shape
carat
color
clarity

Every parent has their moments

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Hello all! :wavey:

I just read this article in our newspaper today and wanted to share with you. I am not a Mum yet, but I think it's great that other Mum's out there admit to not being perfect all the time and their kids turned out fine. :naughty:

As for my Mum, I fell off a toybox and landed on a barbie umbrella! Mum had to take me to emergency with a barbie umbrella hanging out of my head. We can all laugh about it now - there is nothing wrong with me.

So just wanted to share this funny and cringe worthy article.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ ... pic=819740

ETA - I just wanted to ensure you all that I don't find the idea of any child getting hurt is funny. I meant that it was a lighthearted look at the little things parents do that accidently hurt their kids. Didn't want you all thinking I am some sort of sadist that finds it entertaining when someone is hurt.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I couldn't see the article Honey but your story immediately reminded me of when kaitlin was about 16 months and we were getting out of the bath.
I wrapped her up in her towel really tight (arms wrapped up too like a bug in a coocoon) when she slipped and fell face first onto the slate steps. She hit her front tooth and split it all the way up in to the root. :knockout: She even took a chip out of the slate!

We took a trip to the childrens hospital and she had to be sedated while they removed her front tooth. The poor thing, i felt soooooo bad because it was my fault since i had wrapped her arms up and she couldn't stop herself from falling. Never did that again!

About 1.5 years later she was throwing a tantrum and ran into her room, she caught her foot under the rug and fell face first into the side of her bed on the metal frame where she ripped her gum all the way to the top of her mouth. Another trip to the childrens hospital where she had to be put under again to have it all stitched up.

We had to go for a follow up visit a few weeks later and they kept asking kaitlin what/how it happened. It wasn't until then that i realised they thought i had done this to her! I am pretty sure PMH has a child abuse file on me somewhere. Truth is she is very top heavy and a little clumsy, that head of hers was always getting in the way! :halo:

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree said:
I couldn't see the article Honey but your story immediately reminded me of when kaitlin was about 16 months and we were getting out of the bath.
I wrapped her up in her towel really tight (arms wrapped up too like a bug in a coocoon) when she slipped and fell face first onto the slate steps. She hit her front tooth and split it all the way up in to the root. :knockout: She even took a chip out of the slate!

OMG I would have died. I am so deathly terrified of stuff like this, my poor kid is going to be a whiner when he does finally hurt himself because I will do everything to prevent it instead of letting him live :rolleyes: Your poor baby! Thank goodness it was just a baby tooth.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Oh HOT, how awful it would have been. I am not even a Mum yet but I am already worried that I am going to mess the poor thing up or let it get hurt :errrr: I know accidents do happen but it must make you feel so terrible I couldn't even imagine. I even cried when I cut my puppies nails and she really screamed at me. There was no blood or anything, I think it just gave me a fright, but I remember saying to DH that how on earth could I have a child if I hurt a puppie?! :((

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I was a clutzy child (and still am!) and broke my arm twice growing up. Once in the third grade and once in the fourth grade. When my parents took me to the ER the second time the docs wouldn't let my parents in the room with me because they were being investigated for child abuse since the second break happened less than one year from the first :???: I went into shock the second time and wasn't able to answer any of the questions that the doc had for me about how it happened.

For the record, the first time I slipped on ice and fell off of our front porch and twisted my arm nearly all the way around and the second time I got tied up in the dog's chain while eating a fresh, homemade chocolate chip cookie while playing house on rollerskates.

The worst thing that my son has done is one time he was horsing around on our couch and fell backwards off of it and hit his head on the floor. We have hardwood floors and while we had an area rug at the time he hit with a huge clunk. DH wasn't able to catch him in time. DS' eyes rolled back into his head for a second but then he started wailing. We immediately called MIL, who is a nurse, and she gave us some advice. Luckily DS is fine but we are so so careful with him playing on the couch now.

Another time DH's aunt was watching DS (as she normally does) and he was running around in footed jammies, slipped on her tile floor and face planted into the toilet. He had a bloody lip and a black eye. DH's aunt felt so bad about it and even called DH crying hysterically because she thought we'd blame her and not let her was DS ever again.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG I can't read any more stories, I am so freaked out thinking about what is going to happen to J as he gets older after reading these...!!! I am crazy clumsy still so hopefully he didn't get that from me.

You poor Mommas!!! and Poor babies!!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Nothing bloody with stitches but my husband put our son up on his shoulders and then walked through a doorway whacking little Jr's forehead. Ooops! Sorrry.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie said:
hawaiianorangetree said:

OMG I would have died. I am so deathly terrified of stuff like this, my poor kid is going to be a whiner when he does finally hurt himself because I will do everything to prevent it instead of letting him live :rolleyes: Your poor baby! Thank goodness it was just a baby tooth.

Yeah, i'm not too bad with most stuff but anything to do with the mouth/teeth makes my stomach flip. I still get the shivers when i think about her tooth being split right through. Lucky it was only a baby tooth, it took about 7 years for the big one to come through on its own. That was a long time without a front tooth!!

Honey, kids are pretty tough you know! I'm sure you wont hurt them too much ;)) KT has never really had an accident since, and judging by how clumsy she is it is quite the achievment! I am actually suprised that there have been no broken bones yet. *touch wood*

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
hmmm.
I got stuck in a toilet once. No Really. I did.

My sister fell off a trampoline and broke her arm. She also fell out of a tree and busted the back of her head open. My mom dropped her on a car door when she was one (she was a wiggler). She broke her wrist once, broke her ankle once.

