shape
carat
color
clarity

Last Mirena question... I swear!!!!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I swear this is it, last question!!!! Thank you in advance to all of you who have been so helpful and kind on these matters.

I got an IUD (Mirena) on 4/30/10 while on my period (I was on Yaz all of April and previously) and spotted for about 2 weeks after that. Since then I have not gotten my period, or even any mild spotting. I''m fairly light (~130lbs) and pretty sensitive to hormones so the logical side of me is just thinking that the hormones in the Mirena have stopped my period, but the paranoid side of me is worried about the obvious alternative. I''m just a bit concerned because most people I''ve talked to said they had a few mild periods before it stopping whereas I haven''t had one at all since the procedure.

Also I know they are effective immediately, but we abstained for the first 2 weeks until my checkup where they told me everything looked great.

Any ease for my troubled mind...?

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Hi Callisto
35.gif

I don''t have an answer as to why your body is doing what it''s doing (No period?! Girl, let a sleeping dog lay!!) but I will tell you what my OB told me. I got my Mirena about 1 1/2 years ago, and while I didn''t get lucky enough to go to straight no period, my cycle was all wonky and I had weird spotting.

I am anal retentive to the 1000th degree. I was panicking about not having a countable cycle and mentioned it to my gyno.

Ready for his answer?!

He looked at me and said (notice I am quoting here) "TBJumper, go out and buy about 5 hpt, keep them in a drawer and when you freak out; POAS. This will be much easier then you calling to wake me up in the middle of the night when you can''t sleep because you are worrying and you don''t need to be, I promise you won''t be preggo..." And I believe this was said with an eye roll.

Now you may not have that type of relationship with your health care provider but I just have that kinda convo with my OB all the time and he knows I am a total freak-out case that sometimes just needs to be told to calm down. I had never laughed so hard with my feet in stirrups
6.gif

In all seriousness, I believe the effective rate with the Mirena is better then any other BC options out there, and don''t quote me here but I think its even better then the "big snip" for your partner.
34.gif
While there is always a chance, the chance is *Very* low and it sounds like you did more then you needed to in terms of safety (waiting the 2 weeks).

If I were you I''d take a deep breath, and if you''re still worried POAS
9.gif

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Haha. For once in my life I actually wasn''t the first to be paranoid. I was all chill about it, figured my period was just wonky as well and SO made a comment about if I thought it was weird I hadn''t had my period at all. Ummm no.... I thought it was fine... but NOW I think it''s weird!!!!!!

I keep trying to remember how effective it is and that I''m being silly. Honestly, if I did find out I was pregnant I would take it in stride and accept that once again life has other plans for me, I would move on with my life. My paranoia is mainly just that if I was pregnant I would make some big diet changes and I''ll feel so guilty if I found out 3 months in and will think back on all the bad choices I made for those three months haha. Ugh maybe I will go get a HPT, but then I''ll have to sneak it past SO as he''ll get way more freaked out than necessary if he knows I''m taking one... oh life... why are you such a PITA some days.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just get a test! That way you''ll know you''re not pregnant and won''t fret in the future with you''re possibly irregular spotting.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Callisto, you are not alone, girlfriend.

I''m STILL paranoid with my Mirena, some 16 months post-insertion. TBJumpers OB is right: Get a handful of tests and keep them on hand. If you read the fine print on the Mirena website, it says that if you don''t have a period for 6 weeks, TEST to make sure you''re not pregnant. Chances are you aren''t, but the peace of mind is well worth the $4 for a cheapie preggo test (IMHO).

This is one reason I''m considering getting rid of Mirena in favor of another BC method... Not having a period is fabulous, except that I constantly worry about not having one
20.gif

So... GO TEST!

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 3:35:43 PM
Author: Callisto
Haha. For once in my life I actually wasn''t the first to be paranoid. I was all chill about it, figured my period was just wonky as well and SO made a comment about if I thought it was weird I hadn''t had my period at all. Ummm no.... I thought it was fine... but NOW I think it''s weird!!!!!!

I keep trying to remember how effective it is and that I''m being silly. Honestly, if I did find out I was pregnant I would take it in stride and accept that once again life has other plans for me, I would move on with my life. My paranoia is mainly just that if I was pregnant I would make some big diet changes and I''ll feel so guilty if I found out 3 months in and will think back on all the bad choices I made for those three months haha. Ugh maybe I will go get a HPT, but then I''ll have to sneak it past SO as he''ll get way more freaked out than necessary if he knows I''m taking one... oh life... why are you such a PITA some days.
Totally hear ya...my diet and drinking would smack me in the face if I found out I was unexpectedly preggers. As far as sneaking them in your house that makes me chuckle. I called my husband on the way home from having it put in and told him to go buy 5 HPT.

me: "Hunny can you stop at Walgreens and get about 3-5 preggo sticks?"
DH: "Whaaaa??
23.gif
I thought that is what you were preventing today?!"
me: "Oh I am, but Dr._____ said that to prevent waking him up, I should just POAS and keep a few in our bathroom"
HD: "ummmm ok.
33.gif
What brand do you want?"

BWWWAhhahhahhaaa. I am not sure whats funnier; my husband not asking why I would be waking my male dr up in the middle of the night, or actually asking what brand of HPT I wanted. hahaha

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 3:52:20 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
Callisto, you are not alone, girlfriend.

I''m STILL paranoid with my Mirena, some 16 months post-insertion. TBJumpers OB is right: Get a handful of tests and keep them on hand. If you read the fine print on the Mirena website, it says that if you don''t have a period for 6 weeks, TEST to make sure you''re not pregnant. Chances are you aren''t, but the peace of mind is well worth the $4 for a cheapie preggo test (IMHO).

This is one reason I''m considering getting rid of Mirena in favor of another BC method... Not having a period is fabulous, except that I constantly worry about not having one
20.gif

So... GO TEST!

Thanks. It''s nice to hear I''m not the only crazy paranoid one... I think once I get through the first 6 months or so with Mirena I''ll be more comfortable with it. Other than this little issue I LOVE it. It''s just this not knowing what to expect period...

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TBJumper. We''re not married at the moment and still pretty young so he still gets pretty freaked out if I mention a pregnancy scare. Children are in our future so it would just be a dramatic timeline change for us.

That''s cute about your DH though... my SO probably doesn''t even realize they come in different brands.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Man you''re lucky if you don''t have periods already! It''s taken me a year after insertion to get to that point, and I still get really light spotting about once a month to let me know that things are still working.

The POAS idea will probably be the best route. Now that I''ve had mine over a year I think I''m confrotable enough that it''s working, but I did wonder at the begining. It just seems too easy!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
my friend across the street has a mirena baby - so it''s not IMpossible... but the POAS idea is a good one :)

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had mine since January 2007. Inserted during my cycle and that was it. I haven''t had a period since. Every so often in that first year, I would take a test just to be sure. Now I don''t worry about it.

Also when I got mine, my doctor said to not do anything for about 48 hours, then I was good to go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results