shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you look the part?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
i do - on occasion. and on occasion - not.

yesterday in Single Stone i was wearing a baggy pair of knee length shorts, a nice, but plain cotton interlock top, and a flat pair of walking sandals. no make up. tiffany elsa peretti earrings (open heart design) and elsa peretti platinum band with a....2pt diamond in it! woo hoo! (laughing)

last night we went out to dinner and i wore silk trousers from neiman marcus, a silk georgette blouse and stuart weitzman sandals, with a prada bag, diamond band rings and diamond studs.

so kinda both ends of the spectrum.

at the moment i''m wearing a long sleeved t-shirt and my favorite pyjama pants. i am, however, wearing underwear, so this in and of itself is an accomplishment.

things could be worse.

9.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/25/2010 12:50:17 PM
Author: cayce

Date: 3/25/2010 12:15:33 PM
Author: lucyandroger
Nope

We live in an affluent area but if I''m not at work, 99% of the time I''m in jeans and an old navy/ gap top. We drive a Hyundai Elantra and plus, we''re pretty young.

When we were checking out settings for my ring, we visited Quest Jewelers. The SA asked me about my centerstone and the convo went like this:

Me - It''s a one point three carat J VS2

SA - You mean one point zero three

Me - Ummm..No, I mean what I said - one point three

SA - Oh, okay. Do you have it with you?

(FI pulls out stone)

SA - This is an absolutely beautiful stone. Is it a family stone?

Me - No, we bought it.

I was a bit insulted at the time but now it just makes me laugh. She definitly lost our business.

I am really surprised to hear that, I am usually in sweats with no makeup and drive an 8 year old honda civic, but Pete and everyone else at Quest has always treated me like a celebrity. As a matter of fact, last time we went in (to pick up up a necklace that one of my dogs stole and chewed up that Pete repaired at no charge) my fiance and I looked like homeless people, we had been working out in the yard & decided to go out and grab some lunch while we were out went to pick up my necklace.
I once heard that the jewelry stores near Boston Commons could usually separate the spenders from the lookers. The real spenders (who would not only buy an expensive piece but become a regular customer) would walk in dressed in plains jeans or sweats, they lived in the very expensive neighbourhood and would stop by on their day to day business. People who dressed up were (usually) not from the neighbourhood, were trying to impress/intimadate the salespeople and were usually just browsing (aka, trying expensive pieces for fun).

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Lady Disdain. You know, I think a lot of you who think you don't look the part might be surprised at how others perceive you. It's not about how dressed up you are in smart clothes, makeup and heels. In fact, here in the UK, it's those with lower incomes who tend to wear "flashy" outfits, while the wealthy tend to wear subtle, understated casuals and (not infrequently) muddy wellies. It's not just clothes - it's also general grooming choices, your accent, your grammar, how you present yourself, and so on.

I've seen photos on PS of a lot of the people who have posted above saying they don't look the part, and I'd have to say, sweats or not, there would be no doubt in my mind that you CAN afford the diamonds you're wearing
2.gif
But maybe it's different in the US...

cayce

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 2:43:39 PM
Author: LilyKat
I agree with Lady Disdain. You know, I think a lot of you who think you don''t look the part might be surprised at how others perceive you. It''s not about how dressed up you are in smart clothes, makeup and heels. In fact, here in the UK, it''s those with lower incomes who tend to wear ''flashy'' outfits, while the wealthy tend to wear subtle, understated casuals and (not infrequently) muddy wellies. It''s not just clothes - it''s also general grooming choices, your accent, how you present yourself, and so on.

I''ve seen photos on PS of a lot of the people who have posted above saying they don''t look the part, and I''d have to say, sweats or not, there would be no doubt in my mind that you CAN afford the diamonds you''re wearing
2.gif
But maybe it''s different in the US...

That''s a good point, my FI''s family has a lot more money than mine and most of them tend to dress like homeless people. And my FI thinks it is profoundly tacky when I leave the house in sweats and flip flops wearing 5 carats of diamonds, my crystal encrusted Bulgari trifocals and a designer handbag
19.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Kinda.

