shape
carat
color
clarity

Teacher, is it ok....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
...to have favorite students? Of course I love all of my kids, but I do have a few that are my favorites. It kind of makes me feel bad to say it, but I just have a stronger connection with some, more than others. Anyone else have a similar situation?

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Of course it''s okay.

Now, it is NOT okay for your favoritism towards one student to affect any other student, or even that student grade wise or opportunity wise. For example, just because you like them doesn''t mean they can turn in a crap assignment and pass. I am not suggesting you do this, but I have seen many teachers who do this to "rid" themselves of students they dislike or find hard to deal with.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2010 9:31:52 PM
Author:Tuckins1
...to have favorite students? Of course I love all of my kids, but I do have a few that are my favorites. It kind of makes me feel bad to say it, but I just have a stronger connection with some, more than others. Anyone else have a similar situation?
Why wouldn''t you feel like that? NO ONE likes everyone equally. It''s why some people are our friends and some are not, simple as that. Kids are younger, but they ARE just people, after all. Now, if you can''t do your job properly because of that - grading objectively and being fair in discipline and how you deal face-to-face with a kid - well, that could be a problem. The only thing you can do is self-check when making decisions that aren''t numerically based. But the mere fact that you feel a connection with some kids and not with others? No problem. It means you''re human. (That last sentence is verbatim from the hubs) The true test is how do you treat the kids you don''t like.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 9:57:05 PM
Author: ksinger
Date: 3/27/2010 9:31:52 PM

Author:Tuckins1

Why wouldn''t you feel like that? NO ONE likes everyone equally. It''s why some people are our friends and some are not, simple as that. Kids are younger, but they ARE just people, after all. Now, if you can''t do your job properly because of that - grading objectively and being fair in discipline and how you deal face-to-face with a kid - well, that could be a problem. The only thing you can do is self-check when making decisions that aren''t numerically based. But the mere fact that you feel a connection with some kids and not with others? No problem. It means you''re human. (That last sentence is verbatim from the hubs) The true test is how do you treat the kids you don''t like.

Exactly. There are some real "trouble" kids at our school... Some teachers are just blatantly rude to them, even if the kid is simply having small talk. I do, at times, have to remind myself that they are just children and we can''t hold grudges against them. Last year I had a student tell me he hates me because I am white... (He didn''t want to be in special ed, and he took it out on me) It was hard for me to face him and still WANT to help him, but of course, I did because he is just a boy. I would never show favoritism to any students, but some of my kids just make me smile a little wider.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Of course it's fine to feel that way. You're human, they're human - that's the nature of human interactions.

It only becomes wrong if you act preferentially towards those students. Trust me - it is VERY obvious when teachers do this, and it's a quick way to lose your students' respect. Just guard against that and you'll be fine.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2010 5:40:29 AM
Author: LilyKat
Of course it''s fine to feel that way. You''re human, they''re human - that''s the nature of human interactions.

It only becomes wrong if you act preferentially towards those students. Trust me - it is VERY obvious when teachers do this, and it''s a quick way to lose your students'' respect. Just guard against that and you''ll be fine.
Ditto!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely have had a few kids I''ve bonded with more than others over the years, but I don''t have a teacher''s pet or anything like that (I don''t show favoritism) . I think it''s only natural to connect with some people more than others, even if they''re younger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results