shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you happy to spend on (besides jewelry)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 7:47:01 PM
Author: luv2sparkle

things I don''t spluge on-most books-we have a great library system and I can get any book through inter-library loan. I read a ton.
Meals out-once in a while-I''d rather make the same stuff at home.
I''ve kind of cut back on books. . .my kids read SO MANY books that it makes sense to go to the library. . . for me though, I usually read 2-3 books at a time so it takes me longer to finish them and so I buy my books and check out ones for the kids. I just looked online and I currently have 32 books checked out. lol! My kids read series books that take only a couple days to finish so we go through a lot of them quickly.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
High quality food (preferably local!)
Good wine & beer (and spirits for that matter--if we''re going to have a drink at home, it''s going to be top shelf, darn it!)
Well-made furniture & household items
Upgrades to our home
Travel

FI and I are both of the opinion that we''d rather spend more on something that will last us forever than go through several cheap versions of the same thing and not be as happy with them. We research major purchases to figure out exactly what we want. We also try to buy locally (or at least avoid stuff made in China), which means that sometimes we end up spending more, but not always. For example, we just got new dressers for our bedroom and rather than buy them from a big box store, we had them made by the furniture maker across the street. It was cheaper than getting something similar at pottery barn/crate and barrel/etc. and they are solid cherry wood.

Also, life is too short to drink bad wine, eat mediocre food, or skimp on vacations.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
My maid! We have our house cleaned professionally every two weeks, and it''s a luxury that I just won''t give up.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a weird one:

Drug rehab for my son.

This is the second round. Spent almost 20K the first time. I thought when he got to the end of himself this time I would look for a less expensive detox. But when we talked to him and he was willing to do anything
to get clean and stay clean, my husband and I talked and both said Rapid Detox at the same time. Then he will spend a year with Teen Challenge, and that is free. Hallelujah! We will gladly spend the cash
to have my son back! He is an awesome young man and worth every dime we have.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Massage
Wellness: yoga/dance
Vitamins/Herbs
Organic produce
workshops and classes-if I want to learn it enough, I hardly bat an eye.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 12:13:51 AM
Author: ladypirate
High quality food (preferably local!)
Good wine & beer (and spirits for that matter--if we''re going to have a drink at home, it''s going to be top shelf, darn it!)
Well-made furniture & household items
Upgrades to our home
Travel

FI and I are both of the opinion that we''d rather spend more on something that will last us forever than go through several cheap versions of the same thing and not be as happy with them. We research major purchases to figure out exactly what we want. We also try to buy locally (or at least avoid stuff made in China), which means that sometimes we end up spending more, but not always. For example, we just got new dressers for our bedroom and rather than buy them from a big box store, we had them made by the furniture maker across the street. It was cheaper than getting something similar at pottery barn/crate and barrel/etc. and they are solid cherry wood.

Also, life is too short to drink bad wine, eat mediocre food, or skimp on vacations.
DH and I subscribe to the "do it once, do it right" philosophy when it comes to home improvements, furniture and other big ticket items. When we re-modeled our house, we had cabinetry custom made by a local company. It did not cost much more than "semi-custom" from Home Depot, and the quality is so much better. Plus, everything was made to the exact measurements we needed, so there were no filler strips, etc. required.

I try not to pay full price. I shop around for the best deals and negotiate for purchases like furniture and jewelry, but I am willing to pay a little more to get something high quality that will make me happy for a long time. I''ll "splurge" on the following:

education (DH and I each have multiple degrees, and expect to have to pay a fair amount for DD, either for private school tuition or higher property taxes to get into a better school district than where we live now.)

furniture, cabinetry and other fixtures for our home

good wine and beer, organic milk, cheese

an occasional really good restaurant meal (nothing makes me feel more ripped off that a mediocre "mid-priced" ($30-40) meal that I could have prepared better at home for $10-15

well-made wardrobe staples

shower gels, bubble bath, body scrubs, masks and creams (This is my personal indulgence -- the number of bottles of body stuff in our bath room annoys DH. He doesn''t understand why I am always collecting some new "goop" that catches my eye when I already have so many of the "same thing" at home. Origins and L''Occitane are favorites, but I also collect new things when I travel, like volcanic mud and coffee scrubs from Costa Rica and milk and honey shower gel and body cream from France.)

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Education
Cats
Health booster (vitamin)

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Fuel. I have a diesel car and few things I love more are putting money into a full tank and taking a nice long trip!

Dark chocolate. Good bras.

I wish I could spend more on skincare items, but I am wary of what will work with my rosacea. I only use a prescription cream right now, and to me, my skin looks old and tired.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
-Clothes
-Shoes
-Perfume
-Hair products
-Things for my car
-Food

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 12:02:29 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
Here''s a weird one:

Drug rehab for my son.

This is the second round. Spent almost 20K the first time. I thought when he got to the end of himself this time I would look for a less expensive detox. But when we talked to him and he was willing to do anything
to get clean and stay clean, my husband and I talked and both said Rapid Detox at the same time. Then he will spend a year with Teen Challenge, and that is free. Hallelujah! We will gladly spend the cash
to have my son back! He is an awesome young man and worth every dime we have.
Luv2sparkle - I''m so glad your son is doing good. Best thoughts go out to you and your family.

My newest happy was buying soy candles scented with natural blackberry escentual oils. Can''t wait to use them.

brilliance4me

Shiny_Rock
family vacations
education
designer clothes and shoes for my son
different types of wines
my pets vet appointments
electronics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results