I always have my nails painted nicely and when I work I dress well, with heels, hair all done, and makeup, one ring on each hand, bracelet, necklace and earrings.

When I am off I usually have on a headband, workout pants or shorts and a tshirt and sneakers or flip flops in the summer time, no makeup and no jewlery.

Would love to drive the part but

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 12:45:59 PM
Author: vip0802
no, i don''t think i look the part at all.

i live in MD (around the DC metro area) and it''s common to see an expensive lifestyle around here...especially around the Potomac area. so when i think of someone who love/wears fine jewelry, i stereotypically think of the women who live there. i used to work at upscale jewelry store, and a lot of my clients were bored housewives who would drop ~$2k every time they came in. or their husbands who would buy them outrageous pieces for every single special occasion.

i''m very much like you, waxing lyrical. i too am the jewelry lover (snob) amongst my friends, but they understand since i basically grew up around jewelry. every once in a while i do like to dress up, but i''m pretty casual the majority of the time. i don''t indulge in designer handbags, clothing or shoes (love Old Navy and Target!). i do love makeup though, but they''re all drugstore brands. i only have one tattoo and multiple piercings, but they''re not all visible. i tend to spend money on good food, electronics and gadgets.

I love gadgets and electronics! I''m trying to convince DH to get a home theater/projector when we move. I like spending money on good food. Love Whole Foods and Trader Joe''s. I spend a small fortune on perfume, hair and skin care.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I hardly ever wear make up, don't do anything to my hair, and dress very casual, jeans most days (even to work).

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
I don''t. I carry nice purses and try to look presentable but I don''t wear makeup or even jewelry and my business casual tends to be light on the "business". My boyfriend definitely looks the part. Sales people tend to pay more attention to him and let me wander on my merry way, which is how I like it.
9.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I''m a student at the moment, so it''s jeans and sweaters, but I bought them when I was still working, so they are designer jeans and really nice sweaters. Does that count? Some days I go mad and put some bare minerals makeup on. If I''m really pushing the boat out, I style my hair with a hairdryer and straightening irons, instead of on the air conditioning unit in my car.

Oh yes. My Car. It''s a big old Citroen, coming up for ten years old. I doubled its value by buying a university parking permit to stick on it. It was a birthday present from DH the year we got engaged and I''ll part with it when it hasn''t got another mile left in it. I would keep it however much money I had, because I love it, but it isn''t what you''d describe as a status symbol. My maternity gift is worth easily four times what the car is worth.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heck no. Well..my collection consists of..my ering and some smaller rings I wear at times. If I "dress up" like at the other job I had last year..I wore a nice shirt I got on sale someplace with dress pants from Walmart. So then I suppose it would look fine-but I don''t have honking diamonds either, so I guess then I would fit a little bit. If it''s nice I''ll wear "dressy" flip flops and my tattooed feet are visible. Otherwise, I wear jeans if I want to look presentable and not look like a ragamuffin in my jammies and crocs.

You know how there are women who, it could be 40mph wind, raining, or 90 degrees and 90% humidity, they could haul ass down a street like their pants were on fire, and stop, walk into a store and look perfect? Yeah, that''s not me. There''s no making a silk purse out of this sow''s ear no matter how much pretty jewelry I put on!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 2:43:39 PM
Author: LilyKat
I agree with Lady Disdain. You know, I think a lot of you who think you don''t look the part might be surprised at how others perceive you. It''s not about how dressed up you are in smart clothes, makeup and heels. In fact, here in the UK, it''s those with lower incomes who tend to wear ''flashy'' outfits, while the wealthy tend to wear subtle, understated casuals and (not infrequently) muddy wellies. It''s not just clothes - it''s also general grooming choices, your accent, your grammar, how you present yourself, and so on.

