shape
carat
color
clarity

2.5 ct old mine cut ring...how much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bri1

Rough_Rock
HI. I recently found an antique ring EGL certified Old mine cut square...2.552 cts SI11, I, 9.32X8.82X 3.95mm. How much is too much?? It has two small side stones on each side and is set in platinum. Dealer said it is from 1910. I love it but was told it is a good buy at $20,000. HElp...please.
confused.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
did you happen to see that ring at doyle & doyle in NYC?

bri1

Rough_Rock
no, at a small estate jewelry store out west...what do you know and think of the price???? I guess you can figure that I really don't know much about mine cut diamond worth.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i don't know much either. just sounded similar to something i'd seen.

check out www.doyledoyle.com, they're an antique store in NYC (and therefore probably overpriced), but you can compare their prices on OMCs and OECs just to get a vague idea.

i saw a 3.46c old english cut ring there the other day, L/M color, SI1/2 clarity, set in platinum with two baguettes, and it was also $20k. but, it was obv a much lower color and clarity (i could see lots of inclusions with my nakes eye) and its cert wasn't as good (i think it was IGI?).

if you love it, have it appraised?

bri1

Rough_Rock
Dealer wouldn't let me have it to have appraised unless I agreed to purchase. Return policy is store credit only...too much for a gamble but I love the ring.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That is an OUTRAGEOUS price in my opinion. outrageous.

bri1

Rough_Rock
Thanks...I guess I was leary also which is why I am here asking for assistance. :( I do love the mine cut diamonds.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hey- I have a question- I thought that true antique 'cushions' were old mine cuts? Sorry if that's dumb!

But don't get sad... you can totally find one somewhere...but through a good vendor and NOT for that crazy price. TOTAL rip off and a risky proposition...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Does it have any provenance - and/or of being a royal assher?

If not, perposerious enters my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results