shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on the backpack harness?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Ooo Dreamer thanks for reminding me! I've been wanting to see Babies for 2 years now! I didn't get a chance to catch it in the theater. I think I'll rent it this weekend if it's out :)

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: Tacori that picture is too funny!

Before I was a mom I was opposed to the harnesses - too much like a dog on a leash. Now, I have a....spirited....2 year old that can run faster than me and fit in places that I cannot. For now we are still using a stroller for outings but I am no longer opposed to getting a harness if necessary.

When James was itty bitty we had a Baby Bjorn that we used when he was inconsolable - which was for about an hour every night. I don't think we ever used it out of the house though.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
meresal said:
Pandora said:
Could I ask why people see them as negative or as a sign of neglect?

Here I don't know anyone who doesn't use one - it's like having a stroller or a crib... as soon as they can walk you put them in reins.

I'd see not doing it and letting them run around as far more neglectful - especially if you have more than one child it's impossible to always control where they are going or keep them safe.

Pandora, I'm not sure how long the strap is on the newer models... but the ones that I have seen before, have a strap that is very long, making it a "road hazard" to other people walking around you.

If the strap is only a foot or two in order to keep the child close without having to hold their hand, then I am all for it. However, if the kid can still run away, but in doing so leaves all other people walking around in danger of falling and tripping over the invisible strap... I am definitely NOT a fan.

I feel that as a parent you have to do things that make your life easier, but I am still very much aware of the hazards/annoyances that our "mom tools" can cause others innocent bystandards.

The main one I use has a strap that is about 2ft long - I add a dog lead to it that gives her about 5 feet but I reel it right in if we are around people or near roads or in shops. The short one is difficult for me because she is very short and I am tall and I can't hold it and stand upright. The animal backpack one is about 5 foot.

Daisy will not hold hands and is unfortunately very mobile at an age when she doesn't understand danger or what I am saying all the time. She also won't be carried for long and many of the places we go are not stroller-friendly. I don't have a car so we go everywhere by public transport which makes things harder.

I think it must be a cultural thing as Jennifer says as it's totally the norm here. My mother used to put 3 sets on me as I could get them undone and escape... :bigsmile:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just realised I have another one...

It's the Little Life Bee (super cute with a little built-in rainhat with antennae on) which is much to big for her at the moment - a present from Granny.

Here's a few harness pics:

This was at the farm - she wanted to go one way, I wanted to go another... :bigsmile:

I'm going MY way.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The monkey...

london zoo.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The hard-core one... accompaning 'I'm going to climb these steps myself and don't want to hold your hand!'

castle visiting wales.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Finally, I didn't manage to get her while still lying on the ground kicking and screaming, but this is a fairly common Daisy look:

what a lovely holiday.jpg

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Supercute photos! You both look fantastic, Pandora.

I love that Daisy is holding the leash. Amelia does that too - she gets that it needs to be held by someone, but hasn't grasped that the ideal would be someone who isn't her...

I'm unable to carry her for more than a few minutes, as I had a spinal fracture a few years ago, but for as long as she's happy with the leash, then I'm all for it. I'm more worried about how we'll wean her off it, since she insists on having it on every time we go out, along with a certain jacket, regardless of the actual weather. Hmm.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I swear Pandora, sometimes you and Daisy look straight out of a magazine. Love the photos!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fiery said:
I swear Pandora, sometimes you and Daisy look straight out of a magazine. Love the photos!

Oh my goodness, I totally agree! Pandora, you're so lovely and Daisy is absolutely adorable!

Tacori, your pic of your LO is priceless!! She's soooo cute!! The monkey almost seems to be saying "How did I get involved in all this?" And think of all the fun you'll have whipping this one out when she's a teen-ager!

Thanks for the pics ladies, you made an old(er) lady's day!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
:oops: Thanks for the comments... you're all very sweet (and should see the ones that DH deleted :bigsmile: )

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora, those are great photos! You have quite the collection of harnesses!

junebug, I am glad people appreciate my sense of humor. :lol: I plan on showing her all of these photos one day when she claims I am being unreasonable.

meresal, no one has been injured by my use of a baby harness...well, maybe their ears when she throws a tantrum but people need to toughen up anyways ;))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not opposed to them at all. Whatever keeps your kid near you and not lost is fine by me. I thought we'd get one, but so far, Amelia has not needed it. She didn't want to hold my hand either, but I forced the issue when she was younger (I've carried her over my shoulder more than once and just said we were going back home). Now she's great about it...not happy, but will easily hold hands.

But all it takes is a split second for a kid to disappear from sight. And no matter what a great mom you are, every mom potentially can take her eyes off the kid for a split second. What other people think of a leash doesn't hold a candle to the panic that you feel when you turn around and can't spot your kid right away.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen that movie but heard about it DD, and I love that it shows how different everyone is and what is 'acceptable' differs all over the world. Personally I kind of think that a kid whose primary toys are other beings such as a goat, or exploring mother nature are probably a bit more creative than most of the US kids who have 500000 $10 toys to stimulate imagination. But that's just my own take. :naughty: I am not willing to move to the country to give J a goat as his toy. :bigsmile:

Tacori that pic is PRICELESS. I also found the expression on her face so funny.

And I want to leash J in the HOUSE and he's only 7mo. Yikes.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara said:
I haven't seen that movie but heard about it DD, and I love that it shows how different everyone is and what is 'acceptable' differs all over the world. Personally I kind of think that a kid whose primary toys are other beings such as a goat, or exploring mother nature are probably a bit more creative than most of the US kids who have 500000 $10 toys to stimulate imagination. But that's just my own take. :naughty: I am not willing to move to the country to give J a goat as his toy. :bigsmile:

Tacori that pic is PRICELESS. I also found the expression on her face so funny.

And I want to leash J in the HOUSE and he's only 7mo. Yikes.

Wait until he's 2 Mara. There are some days I want to just LEAVE her in the house and run out!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think they're a good idea, but my husband is 100 percent against them. I'm hoping he'll change his mind soon. Henry wants to walk everywhere, and he's getting more and more resistant to being held in large crowds when he's in a walking mood. He's also too young to understand that he needs to hold our hand.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Totally going to BRU this morning to buy one. Romeo won't sit in his stoller anymore unless there is an unhealthy snack-bribe, and he insists on careening down the sidewalk by himself. (((stomach in knots)))

I say BALLS to those who turn up their nose at these harness leashes. Not their kid, not their call :twisted:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results