I''ve seen photos on PS of a lot of the people who have posted above saying they don''t look the part, and I''d have to say, sweats or not, there would be no doubt in my mind that you CAN afford the diamonds you''re wearing
2.gif
But maybe it''s different in the US...
I''m not much to look at and its been awhile since ive bought expensive designer(I was partial to YSL,Armani, and D&G)but these days its more Dockers and plain white dress shirts.I live in a nice area,but drive a 10 year old car(cars mean little to me in the way of status)I agree that people look at how you speak as well as carry your self to determine how you will be perceived.My jewelry does help with the Image.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m actually quite the tomboy in dress and behavior/interests with the notable exception of jewelery.

Usually I wear hoodies that are oversized and falling apart, over jeans and (no longer white) Nikes. Loose ponytail, makeup= suntan lotion.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My car is around 9 years old, but it''s very well maintained, and it''s a brightly colored sports car (''01 Honda Prelude) if I happen to be driving my husband''s car, it''s a ''07 VW Rabbit. I don''t really know what either of those say about me.

As for clothing, my closet mostly consists of Old Navy, Anthropologie, Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic. And my shoes range from $3 flip flops from Old Navy to $600+ heels from Magrit and Casadei.

Now I live in one of the most expensive areas of town and I''m surrounded by newer custom homes.

So, do I look the part? Probably sometimes. But not when I''m wearing sweats and Crocs, no makeup, and my hair is in messy disarray. Which is probably 95% of the time.

But then again, I always wear colored stones, and hardly any diamonds. So yeah.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
No. I think I must look like an old hippie. Because I worked for so many years as a nurse, my wardrobe consisted mostly of uniforms. I have a few nice tops and slacks and dresses for special occasions. But for me they are like putting on another uniform.

I favor jeans and unusual T shirts from other countries.
My hair is long, wild and rapidly turning white.
A child in a grocery store once yelled out
"Mommy! Doesn''t that lady look just like a Troll".
I never wear makeup unless I''m "Going to a wedding"

Around my neck I wear a rose quartz Magatama on a cord and a gold Miraculous medal on a heavy gold chain.
On my fingers are my selections for the day from my ring collection. Naked fingers make me nervous if I forget. Sometimes I wear one ring on each hand. Sometimes several on each finger. Most are antique engagement and wedding rings and far from being bad Karma I swear I can feel the loving spirit in which they were originally given.

I live in a modest home in a nice neighborhood and drive an older beige Toyota Corolla that blends into the scenery.
I have never worn any designer clothing. The only "branded" thing I have is my cat. And that is only because we love the breed''s disposition.

I am very thrifty in many ways so I can splurge on things I love that will last. Jewelers love telling me that "Those old cuts don''t really have any value. Let me trade it in for this nice new L I3"
What do I know. I''m just an old hippie
17.gif

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
**Thread-jack alert**

WL- You''re in Atlanta?! Which area, if you don''t mind me asking?

**End Thread-jack**

I''m a student, so i''m usually in jeans and a t-shirt, so I would say I definitely do not look the part. But I still love the jewels!
9.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 12:50:17 PM
Author: cayce

Date: 3/25/2010 12:15:33 PM
Author: lucyandroger
Nope

We live in an affluent area but if I''m not at work, 99% of the time I''m in jeans and an old navy/ gap top. We drive a Hyundai Elantra and plus, we''re pretty young.

When we were checking out settings for my ring, we visited Quest Jewelers. The SA asked me about my centerstone and the convo went like this:

Me - It''s a one point three carat J VS2

SA - You mean one point zero three

Me - Ummm..No, I mean what I said - one point three

SA - Oh, okay. Do you have it with you?

(FI pulls out stone)

SA - This is an absolutely beautiful stone. Is it a family stone?

Me - No, we bought it.

I was a bit insulted at the time but now it just makes me laugh. She definitly lost our business.

