shape
carat
color
clarity

how much to spend on engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Andrew1975

Rough_Rock
I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks now, and I know the old adage of 2 months salary, but that seems so old-fashioned, do you really have to use a formula? Also, she's ambivalent about diamonds but loves Emeralds (she's Colombian, most of the world's emeralds come from there :) ), I was reading this article (here: how much to spend on an engagement ring) and he says it's ok to get a non-diamond ring if you think that would suit her personal tastes better, the bit about hippie-chicks and blood diamonds was something I hadn't thought of, but that has been an issue in recent years and I can see how a girl like that wouldn't be happy about you buying a diamond.

She likes white gold, not yellow, and emeralds do seem to go MUCH better with white metals like platinum and white gold than they do with yellow gold, so maybe that's the route to take.

I don't know, do you guys think it HAS to be a diamond? I mean, we could always change it later if that's what she wants, right?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I think if you look over in colored stones and show me the ring, you will see PLENTY of women have gemstone engagement rings. If she swoons over emeralds but is only *eh* about diamonds, then I''d say she''s the prime candidate for a gemmy e-ring. But don''t expect a beautiful emerald to come cheap!!!

As far as the budget, I also believe you''ll find most of the people on PS will advocate for buying only what you can afford to pay in cash for the ring, or only doing minimal financing (ie: good deals like no interest, or putting it on a credit card to get the miles before completely paying it off)...and I''m in that camp as well.

Before you make any purchases, be sure to head over to Rocky Talky (for diamonds) or Colored Stones (for emeralds or other gemstones) for advice!

Best of luck!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are no hard and fast rules about what to spend... You spend what you can afford.
2.gif

As a heads up, Emeralds are soft... Not the best stone for an ering, and one she will wear every day...

There is a colored stone forum here, so post your questions there, I am sure you''ll get lots of help!!

No you don''''t have to have a diamond as an ering.

Maybe do another green color, such as Savorite, green tourmaline... etc...

Good luck and welcome to PS!!!
35.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and yes.

Colored stones are great for an ering (I have a sapphire:) and don''t spend more than you can afford. YOu''ll see lots of different sizes of rings on PS and they are all gorgeous.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
My mom has a huge diamond engagement ring that she NEVER wears, because she always wanted an emerald ring instead. My dad finally got her one for their 20th wedding anniversary, and she''s worn it with her wedding band as her new engagement ring every day for the last 20 years.

If emeralds make her happy, then that''s what you should get her. My favorite design is an emerald-cut emerald, with two smaller emerald-cut diamond sidestones set in white gold or platinum.

Something like this:

emring.jpg

babygirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi Andrew,
I think you should spend whatever you feel comfortable spending on an engagement ring. My advice to you would be to visit some stores near you to get an idea of ring styles/carat sizes you prefer (and then check Pricescope/the internet for prices, because you can certainly find better deals). I think seeing things in person will help to determine your budget more than anything. I agree with the other posters who mentioned not going into debt over buying a ring. Buy what you can afford. The great thing about an engagement is that the ring is really just the icing on the cake :)

If you say she loves emeralds but isn''t too keen on diamonds, an emerald would probably be a great choice for an engagement ring. However, I''d discuss at least that much with her (diamond vs. emerald) before you buy something. (Women are funny... for stones in general, I
30.gif
sapphires and amethysts, but I''d still much prefer a diamond engagement ring!!) She may also already have a vision of what she''d like her engagement ring to look like or genuinely dislike diamonds, but I think that merits a discussion between you two. You can involve her in the process as much as you''d like (my bf and I have been to look at rings together several times so he can get an idea of what I like, but I have no idea which style he''ll choose when it comes time to buy one, nor do I want to), but I''d at least bring up the emerald vs. diamond question.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the same camp as the other members when it comes to buying what you can afford. And if she loves emeralds, you may want to have a quick discussion as to diamonds vs emeralds and see if she would really want an emerald e-ring vs a diamond one. Good luck on your search!

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/31/2010 9:30:03 AM
Author: Luckyeshe
I''m in the same camp as the other members when it comes to buying what you can afford. And if she loves emeralds, you may want to have a quick discussion as to diamonds vs emeralds and see if she would really want an emerald e-ring vs a diamond one. Good luck on your search!

+1 about discussing it with her. She might love emeralds, but want a traditional diamond ring or another stone.

Also, I''d see if she plans on wearing it all the time as emeralds are pretty soft compared to other gems and might not be good for someone who wears their ring everyday or is pretty hard on jewelry.

OcMrsB

Rough_Rock
buy what you can afford, but definitely be confident you''re sure of her tastes and wants. also make sure the stone you choose can stand up to daily wear...

looking back i wish my husband had spent less on my ering- and had i known then what i know now maybe even a "top drawer" sim or a gemstone. dont get me wrong, i love my diamond- but the markup is highway robbery.

i also wish i had know about PS at that time and PS vendors- while we got a good stone, we paid a little more than we should have. goodluck, youre already off to a great start by doing your homework and asking for advice :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results