shape
carat
color
clarity

Shower guest etiquette question

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to get a couple opinions on this situation, I think I know how I going to handle it, but I just wanted to see what everyone thought.

I had my shower/bachelorette party on the same weekend in the town I was living in last year. Before I left that area about 9 months ago, me and one of the residents were hanging out a lot, but we have not spoken much since I left just because we are so busy. I didn't invite her to the shower or wedding because we had not spoken in so long, and I thought she would be on the east coast. But I forgot that in the beginning of residency she went on maternity leave and is now extended a few months.

When the bachelorette invites went out the maid of honor (who is not married and may not know the etiquette) put on the invite "feel free to invite others." Well one of my good friends is friends with the resident and invited her to the bachelorette party, but she could not come because she was on night shifts. So she invited her to the shower. I was uncomfortable with that, but she had already been asked so I said OK. She literally just stopped by in the last half hour of the shower (which I was fine with because I knew she was working 13 hour night shifts and needed to sleep), had a couple bites of food, and did not bring a present. She said she just wanted to see my while I am in town.

The problem is that our guest list is over the amount we set. So far, I have half the RSVP's from my Fiance's side, and they are all accepts. I just had to put the "hammer" down on his side about the single people bringing "guests."

So my question is do I invite this girl to the wedding? I am honestly just thinking of asking her informally if she could come, but my guess is that she won't be able to. As I said, I just wanted to see what people thought about this.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, asking if she can come is tantamount to inviting her, in my book.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's fine if you don't invite her. She was invited by a friend to the shower so not an official invitee and you aren't that close. She just said she wanted to see you so it's great she was able to do that. I wouldn't worry about inviting her personally.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
nkarma said:
I think it's fine if you don't invite her. She was invited by a friend to the shower so not an official invitee and you aren't that close. She just said she wanted to see you so it's great she was able to do that. I wouldn't worry about inviting her personally.

i agree. i've been to showers before where i haven't been invited to the wedding. either work friends or, like in this situation, came as a sort of +1 to a friend of a friends shower.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I am keeping my mouth shut. She will have a lot going on around the time of my wedding, and I don't want her to feel bad about not being able to come.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results