I am really surprised to hear that, I am usually in sweats with no makeup and drive an 8 year old honda civic, but Pete and everyone else at Quest has always treated me like a celebrity. As a matter of fact, last time we went in (to pick up up a necklace that one of my dogs stole and chewed up that Pete repaired at no charge) my fiance and I looked like homeless people, we had been working out in the yard & decided to go out and grab some lunch while we were out went to pick up my necklace.
My guess is it was our ages (25 & 26) that threw her off....I can''t say for sure. That was our only visit to Quest. Pete sounds very nice though.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think so. I dress pretty casually and I never wear makeup. My car''s a basic Toyota -- nothing flashy.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 4:09:59 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
**Thread-jack alert**

WL- You''re in Atlanta?! Which area, if you don''t mind me asking?

**End Thread-jack**

I''m a student, so i''m usually in jeans and a t-shirt, so I would say I definitely do not look the part. But I still love the jewels!
9.gif

I''m in Sandy Springs. I''ll be here ''til late April where it''s back to Eastern NC. I love this area. Too bad there isn''t a Marine base here.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it has to be either "sweats and flip-flops" or "designer clothes and makeup." My weekend uniform is ballet flats, skinny jeans, a white t-shirt, classic 3/4 length trench and a big colorful scarf. Comfortable, casual, and I feel like I fit in basically anywhere I go and carry any jewelry I care to wear. It doesn't take much effort, thank god, because I otherwise couldn't be bothered.
2.gif

Car is a Volvo C30, reasonably fast, small, good styling, and I wouldn't be embarrassed to drive one of my clients somewhere. Pretty much my only requirements.

luckyme502

Rough_Rock
I think I probably do look the part. I have naturally curly hair, so even when I do nothing with it it looks like I did. I keep my nails manicured at all times, in the summer, my feet are always pedicured. I should probably own stock in Coach, I don''t think I ever carry a bag that isn''t Coach and they have to be leather or suede, not any other material. I always wear my diamond stud earrings. I wear clothes from Old Navy, but I don''t think that matters so much. I try to always look put together. I also have a shoe fetish. Over 60 pairs right now, and I just had a shoe purge when we moved into our new house in August. So, my shoes, whether expensive or not, always coordinate with what I am wearing. Like right now my favorite thing to wear is a pair of shinny zebra print ballet flats, jeans, a tank top and a very fitted black 3/4 length sleeve hoodie. Perfect for the weather right now! I usually wear make-up. I drive a 2000 Honda Accord; however, we don''t own a flat panel TV, a blueray player, we are not into electronics. We have nice furniture though. I think it is just where your priorities are.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I'm going to work, yes, I do. I'm young and look younger, so I take extra care with my professional "look"... and depending on client location and organisation I've found I do sometimes get a more favourable reception with the Ering, eternity, and 2ctw studs - and if FI drops me off in the hybrid. What exactly designer suits and jewels have to do with computers, I've yet to understand!

I agree that it's about how you present yourself rather than what you wear. I have an accent, and I was sent to public school (private) and learnt the Queen's spelling and grammar (along with carriage and posture in formal etiquette as a child, dance, dressage...) but have lived in so many different places now that I sometimes have a strange way with words. Those facts make me "alien" and "exotic" in SF, CA, and allow me to slide between classes much more effectively.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My diamonds aren't big enough to make it difficult to "look the part." My jeans are all designer, but my t-shirts are from Old Navy. Shoes are ones around $50-100 (nothing super expensive). Wearing .82 ctw stud earrings seem about appropriate for someone wearing $175 jeans
2.gif

ETA - just was looking back at posts. . .I always wear makeup and never wear sweats out in public, so I look, even on causual days, mostly put together. Hair done about 5 days out of the week - sometimes it's given a break from my flat iron. My car IS 9 years old, but my house is in an affluent area and it's a decent size at 2,400 sq. feet. Seems like I'm balanced in that some things make me look the part and others don't quite.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Probably not. I don't see men dripping in diamonds. I think I mainly just love looking at diamonds and learning about them, I say that I want a diamond ring, but I'm not a rapper so I don't I can't I pull that off.

