg

Maryam

Rough_Rock
Me neither (seeing yellow in your stone)! I think an I is a good move.............Although I am sad to do it. I am replacing a stolen ring which was a g color. But that's all we can afford right now. And a lot smaller than yours toooooooo.............Maybe I will win the lottery!

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, go with the "I" color.

I got her G studs, H ring, and I pendant...

...If I could do it again, I'd go I-J on the ring too to go bigger and would have held out longer on the studs for the lower color. I know now...and from here on out...diamonds will always be a minimum of H-I. Unless, I go for D...but that would be purist/perfectionist move just to say that is what she has!

Fire & Reena - thanks for the vote of confidence
1.gif
My original stance was for around our 1 yr anny. I've gradually pulled myself back due to the happiness of the situation (just like the house...I'm getting more and more antsy about getting going on it). I'm thinking it will be an end of October engagement (because I have something cookin for Halloween...one of her most fav. holidays!)

Todd07

Shiny_Rock

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
If you're sensitive to color, you may want to try to find an I with blue fluorescence. It will help the stone look whiter in any lighting that has UV (like sunlight)
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/18/2004 7:18:53 PM Ricardo07 wrote:

I've probably read 1000+ posts here and all the color threads focus on whether someone can even notice the different color grades.
----------------

Can you !?

Even by definition these grades are only supposed to be identifiable in special condition, by trained staff and against reference stones. It doesn't help either that training does make a huge difference to what one sees and that those grading conditions ( face down position, white background, special lighting and observation up close among the conditions) have nothing to do with the actual jewelry use of diamonds.

Well, I don't hear about this very often, given that prices are based on the grades anyway. But it is a worthy reminder, IMO.

I wish I had better info on how the standard color and clarity grades were developed. In the meantime, I am not their greatest fan
sick.gif
as you can probably see. But grades do make the price, so regardless of whether they have much or any visual impact, they are important as they come
sad.gif

read.gif
Do you know of some record of how the color and clarity grades were made? I pretty much know they were supposed to both help disclosure (which happened) and help make diamonds into investment goods (which didn't happen)... but I would gladly use better reference on this.

rachelle

Rough_Rock
my husband made that mistake with an I stone and put it in white gold it makes it look slightly yellow, but if you are putting it in yellow gold you cannot tell the difference. my husband says hi and what is taking you so long? He proposed to me after knowing me 1 month and we were married less then 2 months later. We could not be happier and it has been three years! And yes everyone thought we were crazy but that could have been because he was 27 and i had just turned 19. Have fun I hope she says yes!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The cut will have a lot of effect on how white or yellow it can look. I have an I/VS1 OEC and it's beautiful white and fire from the top but visible yellow from the side. I suspect it has fluorescence.

Be sure to look at the diamond with a critical eye in several lighting situations to be sure you really like it. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's larger diamonds magnify color, or maybe there are some dishonest graders out there. But I know I've seen some appraised G, H, & I well-cut stones that look just dirty white in certain lighting. I don't know how to describe it, but the diamond is essentially white, looks fine in the store, but it has some objectional trace undertones of brown, dirty yellow, or gray. I can almost never pick that up under jewelry store lighting, but I certainly can in daylight or by ordinary clear glass incandescent bulbs. J and beyond all look yellow to me.

Those subtle off-white-tints can really annoy if you are sensitive to them. You might have a hard time finding an exact diamond tint match for a semi-mount or anniversary band. Then again, you can use some colored gems like ruby, emerald, or sapphire for an optical illusion effect that whitens up a tinted main diamond, as well as choose whether while or yellow gold or platimun looks best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results