shape
carat
color
clarity

which shape to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elmo65

Rough_Rock
Hi Y''all!

Been reading this message board for awhile and I am curious as to your opinions about the shape of stones. I am going to be in the market for a new stone and size does matter! I am thinking about a round or an emerald cut (talk about apples and oranges!)
twirl.gif
and want to know if you all feel that certain shapes look larger in the same carat size than others? (I also think cushion cuts are pretty)

I love reading this board, I have learned alot

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I love both shapes as well (especially Asscher-type-cuts), but I found that the pattern didn't show up quite as nicely as I liked on the sub-1 ct stones. More or less, I found I liked ~.75 ct rounds and ~1.25+ ct emerald cuts. However, I liked the smaller size better, so I stuck with a round cut.

This is so completely subjective that it's fairly nutty to even give my opinion, but I hope it helps.

Oh, actually, let me note an exception -- I really liked smaller rectangular emerald-cuts in graduated sizes, like this:

DM15500300_EC_100_zoom.jpg

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/22/2004 10:34:01 PM elmo65 wrote:

want to know if you all feel that certain shapes look larger in the same carat size than others?----------------

EDITTED TO ADD: PLEASE DO NOT USE MY PHOTOS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

Pears and marquise will look larger, for carat weight. Asschers will look smaller.

Here's some comparison pix: a .99ct round next to a 1.01 ct. marquise:

marquise3.jpg

Here is a 2.28ct. ct. round, then 1.01 ct. marquise, and a 2.01 ct. pear: (as you can see, the marquise is longer than the round, and nearly as long as the pear)

marquise4.jpg

(All rings shown are mine!
1.gif
)

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Rounds will tend to look "bigger" for their weight; it's their nature. I also agree that in very small sizes, asschers and emeralds tend to fade out a bit.

Look around at a LOT of stones, especially well-cut ones (this is more of a challenge with fancies) and get a good read on what you like best.
1.gif

Keep us posted!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
EDITTED TO ADD: PLEASE DO NOT USE MY PHOTOS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

Another comparison shot: from the top down: the .99 ct. round, 1.64ct. round, the 2.28 t. round, and a 1.77ct. asscher (which is probably comparable to a 1.25 ct. round in size).

big4sun1.jpg

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
Hi mary,
I would like to know regarding the color adn clarity grade for pear-shaped diamond.It looks beautiful and big.
Does it exhibit a bow-tie or just a slight shade at the belly of the pear? What about the other few fancy-shaped diamonds? does the bow-tie look prominent?
seen some of the pics you posted at diamondtalk... like your 'big rocks' very much...
appl.gif

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/23/2004 5:27:28 AM yeewl wrote:

Hi mary,

I would like to know regarding the color adn clarity grade for pear-shaped diamond.
appl.gif
----------------

My pear is K color and Internally Flawless. It is 2.01 ct.
1.gif
It does show a bow tie in some lighting conditions, but not so bad that it bothers me. My marquise does not show a bow tie in ANY lighting! It is a G color/ SI2 stone.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the look of emerald cuts. My engagement ring is an emerald cut. But I get more compliments when I wear my pave set RB.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results