I'm telling you guys, I was the uninteresting child. My sister was the wild child.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I can't see the article either

anyway my addition my sister dropped me on head - didn't tell my mum for like a week until my head wasn't able to be supported and started to hang to the side I also developed some kinda of horrible scabbing around my neck - rounds of physio did the job as my sisters punishment she had to be in the room with me holding me down.

Apparently I turned out all right :razz: though when I do something stupid I use this as an excuse :razz:

I also nearly fell down a mountain side while hiking into rapids cause I hit my head on a sign and fell backwards because I was to busy looking at the pretty gems I just found :roll: my mum being smart woman she was preempted something like this and made me go in the middle - good thing or otherwise it would have been worse then a few scrapes and cuts.

Kids and babies are pretty resilient at the end of the day they get into scraps but I think the parents hurt more then the kiddies (with worry that is)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When London was about 18 mo she was running in my parents house and tripped over a rug on the floor and fell into an end table. A heavy wooden octagonal end table w/those sharp corners. It didn't split her open but the line on her face where she hit was so dark it looked black under the skin, like it split from the inside toward the outside and stopped just short.

When Trapper was..I forget, but he was crawling, I was on the computer looking at rings and JD had gone downstairs to get ready for work. London was going down after him or something and anyway, the door was left open. It was one of those moments where you think "Wait, is that open?" in one split second you hear the first thumpthump of the kid rolling down the stairs. I screamed his name as I was flying up from the computer desk, and the next thing I knew I was at the bottom of the stairs. I called Dr to see what to do, trying not to be hysterical. There's a wooden ledge towards the bottom of the steps and he hit that with his head. Had some scrapes on the top of his head..how he ended up w/nothing split open or broken I don't know. It was evening, and Dr. said to wake him up periodically during the night and make sure he was ok. Mom came in to spend the night just in case, but he woke up like normal to nurse and was fine after that.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
These stories are crazy! Kids really do bounce!

My younger sister was the one who always getting the crap beat out of her. We joke my older sister must have been plotting to kill her since she had all these accidents involing her.
When she was about 2, we were playing near the boat trailer and my older sister was cranking the winder that pulls the boat onto the trailer. My sister put her finger into the crank and her finger turned into ground meat. We were at our family vacation home out in the middle of nowhere, my dad was out on the boat, so my mom had to flag him and my uncle down to find out how to get her to the hospital! To this day her finger is smaller and mishapen.
Then a few years later, we were getting ready to go putt putt and out for ice cream when my older sister comes screaming into the house that my younger sister's head was bleeding. She was practicing her baseball swing with her new aluminium bat and accidentally struck my sister. We had to call the ambulance on that one. She got 5 stitches to her head.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
When my sister was feeding my nephew his first cereal she poked him in the eye with the spoon. We have it on camera. At the exact moment that the little spoon touches his closed eyelid. It was hilarious. He was fine, he closed his eye in time, and just kind of looked at her like, MA! What the heck!?!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a wonder our parents survive with what we put them through. The worse (or strangest) one was our mom dropped us off at a playground along with our cousins, and my mom and aunt went grocery shopping. I'm assuming they did this alot but never got caught because there were always lots of other moms and kids there. My sister and older brother kept spinning around on one of those tire swings that's hanging by 3 chains connected to a big bolt. My older brother gets off because he feels dizzy, and the next thing my sister knows is she's on the ground. She gets up and starts walking up to us, and that's when we all start screaming. She literally looked like Carrie in the blood scene. She doesn't remember this happening but apparently the bolt unscrewed and fell on her head. They couldn't find our parents so another mom took her to the hospital to get stitches. So both embarrassing and scary for my mom. Definitely the age before the lawyers. All my parents wanted was to be reinbursed for the hospital bill and they didn't pay that, and refused to remove the swings even though they admitted there was at least one other accident involving them :-o .

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The worse one I've heard about is a friend of my MIL who was swing her new baby grandchild in a swing. The baby was so little and top heavy the baby flew out of the swing and landed on it's head. It was pretty serious injury but the baby survived. I don't know how horrible I'd feel if that happened to me.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've been really lucky with DD, she's remarkably injure-proof considering what a daredevil she is. When she was an infant, I laid her on the sofa and got engrossed in whatever show was on TV, then I heard her wailing. Well, she had rolled right off the couch and under the coffee table, lol. Not injured, but I felt like crapola.

Another time she crawled under the dining room table with the dogs (she was 3 or 4 at the time), who adore her and have never even looked at her funny (biggest danger is that they'll lick her to death) and all of a sudden I hear our rottie mix (80 pound fella) snarl and she's crying hysterically. She had tooth marks on one cheek and the other temple. I later figured out that she had sat on the dog, and the dog thought she was the new puppy, so he turned back and chomped in doggie play fashion, but when he realized his mistake he let go. We've always been so diligent about DD and the dogs, so careful, but in that brief moment when we let our guard down, she could have been seriously injured or worse. That was so scary. She was fine, the teeth didn't break the skin or anything, but our rottie basically had her whole face in his mouth! I want to faint just thinking about it...I think he was just as traumatized as she was, he spent the next 24 hours following her around the house, laying next to her, sleeping next to her bed.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Once on a plane, I was flying alone with my then 4 month old. I was struggling with her, the car seat, our bags, AND to top it all off, the flight attendant made me take off the snuggly I was holding her in. Needless to say, it was tricky to navigate with no help. As I was struggling to heave the luggage into the overhead compartment, CRACK, I bonked her tiny head right into the ceiling and the entire plane gasped. She wasn't the slightest bit fazed and actually continued looking around and chewing her pacifier. But for the entire flight I was in tears. I was horrified. HORRIFIED! I just knew everyone was sitting there thinking "That poor baby, just look at her incompetent mother..."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results