shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Diamond on the AGA Cut Chart

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kavala14

Rough_Rock
I looked on the AGA chart and the princess cut I purchased is ranked on the 2A cut level. Is this below average, good, above average, excellent a steal? I paid $6700 for the princess cut.

1.4 carat
ratio 1.04 (6.41x6.14x4.29)
Depth 69.9%
table 73% (Just missed premium cut!!)
girdle medium to slightly thick
culet none
polish very good
symmetry good
Clarity VVS1
Flourescence none
Crown height ? (i know it falls in this range i will get the exact number)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Kavala...you need to take a deep breath! You are freakin out!
1.gif

First, it looks as though you've paid a good price for your stone.
Second, there is no ideal with princess cuts...Just b/c a stone happens to be a "2A" DOES NOT mean it will perform better than a 1A....
Unless your jeweler or someone can run a sarin, and Bscope etc, light scope...whatever....you will have no way of knowing by "formal" analysis how your stone performs.
However, that said, and a fair price being paid, do you think the stone is pretty???? I believe that if you've seen enough stones to be able to spot a super performer, you can trust your eyes to some extent. Do I think formal analysis is necessary? Dunno. I prefer it...But then I did manage to pick an amazing stone many moons ago without any analysis.
Go see the stone. If you like it, I think you can have it sent out for some formal analysis if you like. I know Researcher bought hers on whiteflash and had a BScope done by someone else...Maybe one of the pscope appraisers do this?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Can I make matters worse by asking why you've decided to go with an H but vvs1? Clarity is very expensive..but when eye clean there is no diff visually b/w a vvs1 and vs2...have you considered going down in clarity to a vs2 eye clean stone and a larger or colorless stone?
11.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....maybe you are paying better than a good price...that may be a great price...I can't find anything cheaper...

This one is smaller and only a vs2...but figured I'd post it...

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-715346.htm

kavala14

Rough_Rock
They did not have many princess cut stones in the range of depth and table % I was looking for. This was the best and had VVS1 clarity. So you are saying a VS1 and go with a bigger stone and better color would have been better? I am dizzy... they had a 1.57 but the dimensions and a color of I or J was too noticeable. Yes I am happy with my selection it was best all around princess for price and specs and size. I took the stone outside and compared to a clarity 1.13 carat princess with an IF clarity and it looked really good and good sparkle. I must say the IF was also very nice under the normal daylight sun, but not enough to convince me, a littel too small. But the 1.4 was a great deal!

kavala14

Rough_Rock
I did a search all over the net and could not find anything close in price to what I have paid. I think a really got a great deal on this diamond!! With the clarity of VVS1 I found VVS2's but were priced liked 1200+ more than the 1 I bought!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Clarity has nothing to do with "sparkle"...it's all about cut quality... your stone could be very nice indeed! and you say you are happy with it!!! Your guy's prices seem good...and a vvs1 is nice mentally! You have almost a flawless stone!
1.gif
Let's not forget that the larger table and smaller depth has resulted in a stone that looks pretty darn big for its carat weight...Even though we are cut quality nuts here...I (and a lot of people here) can totally appreciate a nice big stone too!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I think you got a good deal too! I think you need to post some pictures when you bring it home
1.gif

kavala14

Rough_Rock
Once I get the crown height I will post it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A princess cut that grades 2A can be a lovely diamond. Don't discount it for this grade or reject it becsause of this grade. Just be sure you love the look of the stone.

Just like color and clarity, you can go down a bit in cut quality, especially in fancy shapes, without seeing some visual problem. Only a very few princess cuts meet even the 2A grade, so I wouldn't be too worried.

kavala14

Rough_Rock
David,

Thanks for the reassurance, I think i was over analyzing my stone.

Kavala14

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OOPS- when I said "Just b/c a stone happens to be a "2A" DOES NOT mean it will perform better than a 1A...."

I left out a NOT....I meant to say that Just b/c stone happens to be a 2A does not mean it will not perform better than a 1A
1.gif
Sorry!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results