shape
carat
color
clarity

Cool Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jules1

Rough_Rock
Has anyone heard of Cool Diamonds based in Hatton Garden? They have a facility on their website www.cooldiamonds.com where you can select all the details of the diamond you want, either on its own or in the ring of your choice, and they will tell you the cost. Do these prices sound reasonable and are they known to be reputable?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think an Internet website that has a link to "All you need to know about diamonds" and has NOTHING about cut quality to be found, is badly lacking in what needs to be presented to the consumer. Now, I am biased in this regard, as cutting means something to me. Now, I'm not alone on this although we may not agree about every little detail, I think virtually all participants on Pricescope would consider the measurement of cut quality and light behaviour of high importance to them when discussing or buying a diamond.

The rest of thewebsite is "nice"....I don't think I see much innovation in approach. It is classy, clean, easy enough on the eyes, etc.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, regardless of wether you care about cut or not the price will reflect it. If it does not, than be sure that the margin of the seller does, since cut does affect pricing...

And there is no way to tell what the respective umbers are based on.

Definitely like tha way they present those setting 3D
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DON'T BE NAIVE ABOUT THE PRICE REFLACTING THE QUALITY OF THE CUT. You are 100% correct in that the cut SHOULD be reflected in the price, but how is a consumer to know that is the case with any individual diamond or with any idividual "price"? A "price" is set by a seller. A "value", on the other hand, is determined by the free market.

The value of similar diamonds is similar, but their prices may greatly vary. You need the facts in order to make meaningful shopping decisions.

Bells and whistles on a website are fine, but the meat of the issue when it comes to spending YOUR money is the quality of the information presented and how it relates to what is being offered for sale.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
While the proportions and cut quality of a diamond are a factor as to the market price of a diamond, the mark-up for diamonds varies dramatically from vendor to vendor especially in the world of Brick & Mortar where the "value" of jewelry is often perceived in direct correlation to the reputation and decor of the store.

Maybe we are misunderstanding what you're saying Valeria, but if we interpret it correctly we have to disagree because if price were an actual indication of quality, the retailer up the street from us would not be getting 3x the cost for the diamonds that he sells which are of average make while we're only making a few percent on our ideal cut puppies... Thus his 1.00 carat, F, VS-2 of "average proportions" sells for considerably more than our 1.00 carat, F, VS-2 with zero ideal cut proportions and GIA Excellent polish and symmetry. Fact. The reality is that we "could" mark our diamonds up much higher, especially in our store because the decor and design is right up there with the best, but we don't because we don't want to have to face one of our clients while standing in line at the grocery store or something and have to explain why we reamed him / her on price simply because they purchased their item in our store as opposed to off of our web site... In the traditional retail environment, value is perception and there are no standard rules for the mark-up of profit, it varies from dealer to dealer like the wind...

GLudlow

Rough_Rock
I just visited their site...

Ouch! The browser became possessed, enlarged itself to the size of my screen like a popup! Very unprofessional in my opinion. As far as their business goes, I can't say anything. But I would not revisit that site, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results