shape
carat
color
clarity

Reliable gemologists in Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RachelA

Rough_Rock
Hi,

My fiance gave me an engagement ring this past week - it''s a round brilliant in a beautiful platinum setting - everything seemed okay until he showed me the certificate for the stone. I think that he might have been taken by the dealer. I''m not an expert, but I''ve seen my share of diamonds, and I don''t think that the stone in my ring matches the cert. The size seems about right, but I''m not sure about the cut, clarity or colour.

I''d like to have it independantly evaluated and appraised -- I don''t really want my boyfriend to know, so ideally I''d like to be able to drop the ring off and have it back the same day - it would be even better if it could be done while I wait. I don''t know if this is possible or not. Can a gemologist even evaluate a diamond that is mounted in a ring?

I live in Montreal (Canada), and would appreciate it if anybody could recommend a reliable gemologist here that will give me a straight and fair evaluation. If it doesn''t jive with the cert the dealer gave my boyfriend (I mean fiance ... I''m still new at this), then I will have to break the news to him and we''ll return the ring. I know it''s the thought that counts, but I don''t want my sweetie to get ripped off either!

Thanks so much,
Rachel

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
There's a guy on here from Montreal that posts from time to time and seems to know a lot about the diamond scene in Montreal. His name is Trichome (I think that's it). Try PMing and emailing him, he might be able to recommend something.

Otherwise, some of the appraisers or maybe Leonid might know someone reliable. Montreal is a big enough city that we should be able to find you someone!

Daniela

RachelA

Rough_Rock
Thanks Daniela. I appreciate it! I've sent him a PM. Is there anybody else around here that knows Montreal too? As far as I'm concerned, the more options, the better. Thanks again,

Rachel

dfcom

Rough_Rock
The Jewelers Vigilance Canada website lists these four Montreal gemologists as being fully Accredited Appraisers by the Canadian Jewellers Institute. Though I'm not familiar with the people or the institute, I'd be included to believe that they would all be able to help you out. For those interested, they also list many other gemologists in Ontario and throughout Canada on their site http://www.jewellersvigilance.ca/html/jvc_appraisers.htm.

Yves Morrier

Les Gemmologistes Associes

603 - 1255 Carre Phillips

Montreal, QC H3B 3G1

Phone: 514 528-1828

Fax: 514 528-1824

Email: [email protected]

Odile Civitello

EGM Laboratoire d'expertise et evaluation inc.

900 - 416 boul. De Maisonneuve O

Montreal, QC H3A 1L2

Phone: 514 844-4661

Fax: 514 844-4661

Florence Bertrand

EMG Laboratoire d'expertise et evaluation Inc.

900-416 boul. De Maisonneuve O

Montreal, Quebec

H3A 1L2

Phone 514-831-8002

Annie Marcil

Les Gemmologists Associes

-603-1255 Carre Phillips

Montreal, Quebec

H3B 3G1

Phone: 514-528-1828

Fax: 514-5281824

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results