shape
carat
color
clarity

will you work for minimum wage?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I would, and I do.

With a Masters' degree and 15 years teaching experience I made the choice (when faced with chronic health problems and the needs of two children) to leave my $50k/10 month position and now work 20 hours a week during the school year in my children's high school. I thank God and my husband every day for allowing me this option.

I am sorry for those who find themselves forced into positions beyond their choosing.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
missy said:
radiantquest said:
If it was minimum wage or nothing I most certainly would. I would not be willing to work my current job for minimum wage.

Ditto. I am not too proud to take any job that would help my family make ends meet. However, I would not work at my current job for minimum wage as it requires skill and experience and way too much mental and physical energy.

Ditto ditto.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RhubarbPie said:
PinkTower said:
RhubarbPie said:
I am getting a new classroom asst. this fall. She has a Master's, and was working at the movie theatre selling tickets. She will now be making $12.50/hour, no benefits, but it is a step up from selling movie tickets with a Master's. The teacher down the hall is also getting a new assistant w/a Master's degree.

Yikes - that sounds really rough. I'm actually also a teacher (but I am faculty at a university and I have a very specific area of expertise). I didn't work at a movie theater, but a theater for plays, etc. I didn't mind that job as it was just a desk job and convenient for my school schedule (all I did was talk on the phone - it didn't require a whole lot of brain power). But while I was doing that, I didn't have a master's degree, I was still in school. I'm not sure what classroom assistants do, but if they are teachers, I think it stinks that they will only be making 12.50 an hour.
these days....if she don't want the job then someone else will take it, Master's or no Master's.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I have worked minimum wage in past, so yes, I would, if I needed to or if I enjoyed the job (and was not hurting because of it).

However, I quite honestly would not be able to make ends meet right now on minimum wage (not with my student loan debt), and I would not work my current job for minimum wage (lawyer). If it was all that was out there, than I would have to do it of course but I find it hard to imagine that it would be my only alternative at this point.

My DH actually now works for a little above minimum wage, after taking early retirement from his $70,000/year job in the military. He enjoys the work, most of the time, as he is not interested in rushing back into a stressful career too soon. As he says, it is low stress, and while he would like to be paid more, he does enjoy how relatively laid back it is. And we are as a household doing alright with that. And he just got a $1.00/hour raise after two months of being there, ha ha. We also both know there is a capacity for him to choose to take another job for more if we needed to, he is not "forced" to work the minimum wage.

I think if one is relying on minimum wage to support a family though, they are going to be in trouble, as the cost of living really does not work out well for someone in that situation. It can become a bit of a never-ending cycle when that is the case....and I have seen many in that situation.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire said:
Trekkie said:
At least then you'll finally know what she earns...
all Ca. State workers will net about $800 after all the deductions.

Not a good situation, but at least once a budget is in place she will get back pay for all of the time she was paid this way. I know it stinks for paying bills and stuff, but it is only temporary :sick:

Hopefully they'll settle on a budget soon and this won't happen at all.

Would I work for minimum wage? If it was all I had and allowed me to at least pay some bills, yes. Would I go out and look for min wage before my other options didn't work (like a better paying job that takes my skills)? No. If I knew it was only temporary and I'd get the money I was owed in a short period of time? Yes.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I have worked for min wage while I was at school or uni, and I worked pretty bloody hard for it too. In one job I remember my boss having a rant at as that he wanted us to provide the same level of service here as the staff at a 5 star reastrant- all I could think is "well you get what you pay for."

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
You do what you have to.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results