ETA: From a purely aesthetic point of view. I dress in a lot of Ralph Lauren, Gap, Banana Republic clothing and I drive a Mercedes SUV that I affectionately refer to as, "the daddy wagon."

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I only dress up a few times per month for some event or to mediate a case. Otherwise it''s jeans and t-shirts and very nice jewelry.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 12:03:28 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
Nope. Half my wardrobe is athletic UVA sweats.
UVA! Love it! Didn''t go there myself but my sister did (undergrad & law). I went to summer camp there as a teen though. Awesome campus.

But back to the topic:

Well, sometimes maybe ... but most of the time not. Wellllll -- maybe most of the time yes. LOL. I can''t decide. I think the *style* of clothes I wear out & combos are preppy/urban/classic. So it is probably a middle/upper class look even w/o a ton of designer names etc & even though it is usually casual. The details probably help: sunglasses, watch, interesting shoes but I swear I hardly spend anything on my wardrobe since I''ve been working from home mostly in the last 10-15 yrs. Lets stay this: I try but I don''t try *hard*.
3.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 5:47:19 PM
Author: decodelighted

UVA! Love it! Didn''t go there myself but my sister did (undergrad & law). I went to summer camp there as a teen though. Awesome campus.

But back to the topic:

Well, sometimes maybe ... but most of the time not. Wellllll -- maybe most of the time yes. LOL. I can''t decide. I think the *style* of clothes I wear out & combos are preppy/urban/classic. So it is probably a middle/upper class look even w/o a ton of designer names etc & even though it is usually casual. The details probably help: sunglasses, watch, interesting shoes but I swear I hardly spend anything on my wardrobe since I''ve been working from home mostly in the last 10-15 yrs. Lets stay this: I try but I don''t try *hard*.
3.gif
Dangit. Now I miss Cville even more than usual. I didn''t go to UVA, but BF is from Cville. *sigh* Must find a way to move there someday...

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
It depends, most of the time yes because I drive an expensive car, wear expensive purses (I love my LVs
9.gif
), and wear nice clothes. The only time I don''t is when I go to class, I''m normally tired on days I have class so my hair is pulled up and I wear comfy clothes (Uggs, Northface)... actually I usually still carry expensive purses and wear some jewelry to class so I guess yes all of the time...

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:50:50 PM
Author: whitby_2773
i do - on occasion. and on occasion - not.

yesterday in Single Stone i was wearing a baggy pair of knee length shorts, a nice, but plain cotton interlock top, and a flat pair of walking sandals. no make up. tiffany elsa peretti earrings (open heart design) and elsa peretti platinum band with a....2pt diamond in it! woo hoo! (laughing)

last night we went out to dinner and i wore silk trousers from neiman marcus, a silk georgette blouse and stuart weitzman sandals, with a prada bag, diamond band rings and diamond studs.

so kinda both ends of the spectrum.

at the moment i''m wearing a long sleeved t-shirt and my favorite pyjama pants. i am, however, wearing underwear, so this in and of itself is an accomplishment.

things could be worse.

9.gif
The underwear comment made me laugh. According to my husband I have a funky classic look. I am a social worker by profession but I work in an academic environment so I fit in as it is pretty casual. For my area I have pretty large stones.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 5:47:19 PM
Author: decodelighted

But back to the topic:

3.gif

Yeah, my husband went there. You should see his Cavaliers tattoo. I love the campus too!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 5:00:48 PM
Author: MC
My diamonds aren''t big enough to make it difficult to ''look the part.''

Ditto. I care a lot about style, but I don''t make enough money to be able to care about fashion to the extent I would like. I keep very current and incorporate trends into my style, but am not trendy.

I would never be seen without make-up and styled hair, but I don''t wear much make-up and I make sure my hair style comes from the cut and not the work I put into it.

I rely entirely on public transportation now and rent, though we do rent a nice house in a culturally vibrant urban area.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results