shape
carat
color
clarity

Recutting a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcc

Rough_Rock
Quick Question. I was reading the homepage for Sarin Technologies. One of the tutorials actually talked about recutting a diamond from an AGS 3 down to an AGS 0. The Sarin can actually tell a cutter how to create an AGS 0 from an AGS 3 grade? Obviously the stone will loose some weight, but if that is true, why aren''t all diamonds recut to AGS 0?

Just wondering..........
loopy.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds are sold by carat weight. Even if a stone is not cut as beautifully, it will still bring more money to the cutter because it's heavier.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/18/2004 9:39:43 PM kcc wrote:

Quick Question. I was reading the homepage for Sarin Technologies. One of the tutorials actually talked about recutting a diamond from an AGS 3 down to an AGS 0. The Sarin can actually tell a cutter how to create an AGS 0 from an AGS 3 grade? Obviously the stone will loose some weight, but if that is true, why aren't all diamonds recut to AGS 0?

Just wondering..........
loopy.gif
----------------

Kcc
the reasons are: weight lost,money,time.

here's an example: lets say a jeweler has a poorly cut 1.02 ct stone and he decide to have it recut to ags 0 specs .now the stone comes back .95 ct the killer here is not about losing .07 ct, but this dip below the magical 1 ct price range. then the stone has to be recertified costing extra money. mean while, the jeweler can not sell the stone. so that's costing him time,unless he brought the stone really cheap then maybe is worth having it recut. i had a stone recut and it lost 22% of it's weight. it went from a 1.47 ct to a 1.15 ct. but since i'm not in the business, it didn't bother me .

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I'm having a stone recut. The bottom line? Cost. I'll be paying for a .59ct stone, but will only have a .48 to show for it. Not many people are willing to do that. And lots of people buy poorly cut stones because they either don't know any better or don't care. So as long as that works, it's where the bigger profits lie.

It's a pity, of course...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A modern cut round diamond is never worth more than what it would be worth recut to an ideal cut. If a jeweler had a poorly cut 1.07, as the example given above, it would NEVER recut to .95ct. It would recut to .85 or less. A decently cut 1.07 might recut to 1.00 or .95, but not a poorly cut one....most of the time.

Regardless, of the magical 1 carat weight, a poorly cut diamond weighing 1.00ct will not be worth more than the .80ct diamond hiding inside it. However, because of impulsive buyng, uninformed consumers and jewelers who want to sell rather than give good advice, the 1.00ct poorly cut diamond will outsell the ideal cut .80ct one. This is a commercial fact of life. Size matters to more consumers than cut quality. They may be less well informed than those on PS, but they are probably in the majority.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/19/2004 12:00:08 PM oldminer wrote:

A modern cut round diamond is never worth more than what it would be worth recut to an ideal cut. If a jeweler had a poorly cut 1.07, as the example given above, it would NEVER recut to .95ct. It would recut to .85 or less. A decently cut 1.07 might recut to 1.00 or .95, but not a poorly cut one....most of the time.

Regardless, of the magical 1 carat weight, a poorly cut diamond weighing 1.00ct will not be worth more than the .80ct diamond hiding inside it. However, because of impulsive buyng, uninformed consumers and jewelers who want to sell rather than give good advice, the 1.00ct poorly cut diamond will outsell the ideal cut .80ct one. This is a commercial fact of life. Size matters to more consumers than cut quality. They may be less well informed than those on PS, but they are probably in the majority.
----------------

hi dave,
your example above sounds like what happened to my stone, losing about 22% of its weight after the recut. mine was a 60/60 stone, so i dunno if that is considered poorly cut. your example would go down 2 price ranges from 107 ct to a .85 ct. that's a lot of dollar difference per ct.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results