shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell Me What You Think of This Rock, Puh-lease

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Zeppelin

Rough_Rock
Stone Details
Shape BR

Color Grade J

Clarity Grade VVS2

Weight 1.018

Measurments 6.52 - 6.55 x 3.95 mm
Proportions
Depth 60.4%

Table 56%

Girdle 0.7-1.4

Culet PT

Crown Angle 34.100

Pavilion Angle 40.800
Finish
Polish IDEAL

Symmetry IDEAL

Fluorescence I

diamond1.jpg

diamond2.jpg

diamond3.jpg

diamond4.jpg

lenhejo

Rough_Rock
I am not too crazy about the color/clarity combination. Why don't you go with an F or G VS2. The difference between the VS2 and VVS2 can not be detected by the naked eye.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I agree...you can give up quite a bit moving down from VVS2 without ever noticing it. You could move down in color with the savings, or you can look for something bigger in a J, or just flat out save money.

Anyone care to comment, because I'm no expert, but do those hearts & arrows look really nice or am i just supid?

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
msbennie, I am to a lover of the J colored stones.....
love.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
You'd be surprised how many "J" lovers are out there. You can't go wrong with the price and quality...especially if it is ideal cut! As someone says on this board, why buy what you can't see!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I don't know much about rounds...but it looks lovely! I'm also not saying you shouldn't buy a J...but I wouldn't buy a vvs2 J. Since that one is in your budget, chances are an H vs2 will be also and that will most likely also be eye clean! Just a thought
1.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Zeppelin,

You WILL know that a J is NOT a D, it doesn't matter how excellent the cut is. The question is not whether the J will look like a D - it won't - but rather, will a J look yellowish to you, and if so, would that bother you? I suggest going to a store where you can look at one carat ideal cuts of different colors, and seeing what your tolerance level is.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I'm the owner of a 1.15ct J-VS1, and it isn't yellowish.
I'm also the owner of a 3.02 M-VS2, and I can see inclusions with the naked eye (but I have to search them).
So...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/10/2004 4:54:09 PM ChooChoo wrote:

Zeppelin,

You WILL know that a J is NOT a D, it doesn't matter how excellent the cut is. The question is not whether the J will look like a D - it won't - but rather, will a J look yellowish to you, and if so, would that bother you? I suggest going to a store where you can look at one carat ideal cuts of different colors, and seeing what your tolerance level is. ----------------
And this is one of the glories of diamonds, a J is NOT a D. I see many many people expressing the concept that D is good and anything LESS is not as good.

I would like to throw my hat into the ring and declare that D is the most expensive of the colors and that any thing ELSE is less expensive. While absence of color is more expensive, I would like to state that in my opinion color in itself is neither good or bad, it just is.

What is important in the distinction is that some people actually like/LOVE the warmer colors and much prefer them over the cooler colors. It is important to me that people not be made to feel as if they MUST buy the higher color if they can afford it, but rather that they MAY buy the higher color if they want it.

I will occassionally sell an H - I - J color Internally Flawless stone just because the concept of Flawless is a wonderful thing when used to represent the love and respect that a man has for the lady of his dreams. Just because the lady likes a warmer color does not mean that she will not also enjoy the concept of a Flawless diamond or even a VVS.

One question I frequently ask my clients is what colors does she wear? If she wears lots of blues and greens, (cool colors) then you may want to consider staying at an H or higher color. If she wears a lot of yellows and browns, then it might be that she prefers the warmer tones and would actually prefer a diamond in the I-J-K-L colors. This one is more difficult, because many women prefer the higher colors even though they wear a lot of the warmer colors. It is such a matter of personal taste and choice. Heck, some ladies just look BETTER with warmer colored diamonds.

The sad thing is that I have had many women sit here in my office and tell me that they like "that" stone better in blind "taste" tests, only to chose the stone that they did not like so well when they find out it is the higher color that they are "supposed" to like. I think it would be wonderful if we jewelers gave our clients permission to like any color that they like and quit pushing the more expensive colors as necessarily the best colors. For some they are, for some they aren't.

This is just my opinion of course. I would rather have an extremely well cut L-M-N-O-P color than a poorly cut D, it would be a prettier stone. To me, cutting is much more important than either color or clarity, but to others color is king and to others clarity. Heck, in some places size is king and no real thought is given to cut, color or clarity as long as the rock is at least five carats.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Wink

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
very well-said, Wink!
appl.gif

if i'd had double what i actually had to spend on an e-ring, i'd still have gotten my "J" stone, as it "speaks" to me - my fav diamonds are in the H-J range
1.gif

Zeppelin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the post, Wink. I agree with what you say about cut -- I am probably going to buy an Ideal H&A stone. I am just trying to figure out what my tolerances are for color and clarity. This stone is as low as I'd want to go in color, but I would still give up some on the clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results