shape
carat
color
clarity

Saw the man made diamonds on that TV show on Discovery channel

lasugar

Rough_Rock
Hi there

I was watching Unsolved History on the Hope diamond and on the show they showed that Florida company that makes the man made diamonds. They made a canary diamond from a tiny white diamond seed. And they had a jewelry expert examine it with some earth mined ones, they were all tested as real diamonds but the canary''''s color was too visid and he knew that one was the lab created diamond.

So whats really the different between a diamond grown in a lab and diamonds mined from the earth? is the structure exactly the same, except one is just dug from the ground?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LA,

The difference is that lab made diamonds are made in a lab and mined diamonds are mined. They all test as diamonds because they all are diamonds. (Note: there are lots of things being sold as ‘synthetic’ that are NOT diamonds and shoppers for synthetics should be cautious about fakes. They’re common).

The guys growing in Florida who are so good at getting the press coverage are Gemesis although they have several competitors elsewhere. There's a whole forum here for discussing manmade diamonds. Look at the menu at the top of the page under 'forums'.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

lasugar

Rough_Rock
Cool cool.

Yes they do seem like press whores, but hey it translates into sales.

Of course I knew the growing difference, but there has to be a difference in structure of these stones, or else why would people keep on buying these SUPER EXPENSIVE earth mined diamonds if we can grow them in labs now for 1/4 of the cost?

Like what is the best of the best of the lab grown diamonds, would it be Gemesis or another brand?

And why do we still go ga ga over earth mined diamonds? I only like earth mined, 100% untreated because thats the way we were soupoed to enjoy them. thats my view on why I love em''

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/15/2010 1:14:42 PM
Author: lasugar

Of course I knew the growing difference, but there has to be a difference in structure of these stones, or else why would people keep on buying these SUPER EXPENSIVE earth mined diamonds if we can grow them in labs now for 1/4 of the cost?
Actually synthetic diamonds aren't significantly cheaper than mined diamonds except in the case of exotic colors. The colorless stones that people think of when they think 'diamond' are about the same price either way. Why then do people buy synthetics if it's not to save money? Because they're COOL.
10.gif
Lots of people have a dirt diamond but only a very select few have one that someone actually MADE.

Why do people buy naturals? Because they're COOL.
30.gif
It a traditional symbol of love, made by God and made to last forever. What better symbol could there be? Not everyone is looking for the same things. It's a big world and there's room for lots of different taste.

I'm not down on Gemesis because they're good at managing the press. I dare say it would benefit me greatly if I was as good at it so, if anything, I'm just jealous.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

anni02b

Rough_Rock
Trade
Re: Saw the man made diamonds on that TV show on Discovery c

lasugar said:
Hi there

I was watching Unsolved History on the Hope diamond and on the show they showed that Florida company that makes the man made diamonds. They made a canary diamond from a tiny white diamond seed. And they had a jewelry expert examine it with some earth mined ones, they were all tested as real diamonds but the canary''''s color was too visid and he knew that one was the lab created diamond.

So whats really the different between a diamond grown in a lab and diamonds mined from the earth? is the structure exactly the same, except one is just dug from the ground?[

Are there any natural dimonds avaiable???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results